MCSpain Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi, everyone,
Anu says, "Wouldn't it be nice if there were a word
for this?"
yesterday, while seeing one of my favourites tv-series, "Six Feet under" I was touched by this quote:
You know what I find interesting? If you lose a spouse, you're called a widow, or a widower. If you're a child and you lose your parents, then you're an orphan. But what's the word to describe a parent who loses a child? I guess that's just too f***ing awful to even have a name.
Is there a word in English to describe this situation?

L
stranger
stranger
L
I too am searching for a word and have searched for years and years. Can you help me?? Often I have a tune or song running through my head which soon begins to sound like a broken record. There ought to be a word to describe this condition. I think there is a French word for it, but I don't know what it is either.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
welcome, LeGrand! and MCSpain, if I haven't welcomed you, yet!

how about earworm?

formerly known as etaoin...
S
stranger
stranger
S
I suspect there isn't a word for a parent losing a child because it is a more common event than losing a spouse or both parents, and not a singular event. J. S. Bach had 20 children, only 9 survived past childhood. "Childless" could apply to someone who had lost all his/her children or to someone like me, who never had any.

Songs that stick in your mind: earworms or loopers. Some songs are deliberately composed to loop back, with a dominant chord at the end of the chorus that is only resolved by the first chord in the next verse, or repeat of the chorus. I'd mention some examples, but I wouldn't want to infect anyone.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from the archives:
the worthless word for the day is: endomusia

silent recall of a melody; endomusia often appears as
a type of obsessive thought (Psychiatric Dictionary,
4th ed., Hinsie and Campbell) -- for those of you with
a tune stuck in your head

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh sure, tsuwm, assume he meant the real word....

formerly known as etaoin...
B
stranger
stranger
B
I have often wondered if there's an English word for adult children. I could introduce my sons or my daughters, but if I want to introduce my 2 daughters and 2 sons, even though all are in their 20's, I seem to have no recourse other than to say, "These are my children..."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: I have often wondered if there's an English word for adult children. I could introduce my sons or my daughters, but if I want to introduce my 2 daughters and 2 sons, even though all are in their 20's, I seem to have no recourse other than to say:

These are the people in charge of finding me a nursing home one day.

(my daughter has already warned me that she will dump me in home faster than you can 'senile' or "broken hip" or....)

(

L
stranger
stranger
L
Many thanks for the info and your concern re infection. I only wish whistlers and hummers were as considerate.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I liked the elderly lady asked in hospital if she had any children. She smiled and said, "No but I have three senior citizens."

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith