Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
The First Word: The Search for the Origins of Language
- by Cristine Kenneally

It doesn't take prescience to review a book before you read it, it just takes practice. I amaze myself in my ability to judge a book by its cover with an astonishing amount of postive correlations when I compare my superficial judgements with my opinions after a full read later. No, I don't read the flaps but I do read the chapter headings and look at the author's picture when available.
Enough talk. Here is my review of THE FIRST WORD before I read it.

Before

A fluff piece with no new ideas but Christine Kenneally's latest book does direct the lay reader towards contemporary understandings of language and its role in human culture.

Following the lead of many popular science books of today Christine Kenneally has filled most of her 357 pages with a tiring recapitulation of the thoughts of the pioneers of language genesis. But happily in Chapter I she debunks the tiresome babble of Noam Chomsky so that any serious trains of thought about the origins of language can get back on track without further blithering.

And (as she will report) progress is being made. In Section III - WHAT EVOLVES? - she outlines the long-overdue new understanding of the integral nature of language and culture. These three chapters - 12 SPECIES EVOLVE, 13 CULTURE EVOLVES, 14 WHY THINGS EVOLVE - will be worth the twenty-six bucks.

Because of the general value of the information in these three chapters I rate THE FIRST WORD* _______________________________ ***1/2 stars

* Note: This book will be reviewed again afer I read it next week.

Last edited by themilum; 09/17/07 05:05 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: themilum

I doesn't take prescience to review a book before you read it, it just takes practice.

You could start writing for The New York Times Book Review.

T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: Faldage

You could start writing for The New York Times Book Review.

Gee Faldage, you think so? Those fellows at the New York Times Book Review are pretty good. I bet most of 'em read their books before reviewing them.

Hmm...on the other hand most of 'em review books prissively by fashion rather than by brains so maybe...just maybe...

Last edited by themilum; 09/17/07 09:37 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, their reviews don't usually seem to be too much about the books, so maybe you shouldn't do it. But it couldn't hurt to try; the worst they can do is call you a red-necked booby.

T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Maybe I'll do it, Faldo. After all I've been called a red-necked boobie by better people than the New York Times.

Last edited by themilum; 09/17/07 05:05 PM.
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Originally Posted By: themilum
Those fellows at the New York Times Book Review are pretty good. I bet most of 'em read their books before reviewing them.

Hmm...on the other hand most of 'em review books prissively by fashion rather than by brains so maybe...just maybe...

The Rule of Four got a good review from the NYTBR. I am convinced they didn't really read it. Either that or they have no taste.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Alex Williams

The Rule of Four got a good review from the NYTBR. I am convinced they didn't really read it. Either that or they have no taste.

Did they actually talk about the book?

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
“A marvelous book with a dark Renaissance secret in its coded heart … Profoundly erudite … the ultimate puzzle book.” —The New York Times Book Review

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Comparisons to The Da Vinci Code are inevitable, but Caldwell and Thomason's book is the more cerebral-and better written-of the two: think Dan Brown by way of Donna Tartt and Umberto Eco." - Publishers Weekly

-joe (damning with faint praise?!) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You could always read the original Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (other scanned copies here and here) instead. Now, that's a thing of beauty. (Also a nice scanned copy (PDF) of the first English translation dedicated to Sir Phillip Syndey.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith