About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#154337 01/24/06 05:41 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've conflated bits of some reading I did recently into a scratch definition for coiste bodhar.

Can any Hibernian tell me if these details -- including the pronunciation (taken from two different articles on Irish pronunciation) -- are correct?

Thanks.

P.S.

A failure to reply to this post makes it my last and you a bunch of unimaginative namby-pambies (as I have already explained, Kim was a work of Kaufmanesque comedic art, created for your amusement).

Quote:

Coiste Bodhar noun

Pronunci.  CUSH-cheh BOU-uhr

also known as the coach-a-bower or death coach: a medieval superstition common in various parts of Ireland, England and Whales that to see a driverless coach at night was a sign of impending death. On its death errand the Coiste Bodhar—sometimes said to accompany the banshee—is drawn by six black horses, and before it all gates fly open, however securely they are locked. In some version the coach is driven by a headless coachman known as a dullahan, in others the horses themselves are headless. It is also said the Coiste Bodhar leaves a trail of burning hedges, and that a pail of blood is thrown in the face of anyone intrepid enough to open the coach door.

ORIGIN coach-a-bower from Irish coiste ‘coach’ and bodhar ‘deaf’ or ‘silent’ but also ‘to deafen’.

#154338 01/24/06 12:21 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Seeing as you are not going to post a reply, I would prefer it if you didn't read my threads. I notice that my read count is at 30, and this is not acceptable: I cannot not take my leave, satisfied that I am the true pariah of AWADtalk, until my read count remains at zero.

#154339 01/24/06 01:09 PM
veteran
veteran

" I would prefer it if you didn't read my threads."
My habit is not to look at the name of the poster before I read. Assuming the number of reads on your posts is an endorsement is illogical. Any dumbass can post on the net. Any dumbass can make a nuisance of himself. You're not clever. You're not cool. You're a garden variety dumbass.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

" I would prefer it if you didn't read my threads."
My habit is not to look at the name of the poster before I read. Assuming the number of reads on your posts is an endorsement is illogical. Any dumbass can post on the net. Any dumbass can make a nuisance of himself. You're not clever. You're not cool. You're a garden variety dumbass.

Firstly, it is not possible to postulate confidently what I am based on the data that is available to you.

Your taxonomic classification is therefore completely amateur.

And sorry to say this but secondly--schoolboy name calling aside--you appear to have a slight reading comprehension problem.

I stated that until my view count remained at zero I would not be satisfied that I was a complete pariah.

But contrary to your rash assumption (and just here, in my opinion, you have laid bare an embarrassing intellectual shortcoming) there are several semantic shades along a continuum of distance from the state of being "ostracised" before we arrive at "endorsed".

But you could hardly be expected to appreciate this, for reasons aforementioned.

P.S.

Dumb-ass has a hyphen.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
And just in passing, what makes you think the Internet using world wants to look at that apology for an avatar that I assume is your bag of spanners?

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 01/24/06 03:45 PM.
veteran
veteran
"Firstly, it is not possible to postulate confidently what I am based on the data that is available to you."

The "data" available to anyone who reads your blather makes it very clear that you are a pretentious, pseudointellectual twit. Your behavior on this forum renders your cry of "schoolboy name calling" somewhat comical. Among those who have been around for a while, correcting another person's spelling is considered particularly infantile. This should be embarrassing to you as "name-calling" is hyphenated. Obviously the irony will be lost on you.

"I stated that until my view count remained at zero I would not be satisfied that I was a complete pariah."

If this were a bar, the proprietor would be grabbing you by the scruff of your neck and the seat of your pants and tossing your scraggly carcass out into the street while all the patrons cheer and shout.
And that would still not be sufficient to convince you that you are a pariah.

"Dumb-ass has a hyphen."

Only when I put one there, dumbass.

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 01/24/06 07:02 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
It is natural to call a typo when it is in a sentence that is slandering you.

No one will disagree with me on this.

But you have been around here a long time?

I haven't noticed you.

So I'll engage you're as forgettable a personality as you appear in this pathetic little tiff of ours. Not to mention your [cough]boring[cough] web page. After glancing over that, anything you had said about pseudo-intellection became the profoundest hypocrisy.

The problem with your riposte, in short, is it is vitiated by the conspicuous absence of a reply to my principal charge: That you are slow-witted and quick-tempered. A trait with devestating results, as is established in my earlier post.

Please defend yourself on this point.

No. You cannot.

And so you fall back on the silly name calling.

You're as big a baby as your tubby mug appears in that cheap fisherman's hat; and as is suggested by your petulant and entirely unamusing signature.

And whatever comes of this, of one thing I am certain: Funny, you are not.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 01/25/06 11:59 AM.
#154344 01/25/06 11:49 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

If this were a bar, the proprietor would be grabbing you by the scruff of your neck and the seat of your pants and tossing your scraggly carcass out into the street while all the patrons cheer and shout.

Not only is this a vulgar argumentum ad baculum, it is set in a bar, and is badly written: my suspicions about you are confirmed.

#154345 01/25/06 12:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Click on Homo Loquens' name immediately above his picture to the left of any one of his infantile dribblings.

At the next screen find where it says:

Ignore this user.

Click on it once. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by TEd Remington; 01/25/06 12:20 PM.

TEd
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Quote:

Click on Homo Loquens' name immediately above his picture to the left of any one of his infantile dribblings.

At the next screen find where it says:

Ignore this user.

Click on it once. You'll be glad you did.

If H-L does this, too, then *no* one will know what she's talking about, not even it. Oh...wait a minute...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith