Wordsmith.org
Posted By: R. Eastcourt OFFESKEITEN - 11/20/07 05:04 PM
My dear, dead, neighbor used this word(adjective) to describe an ultra-conservative, boorish, gluttonous, self-centered, lazy, neighbor, of certain European descent.
Is this a real word or did Jack just spit out pidgion German sounds?

Phonetically it sounded: off'-ish-kiten......(add a country here)
Posted By: BranShea Re: OFFESKEITEN - 11/20/07 08:29 PM
You doubled the original post, maybe you did not notice.
Aufschiessen, opschieten, means :" move on or hurry up". Could be sort of German or Dutch you heard. It's usually written in small fonts or characters.
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: OFFESKEITEN - 11/23/07 05:35 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
You doubled the original post, maybe you did not notice.
Aufschiessen, opschieten, means :" move on or hurry up". Could be sort of German or Dutch you heard. It's usually written in small fonts or characters.

Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure it was an adjective, probably Dutch.
Posted By: Scriveyn Re: OFFESKEITEN - 12/03/07 11:59 AM
Sounds more Dutch than German to me. BranShea's post gave me the idea that it might mean "upstart". Just a guess though.
Posted By: BranShea Re: OFFESKEITEN - 12/03/07 12:23 PM
The word is too far off any real Dutch or German word to make anything out of it, Scriveyn. It comes closest to 'opschieten '
which means, as said to move on or to hurry up.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: OFFESKEITEN - 03/15/08 01:39 AM
I always thought "scheisse" was a "bad" word in German; one of those scatological ones... The online translator came up with "up-sh*t" for "aufscheissen". Not sure what that means, but it looks "bad" to me! If this was an insult, that would make sense...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: OFFESKEITEN - 03/15/08 02:22 PM
a "bad" word

German schießen 'to shoot', aufschießen 'to coil up (a rope)', and scheißen 'to shit'.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: OFFESKEITEN - 03/15/08 04:05 PM
i.e., what a difference an 'ei' makes.

-ron o.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: OFFESKEITEN - 03/15/08 06:23 PM
Okay, German isn't my strong suit, so please set me straight! Isn't "schiessen" pronounced (give a break here; more or less:) "shee-sen", and "scheissen" as "shy-sen"? That's a big difference, and from R. Eastcourt's phonetic description "-kiten" as opposed to "-keeten", it "sounds" like a long i to me. That would necessitate a "ei" combination, as in "scheissen". Okay, have at me!!! ;0)
Posted By: Faldage Re: OFFESKEITEN - 03/15/08 09:51 PM
Offeskeiten isn't German. It might could be some Germanic language; not sure I'd bet on it considering who it came from but I don't think we can draw any conclusions about what the vowel sequence would be in any German cognate even if it is a legitimate word in some Germanic language
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: no way - 03/15/08 11:16 PM
Offeskeiten isn't German.

What he said. I can't figure out what the putative word could be in German or any of the other usual suspects. the ending -keiten looks German, but yours is as good as anybody's what the offes represents. The -keiten to me looks like the standard German -keit, which forms abstract nouns out of adjectives, e.g., Niedrigkeit 'baseness' < niedrig 'base, lowly'. It's kind of like our -hood (cf. German -heit as in Gesundheit 'health') or -ness. Now it's possible, through strange transcription methods to posit a verb skeiten, which seems more Dutch than German, but that leaves the impossible offes (sounding to mine inner ear a lot like English office). The only place on the Web with offeskeiten is this thread (link). The single example of Offeskeit is a typical Google Books, old words in strange language confuses my OCR.

I also thought for a second it could be Äffischkeit 'apishness', but I got over that. Maybe a nonce word, Auskeit 'outness'. No. Häufigkeit 'frequency, commonness'?
Posted By: The Pook Re: OFFESKEITEN - 03/16/08 04:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: R. Eastcourt
My dear, dead, neighbor used this word(adjective) to describe an ultra-conservative, boorish, gluttonous, self-centered, lazy, neighbor, of certain European descent.
Is this a real word or did Jack just spit out pidgion German sounds?

Phonetically it sounded: off'-ish-kiten......(add a country here)

Perhaps it was Yiddish?
© Wordsmith.org