Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#22024 03/12/01 11:19 PM
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Well, I guess the World Wildlife Fund was actually smart enough (Which isn't much of an award, because anyone's smarter than wrestling idiots) to take wwf.org, while the Wicked Wrestling Freaks got wwf.com

-Scott rough_collie@dog.com

#22025 03/13/01 06:08 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
To Bob Youngblatt Salve, Frater! >utor, fruor, fungior and vescor I laughed out loud when I read that. I had been tempted, ere this, to suggest to you that you and I might have this communal bond (among other interests) like a fraternity password, used (a la "shibboleth", Shoshanna) to separate the brethren from the gentiles. We did NOT have the same Latin teacher. ( I calculate I am three years older than you and from a different part of the country)Perhaps we had the same texts. I trouble the AWAD group w/ this mindless trivia in order to raise another trivial Q to you Latin scholars out there. Were you also required to remember that, " Utor, fruor, fungior,potior and vescor (and were the verbs in this same order?) take the ablative instead of the accusative?". It really seems a rather obscure rule, of not much practical use. I took six years of Latin, enjoyed it at the time and it has proved quite useful and enjoyable over the years. Vocabulary, grammar, syntax, and much more have atrophied with age, but I could not forget,by strongest stroke of the "Delete" key, that " utor, etc. etc." Could there have been a conspiracy among Latin teachers to impose this recondite wisdom on submissive students? Were we all required to memorize the same passages or were teachers permitted,ad libitum, to choose their own favorites. The De Bellico Gallica bit was obligatory, of course, but what about, "Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientiam nostram" down through, and a bit past, "O tempora! O mores!" Or "Arma virumque cano ... Troiae qui primus ab oris, etc" or "O fons Bandusiae, splendidior vitro" "Carthago delenda est! etc, etc(BTW, I gave the Spelschlocker, poor dear, the night off. Didn't want her to blow a thingummy with all these funny words). Shall we, band of brothers (sisters,too) go to our separate graves with these common bits of arcane knowledge without knowing that other friends out there somewhere have been given these self-same miraculous keys to human understanding and the secrets of the universe? Shall we compare notes? The test papers have already been graded; ergo, Honor Code does not apply. I sense the o'erwhelming smell of an era that is (alas, say I ) quite gone forever.
Please note that the foregoing "draft" quotes are from memory. Scribbler is too lazy and tired to check their accuracy on paper and not practiced enough to go the on-line route. Have fun correcting me. A final word. I daresay this proposal is not YART and therefore suggest a new acro-breviation that may be applicable : TABNGAD i.e. "THANKS ANYWAY, BUT NOBODY GIVES A DAMN."
Semper idem, ....... Scribbler

#22026 03/13/01 04:19 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Latin
Great God! Scribbler -- your Latin teacher, if still alive, will be coming for you to give you a dozen of the best, and if passed along to the great Bennet's in the sky, will surely haunt you for at least the next 7 years.

You misquoted Cicero. It's, "Quousque tandem, Catalina, patientia nostra abuteris?" patientia nostra is in the ablative, not the accusative as you wrote it. Why? Because abuteris is a compound of utor!!!

#22027 03/13/01 04:22 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
German propositions
The dative ones are aus, bei, mit, nach, seit, von, zu.

#22028 03/13/01 04:27 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
German genetive prepositions
anstatt, trotz, während, wegen, innerhalb, außerhalb

#22029 03/13/01 04:49 PM
addict
addict
Scribbler remembered: The De Bellico Gallica bit was obligatory, of course

Did you mean the beginning of De Bello Gallico, where it goes "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres"? I think it was one of the most interesting Latin texts I ever had to study...

#22030 03/13/01 09:25 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Scribbler, did you lose your Return/Enter key or do you always talk without taking a breath?

#22031 03/13/01 11:34 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Scribbler wrote (breathlessly):

I sense the o'erwhelming smell of an era that is (alas, say I ) quite gone forever.

I can say that this era continues in at least one place. I spent my high school years at Boston Latin School (oldest public school in the country - founded in 1635). It is a 6-year school, and Latin is required during the first 5 years. I'm in my thirties, but I know that this tradition, with the many examples of Latin teacher torture you cited, lives on.

#22032 03/14/01 06:29 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
JAZZO > did you lose, etc. As a Southerner, I TALK very slowly, taking breaths as needed. As a TYPIST, I also type slowly, just a bit faster than H&P.(Generally do OK w/ WORD. However, as an AWAD poster, I cannot make anything (in this format or whatever it's called) come out the way I intend for it to do. Sorry, I'll keep trying.

Marianna - > Did you mean? A. Yes It seems a very personal way, does it not, of bridging together 2000+ years.

BYB > Marcus Tullius & abutor - - Mea culpa, Magister I admire your scholarship even as you correct my errors. As I said earlier, BYB could "authoritatively and succinctly settle such" Latin matters. The lawyer in me, however, compels me to offer some words, not exculpatory words, but merely words in mitigation. (a) I am pleased that, at least, my memory was true. I remembered (after about 50 years) "patentia nostra" , wrote it that way and then -alas! - CHANGED it to accusative, thinking, in English, that it didn't "look right" "How long, O Catiline, will you abuse our patience?" and forgetting about COMPOUNDS of utor taking the ablative. Should we add "abutor" to the list of 5 or add "and their compounds" to it? (b) You should also note the time of the post was after 1AM (as this one is)and Scribbler stated he was tired and not bothering to check sources. (c) Not only that, but the dog ate my homework and (d) Dad had a wreck while driving me to school this morning. All things considered, Teach, could you see your way clear to raising the grade to an A-, It would mean a lot to me. Thanks, Scribbler

#22033 03/14/01 02:17 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
When reading Caesar, the teacher never bothered to point out that the reason Caesar was willing to spend so many years in Gaul after he had completed his original mission to prevent further destabilization, was that he was getting rich from his lion's share of the value of captives sold as slaves. He went there only moderately wealthy, but became one of the three richest men in Rome. The other two got their money the same way.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith