Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#154912 02/02/06 04:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
My lovely bride has deserted me, leaving town for a week and me without adult supervision. As is my custom, I made a pot of soup last night large enough to carry me through the weekend, at the rate of two bowls a day. This obviates the necessity of making any (further) decisions about what to eat.

In order to produce a lovely cauldron of vegetable-beef-barley soup, I bought a bag of barley at the local grocer's. I am accustomed to buying bags of barley labeled "pearl barley" but the one I bought last night bears the description "pearled barley." That got me to wondering, which is further evidence (as if any were needed) that I am a logophile. Why is it "pearl" on some bags and "pearled" on others?

I always thought that pearl barley was so-called because, when the hull (spikelet and bran) of the barley is removed (thus depriving the grain of much of its nutritional value -- iron, manganese, phosphorus, and thiamin) by milling, what is left is like a pearl (the oyster kind). Maybe.

But the process of removing the bran is called "pearling" which may be a back-construction. Maybe not.

Anyway, the soup is wonderfully good.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's like music to my ears. Oh. You said baRley. nemmind.

TEd
E
addict
addict
E
Ted, consider yourself raspberried.
Father Steve, I bet the pearl barley is the same kind of construction as "ice cream", which used to be "iced cream". You can see it happening with "ice tea" and "box set" (which I still call "iced tea"
and "boxed set", but you can't help some people....)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Ted, consider yourself raspberried.
Father Steve, I bet the pearl barley is the same kind of construction as "ice cream", which used to be "iced cream". You can see it happening with "ice tea" and "box set" (which I still call "iced tea"
and "boxed set", but you can't help some people....)

It's called assimilation. It's also responsible for solecisms such as "a friend."

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Would I be correct in supposing that this barley is similar to pearl tapioca? (See second body paragraph.) If so, then the name most likely has had - at some point - something to do with the process. Specifically, this tapioca (or barley) has undergone the pearling process, so it can now be referred to as pearled to use the participle, and also pearl from describing its new shape.

It's just a thought, and although it doesn't really sway the issue, it has made me quite hungry for some tapioca...and possibly some of your soup, Father!

M
addict
addict
M
I don't believe pearled barley is the same type of thing as pearl tapioca.
Pearled barley has been processed an extra step that removes the bran as well as the hull http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainBarley.html, but it still basically looks like a grain of barley.
Tapioca starts out as a big root. The fibrous part is separated from the starchy parts, then the starch is converted into flakes or powder which is then formed into the pearl-sized round balls.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Augh--I still want to call you golden---but welcome back, anyway!

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
So I may not be up on my roots, but I'm glad to be back. Thanks, Jackie!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I may not be up on my roots Sounds like you've been forced to bend to some pretty strong winds, young sapling. (My kids used to play a video game where the trees got up on their roots and walked.)

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Sounds like you've been forced to bend to some pretty strong winds, young sapling.

Thankfully, no. But always glad for a pearl of wisdom from y'all!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith