Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A run on sentence is not a grammatical fault and occurs in all languages as far as I know. Some writers are notorious for their long sentences. ( with or without comma )
Only this one above makes me doubtful of why it does not seem to run. That's all. And a native reader might see what I don't.
(I hope I understood you well..)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a long sentence is not always a run on sentence.

a sentence is sometimes defined as "a complete idea"

so "Run" can be a sentence.

but some idea's are more complex.. and require more words.

a run on sentence is 2 or more ideas.

so, in theory, "Run, skip, jump!" could be a run on.(most wouldn't think so, but...

edit to "Run, skip, jump, jog, do anything, but get your self moving!" and it expresses one idea (activity)

where as "Run, skip, jump, jog, do anything, but get your self moving, you'll be healthier and so will your heart." is a run on.

2 idea's-- (1 get moving, 2 health) (and the health aspect has 2 ideas, general good health and cardiac health!) that a lot to cram into mone sentence!)

The sentence BranShea cited is not a run-on. It's a lengthy sentence, and could be improved by reducing the clutter, but this would change the tone from a conversational feel to one that's more technical.

Run-on's are more than just sentences with more than one idea. A compound sentence is not a run-on if properly punctuated, though often the meaning is more apparent if broken into multiple sentences. A run-on is a compount sentence where the clauses are not separated by punctuation.

tempus edax rerum
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, of troy for explanation.
Is the sentence I came up with really a run on sentence? I understand that what it wants to say is that humans can put more energy ( 'cost' ) into body self repair than mice because they have a lesser frequency and number in baby care.(and consequently can have a longer life span) This seems to be a single idea.

All I would like to know (hate to nag on) is: does the sentence I brought up read normal to you? Was I blind or am I stupid?

Thanks Maven, for your in the meantime answer. My grammar days are long gone and not in English.

Last edited by BranShea; 05/31/07 05:21 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
By coincidence in my young life I was a technical writer in the field of electronics, as an untoward reaction to which in my 77th year I also tend to the run-on, consoling myself, however, with the idea that the longer sentence is often used to convey an idea, feeling, mood, atmosphere, or ambiance

dalehileman
S
stranger
stranger
S
Personally, I think the sentence makes more sense with the addition of one more word, "does", after mouse.

"And so I'd guess that where we cost more than a mouse does is in putting a bigger fraction of our energy into self-repair, and a smaller fraction into other purposes like keeping warm or caring for babies."

Then again, looking closer I think that "in putting" needs to be changed to "that we put" in order to be correctly grammatical.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith