Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
Maybe someone should have asked Camus this question:

"This image or video has been moved or deleted?

formerly known as etaoin...
M
M
Even Web 2.0 can't vanquish absurdity. Good—I think.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: morphememedley
Even Web 2.0 can't vanquish absurdity.

some would say that for web 2.0 to vanquish absurdity it would have to destroy itself.

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
Maybe someone should have asked Camus this question:

Paging BranShea to the Miscellany Forum!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The joke was rather cheap, true. But we can face The Absurd in various ways:
The Faith, the Sysiphian contentment with our "ordeal", the Beauty of it All or the Comic. (suicide and oblivian as negative options)I chose the easiest way out, but.. I'll try my bit:

Existentialism is a philosophical and literary movement that puts individual liberty up front as well as individual, subjective responsability. Existentialism considers every person a unique entity, a unique being who is master of his own acts and destiny, but also -for better or worse- for the values he decides to embrace.

Camus found in the myth of Sysiphus the perfect metaphor for his existentialism. He founded his reasoning on numerous philosophical treaties (below) and writers such as Dostoïevski and Kafka.

The existentialists make a distiction between 'anxieté' and 'angoisse'. Maybe corresponding with 'anxiety and angst' ?
For Kierkegaard 'angst' is born from liberty and is the discovery of a freedom which, while it is nothing, is dressed with infinite power.
For Heidegger, 'angst' is the very essence of mankind and reveals its fond. For Sartre, angst and anxiety blend. 'Angst' is at the same time angst in front of liberty and in front of the nothingness of death.
'Angst' is not ' fear'. Fear is for exterior things: the world and the others. But angst is in the confrontation with one's self.

Philosophic definition:
"The fact of << living in a myth of Sysiphus >> means that one lives in a repetitive absurd situation of which one never sees end nor purpose.

I've read Camus when I was rather young (my snoot) and remember The Pest and The Stranger as good with no unclearness. I remember having found Sysiphus difficult. Would have to read it again .

Last edited by BranShea; 07/27/08 10:54 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeahbut what was the picture of?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Eh, Sysiphus' big rock replaced by an inflatable ball
struck me as funny. But it may be a very subjective piece of fun.
I love lame jokes, (sorry) and sardines.

Here's a multitude of paraphrases:

Rocks

Last edited by BranShea; 07/27/08 04:22 PM. Reason: I thought bolder was the word for a bal-formed rock but it does not exist, ha!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hydra! What's up? This clever cartoon keeps disappearing and appearing like the Cheshire cat! \:D I agree that once was quite enough of the thing.

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I enjoyed your post, BranShea, and like I say, I have no problem with Camus' philosophy. I just think he could have knocked it off in ten pages. But maybe I've been reading too much Borges.

I haven't read Camus' non-fiction yet; but if you say it's different to Sisyphus, that's quite a recommendation.

I consider myself a grateful reader. When I start a book, I really, really want to like it. I have only read a handful of books I absolutely hated, and Sisyphus is at the very top. (Followed by At-Swim-Two-Birds by O'Brien, followed by The Glass Bead Game by Hesse, followed by On the Road by Kerouac).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
here's a link to the beach ball cartoon, originally from The New Yorker, and your Big Rock is (usu.) spelled boulder.

-joe (candy mountain) friday

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith