Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind palustris - 08/27/04 04:04 PM
Loanword from Latin. There is a very nice species of oak, the pin oak, that carries this name as its species: palustris. I FINALLY found a terrific Latin botanical translator online--for trees, at least--and just decoded Quercus palustris (Oak 'of the swamp').

Question:

'Palustris' is such a lovely-sounding word. Can anyone here break down how it comes about meaning 'swamp'? Thanks for responding. Also, are there any other common 'swamp' words that we would recognize as having sprung from 'palustris'?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: palustris - 08/27/04 04:25 PM
I FINALLY found a terrific Latin botanical translator online

well? are you going to share?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: palustris - 08/27/04 05:14 PM
http://www.treeguide.com/index.asp

A commericial site. However, just enter the genus and species of something to research or the common name; the search engine will take you to a page where you can garner lots of information, including a breakdown of genus and species for trees.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: palustris - 08/27/04 05:22 PM
that's a great site, WW. wish there were pictures, but what a lot of info. I also can't get the search thing to work, but I think that's my browser acting up...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: palustris - 08/27/04 05:27 PM
There are pictures, et'. For instance, when I looked up Quercus palustris, two photographs came up: one of its bark and the other of many views of acorns. But I wish there were more pictures of leaves, acorns, stem tips, etc. There is a hodgepodge of photographs, but not an extensive collection for each species. However, just knowing I can look up the Latin botanical names for trees and find quick definitions is a step in the right direction.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: palustris - 08/27/04 05:40 PM
ah! thanks. I guess I needed to drill down one more layer.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: palustris - 08/27/04 06:20 PM
drill down one more layer

Are you saying you're a yellow-bellied sapsucker, eta? [duck]

Posted By: jheem Re: palustris - 08/27/04 06:23 PM
Latin paluster 'swampy, marshy' < palus (paludis) 'swamp, fen, marsh'. Cf. OHG fel(a)wa, NHG Felber 'willow tree', lit. 'swamp-tree'; from PIE root *pel- 'to pour, flow, fill' whence English full, Latin plenus, Skt purna (as in Annapurna 'full of food (edibles)', also Latin plebs 'people, the masses'.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: palustris - 08/27/04 06:31 PM
Is 'Anna' an edible?

Thanks, jheem, very much for your provision here. It is amply full.

Posted By: jheem Re: palustris - 08/27/04 09:25 PM
Yes, Skt anna < √ ad 'eat' + -na suffix. But Anna, the female name, comes from Hebrew Hannah which, besides being a palindrome, means 'grace'; cf. Phonecian beneral Hannibal 'grace of the lord (i.e., ba'al).

© Wordsmith.org