Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then there's those of us who look it up and, by the time we run into the word again (six months later) we've forgotten what it means and have to look it up again. No, I say, let dead words die.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

Then there's those of us who look it up and, by the time we run into the word again (six months later) we've forgotten what it means and have to look it up again. No, I say, let dead words die.

Aw shoot, Faldage, "let dead words die", indeed. You are so...so... exitiousistic. And that means fatalistic, and don't you forget it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'At's OK, Milo. I think you're nice.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A big word is too big when the context doesn't hint at its meaning; when it confuses the reader; when it's used to show off.
That's my thought, since you asked.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Fal: Type-2 words (when properly used) should be used more often. When I encounter one I purposely overuse it in order to help remember

Zed: Depends on who you're talking to. If you drop a type-3 word in casual conversation, no matter how it pinpoints your meaning it will be considered snooty

dalehileman
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
dale, I think your use of the word 'snooty' is awfully snooty.

The Lone Haranguer
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
snoot: Honestly?

dalehileman
addict
addict
I absolutely agree that it's all a matter of context. It reminds me of when I was studying for an MA at a university in the UK. It was a very international programme, and during our first session the instructor pointed out that the Spanish, Italian and French students were expected to "tone down" our English when writing our essays and dissertation.

I was, and still feel, indignant when I think about it: Latinate words are perfectly good counterparts to Saxon words if they are used with precision, and especially in an academic setting one expects the educated reader to make the effort to understand and learn them. Long words used properly are just as appropriate as short ones, and no one can come and tell me at this stage -- after I've written more pages of academic English than I care to recount -- that I should "tone down" my writing. I am expressing myself in a foreign language as I best know how, and I know that it's appropriate language for the academic setting in which it will be received, even if some (not many, I think), occasionally find it a bit difficult.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Mari: If English isn't your naive tongue, you certainly handle it well

My contention is only that type 3 words should seldom be dropped into everyday conversation, while Type 2 are welcome anytime and should be cultivated

dalehileman
S
stranger
stranger
S
I must agree with those who have said, in effect, that usage depends on the audience. My profession is the law. If I'm writing a legal brief, I use words that judges and lawyers use and understand. But I alwo write essays, commentaries, op-ed pieces, etc. For those pieces the intended audience requires a different vocabulary.

I always try to remember that when writing (as opposed to having a conversation) I have only one chance to get my message across. The purpose of speaking is to be understood. The purpose of writing is to make it impossible to be MISunderstood.

Stuart Showalter
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,226 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith