Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I shall paraphrase what's in the AP article (the page I found it on has lots of ads):

There is a "Support For Spelling" document being sent to primary schools saying there are too many exceptions for the "i before e, except after c" rule to be a viable one, and teachers should stop teaching it. For ex. sufficient, veil, and their.

Apparently they have a Spelling Society there(!). There are some supporters of continuing to teach the rule, saying it's one of the few that most people tend to remember.

On a personal note: I think I might actually live. I found out out the other night that Hubby's stomach upset was not food poisoning.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I shall paraphrase what's in the AP article (the page I found it on has lots of ads):

There is a "Support For Spelling" document being sent to primary schools saying there are too many exceptions for the "i before e, except after c" rule to be a viable one, and teachers should stop teaching it. For ex. sufficient, veil, and their.

Apparently they have a Spelling Society there(!). There are some supporters of continuing to teach the rule, saying it's one of the few that most people tend to remember.

On a personal note: I think I might actually live. I found out out the other night that Hubby's stomach upset was not food poisoning.

I totally support the concept of a SPELLING SOCIETY. I think it should be mandatory for teachers of
English Grammar and literature. The spell check mechanisms are OK if used properly, unfortunately too
many students rely on them. Give an essay test as I used to do, and see what it produces. I used to
make spelling a big part of my teaching, and would do so even more were I teaching today.
I am not a fan of 'texting' - and I don't care whose feelings that hurts. It is destroying the
concept of spelling.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is destroying the concept of spelling.

Doubtful that txting will destroy anything, and I don't care how many Casandras lament it. Doubtful even more so that "the concept of spelling" in English exists. What we have in English orthography is about the crappiest system imaginable, except perhaps Japanese or Tibetan.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are you not a bit harsh on your English spelling? I loved English because it's grammar and spelling were clearer and had less exceptions than our own. I had better results in English than in Dutch though I like both languages equally.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are you not a bit harsh on your English spelling?

Not at all. I, too, love the English language, but a language is not its spelling system. Our orthography causes more problems than its worth. A semi-phonetic system like Spanish or Italian would be much better suited for pedagogical reasons. And, as I've said before, it ain't going to happen any time soon, short of the destruction of anglophone nation states.

Rather than coming up with cockamamie delusional, anecdotal, ad hoc, and mnemonic spelling rules, we should just use the brute force, rote memorization process. Either way, few will ever master the system, which is pretty much how it's always been.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Q
stranger
stranger
Q

For more about this UK notion, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8110573.stm

and also a recent edition of the free weekly newsletter on English (both UK and US) sent by Michael Quinion from

http://www.worldwidewords.org/

where you can also look up stuff and order a subscription.

old hand
old hand
I don't think they should ditch the rule. Maybe modify it.

Not sure if this works but,

When following a C the I follows E?

old hand
old hand
but a language is not its spelling system. Our orthography causes more problems than its worth.

I wholeheartedly agree ! This is also valid for German, which sees endless squabbles over its "new" orthography. Skills in orthography vary tremendously among people of comparable intelligence. Should the "less gifted ones" be punished?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Qwerty

For more about this UK notion, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8110573.stm

and also a recent edition of the free weekly newsletter on English (both UK and US) sent by Michael Quinion from

/

where you can also look up stuff and order a subscription.

"Good stuff, Maynard", as the old tv commercial said, I read it weekly and have many bookmarked,thanks.

Last edited by LukeJavan8; 06/29/09 05:12 PM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: wsieber
but a language is not its spelling system. Our orthography causes more problems than its worth.

I wholeheartedly agree ! This is also valid for German, which sees endless squabbles over its "new" orthography. Skills in orthography vary tremendously among people of comparable intelligence. Should the "less gifted ones" be punished?

So true, so true. As a high school English teacher it was a real problem, more so than spelling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith