Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#22481 03/12/01 05:49 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
"The public is not interested in Civil War stories."

-- so said one of the 25+ publishers to reject Margaret Mitchell's submission, Gone With the Wind.

For more examples of great moments in publishing, see

http://www.rejectionslips.com/wisdom.html

#22482 03/12/01 06:05 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Loved it, Sparteye!

"George Bernard Shaw
Rejected Writer

Eleven publishers turned down his first novel"

- but there's always one dumb bas..

#22483 03/12/01 06:14 PM
old hand
old hand
This one is kind of long in the tooth, as emails that make the rounds go, but if you haven't seen it yet, it's good for a laugh.

Dear Hiring Manager,

Thank you for your letter concerning my application for employment. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a position in your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals. Despite your company's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position in your department next week. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

#22484 03/12/01 09:35 PM
Thanks, Fiberbabe! That 'rejection letter' is just what I (might) need depending on how the job interviews go this week! With still no tourists coming to visit, I've been without gainful employment now for 5, almost 6 months!

By the way, from time to time, I pen a short story... lately they have taken the form of a child's adventure through Israel (my main characters are two boys, 12 & 11, best friends, one a sabra, or native-born Israeli, and the other, a new immigrant from New York), and if I ever get the energy to continue, I hope to eventually make it a series. But a few years ago, I wrote a little love story out of my own experience and decided to send it off for possible publication.

Well, I am proud? to say that I have now been rejected by four of the top women's magazines in the USA! Should I add that to my c.v.????

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#22485 03/12/01 10:12 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
and the other, a new immigrant from New York

Why use someone from New York? New York gets too much attention and everyone is using New York. You don't want to be like everyone else do you? I think you should use Cincinnati. Cincinnati could use some good publicity

#22486 03/12/01 11:01 PM
JazzO>You don't want to be like everyone else do you? I think you should use Cincinnati.

Well, JazzO - first of all, as you probably have guessed, I'm not like everyone else!

On your second point, I considered Cincinnati (among others) and rejected it as not an interesting place from which to be!

Sorry - better luck next time!

Shoshannah

#22487 03/13/01 11:31 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
North Carolina is, of course 1st on the list of interesting places, a hub of interest so to speak

#22488 03/13/01 11:47 AM
Actually, North Carolina is second on my list of most interesting places - Israel is first and foremost, in my mind, the most interesting place in the whole world - and I have been to many others in my life so I have quite a lot from which to choose! And having been to and lived in many different places, I often say to people who ask that, of course, Israel is my home and always shall be, but if I ever had to live somewhere else, I would certainly choose North Carolina. If you have never been there, why don't you try it - it certainly is, in YOUR words, a hub of interest including lots of interesting people and things to see and do!

Shoshannah

But, if you will take note - JazzO was commenting on my choice of New York as the origin of one of the characters in the short story I wrote... but maybe you didn't read all the postings in this thread?

#22489 03/13/01 12:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nice point Jazzo-- I mean, i love NY, and think its the best place in the world-- but its my home town! and I love traveling-- because other places are so interesting-- and not at all like NY-- in fact the places i dislike the most are the ones that keep trying to tell me, they are big cities--"just like NY!"

London is a big city-- and there are some similarites to NY-- but London is not like NY--Nor is NY like London-- the same with Tokyo-- these are great cities in there own right! Seattle is an other great city-- not at all like NY, doesn't try to be, and doesn't pretend to be--

I haven't been to Cincinnati, but i suspect it has wonderous thing that make it special....same too, for south caralina-- a place i have only passed through.

#22490 03/13/01 12:55 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
>But, if you will take note
I have pen and paper ready, what's Cincinnati like anyway?

BOT, this is a letter I read at the Flummery Digest which BTW has a lot of humourous, leftfield items from the news (hope it's not too long)

District of Columbia Public Schools
Office of the General Counsel
Labor Management and Employee Relations
November 16, 2000

Dear Ms. [name withheld]:

On June 23, 2000, you were informed by letter that you would not receive an offer of employment with the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) based on the results of your criminal background check. Based on your subsequent presentation of documentation that your 1984 charge for Uniformed Controlled Substance Act, Cannabis was no papered; that your 1984 charge for shoplifting was nolle prosequi; that your 1984 charge for assault with a dangerous weapon, razor was no papered; that your 1984 charge for destruction of government property was nolle prosequi; that your 1986 charge for assault with a deadly weapon was dismissed; that your 1987 charge for soliciting for prostitution was nolle prosequi; that your 1989 charge for assault with a dangerous weapon, razor was no papered; and that your 1992 Uniform Controlled Substance Act, possession with intent to distribute cocaine was dismissed. You are eligible for employment with DCPS.
If you have any questions or concerns, kindly contact Labor Management and Employee Relations at (202) 442-5373.

Sincerely,

Delores Hamilton
Acting Director of Human Resources

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 721 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith