Carpal Tunnel
B

Bingley
Thumbs up!

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
How very cool! I love looking through other people's bookshelves -- it's one of the best ways to find new reading. Thanks. Bing.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
bump

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
bump?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bump (internet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Wiktionary has related dictionary definitions, such as:
BUMP, bumpTo bump a thread on an internet forum is to post a reply in order to raise the thread's profile by returning it to the top of the list of active threads. This is also called "necroposting", i.e. thread necromancy, or "gravedigging", as old threads are said to be dying or dead.

Typically, a thread may be bumped after it has received no replies in several days or when other, perhaps less significant, threads have knocked it off the front page.

Thread bumping, which in its most open form is simply a post consisting of the word "bump", is commonly considered a breach of netiquette and some moderated forums forbid it. Users may get around that by posting what is ostensibly a genuine reply. Sometimes this will mockingly contain the word "bump" in it, such as *Is wandering the forum when he bumps into this thread*. It may also take the form of a trivial question or response such as "Anyone?", rather than using the word "bump" which makes clear their intention.

In other instances, bumping is used to keep threads deemed important from falling off a front page. In this case, bumping would not be a breach of netiquette; to the contrary, it may be seen as a necessary if mundane task to be performed.

BUMP is sometimes used as a backronym for "Bring Up My Post/Postcount" or as a recursive acronym "Bump Up My Post".

A few forums create a thread specifically for bumping (which usually does not count for a user's postcount). The thread is usually used as a way for forum goers to post on nothing in particular, or just pass time talking to themselves, and allows the moderators to lessen the clutter of pointless threads.

My thought is that this is a friendly bump, since the site indeed is "kewl".

#159377 05/08/06 09:43 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
"Bump" in this case was being employed to bookmark a thread that contained useful or interesting information that I wanted to come back to later. I had nothing to actually say about it (yet), so I simply wrote "bump." I have no interest at all in keeping the thread alive or bringing it to the top otherwise.

(Bump, the poor man's bookmark.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This newest version of the board has a really kewl feature. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see in the left bottom corner "Favorite Topic (toggle)". Click on that and you will have a reminder on your homepage that you are interested in the thread. Or, just click on the finger with the string tied around it in the bottom line of the post, called "post extras".

Last edited by consuelo; 05/08/06 11:25 AM.
M
addict
addict
M
Quote:

"Bump" in this case was being employed to bookmark a thread that contained useful or interesting information that I wanted to come back to later. I had nothing to actually say about it (yet), so I simply wrote "bump." I have no interest at all in keeping the thread alive or bringing it to the top otherwise.

(Bump, the poor man's bookmark.)

This is tantamount to spraypainting your name on your favorite public park bench. You're changing the shared public world purely to suit your own purposes.

The only "bump" that irritates me more is when the OP bumps a thread by doing an "invisible" edit on the first post. The thread comes to the top, you look at the end and there's no new post at all.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was willing to give you the benefit, Alex, until your confession. that to me, is an inappropriate use of the bump.

but I still love you.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith