Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Katja german practice - 10/31/06 11:44 AM
I'm searching for people who would like to improve their german!I'm studying it, but I have no practice.Maybe someone else,who is studying it, or just know this language would like to help me??
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: german practice - 10/31/06 12:12 PM
welcome, Katja! there are a couple of native Deutsch speakers on the board (I'm not one of them!), so perhaps one of them will find this and reply.

Posted By: Katja Re: german practice - 10/31/06 01:38 PM
Yes, I hope so much!:)
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: german practice - 10/31/06 04:53 PM
Grüße Katja,

A good place for meeting other German learners is "german.about.com". They have plenty of resources and very helpful moderators and forum users who will answer any language questions you have. There is also a wide selection of online games and fun topic discussions.
They have an extensive list of German loan words in English: loan words

BTW, Mark Twain wrote a great essay entitled 'The Awful German Language'. If you don't know it I'm sure you'll enjoy it:
German speech

The Awful German Language
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: german practice - 10/31/06 04:56 PM
Also of interest to you:

Liste russischer Wörter im Deutschen

Viel Spaß
Posted By: Katja Re: german practice - 11/01/06 05:47 AM
Danke shon!Das ist sehr interresant fur mich!
Posted By: Aramis Re: German Practice - 12/28/06 08:11 PM
Guten Abend, Katja.

Kein Deutchlander aber Ich kan ein Biesten sprechen. Klar Sie kanst besser am mir.
Posted By: Vivek Re: german practice - 01/26/07 06:38 PM
Hallo Katja!

Es ist mir zu Ohren gekommen ,daß Sie Deutsch üben möchten..besser gesagt wollen . Ich würde gern Ihnen helfen .. aber wie ???

Grüß aus Indien

indianYogi
Posted By: bakitY Re: german practice - 01/27/07 06:24 PM
wow...thats really cool...but dont understand...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: german practice - 01/27/07 06:37 PM
wow...thats really cool...but dont understand

Here's a translation:

Hallo Katja!

Hello, Cathy!

Es ist mir zu Ohren gekommen ,daß Sie Deutsch üben möchten..besser gesagt wollen . Ich würde gern Ihnen helfen .. aber wie ???

I've heard that you'd like to practise German ... I'd like to help you ... but how?

Grüß aus Indien

Greetings from India.

indianYogi
Posted By: Zed Re: german practice - 01/31/07 12:20 AM
and Guten abend to both Vivek and BakitY. (Did I spell that right? If I go back to look it up I'll have to redo the message and forget the spelling for the third time.)
Posted By: Vivek Re: german practice - 05/02/07 04:24 AM
Is there any *Wordsmith* like service for German words ??
Posted By: Faldage Re: german practice - 05/02/07 10:27 AM
Weisbier, gibt es etwas sowie?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: german practice - 05/03/07 12:41 AM
Is there any *Wordsmith* like service for German words ??

Not sure what a *Wordsmith* like service is, but for fans of the German language there are:

- the forums at LEO German-English-German dictionary

- the dictionary and grammar at Canoo dot net

- the many polyglot forums (including German) at WordReference dot com
Posted By: WayneS Re: german practice - 05/13/07 03:59 PM
Nein, Wordsmith gibt's in Deutsch nicht. Es gibt aber viele Rechtschreibung websites auf's Internet. Da man einfach 'rechtschreibung' in die Google suche einschreiben müssen.
Posted By: km7Paul Re: german practice - 05/21/07 08:19 PM
English language is largely derived from Latin and the "romance" languages. What is the main basis for the German language?
Thanks .
Paul
Posted By: Faldage Re: german practice - 05/22/07 10:55 AM
English has a lot of words that came from Latin and French. The language itself is historically and grammatically Germanic. Proto-Germanic was a branch of the Proto-Indo-European language that produced Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Icelandic from its northern branch and German, Dutch, Yiddish, and English from its western branch. There was an eastern branch, but it is extinct.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: german practice - 05/22/07 02:47 PM
German, Dutch, Yiddish, and English

Yiddish and English have similarities. They're both Germanic languages, but with a huge overlay of borrowed vocabulary: French, Greek, and Latin in English and Aramaic, Hebrew, and Slavic in Yiddish.
Posted By: subhocverbo Re: german practice - 06/27/08 04:02 AM
I also am currently learning German. I thought to offer this short noobie first posting to you and the assembled august body... It could represent a peripheral means of laterally augmenting German études. Viz., these (in my view) are wonderful German language art films with English subtitles, a boxed set. But you could easily get them piecemeal. If you were in Albany, New York, we could get a tub of pop-corn and a case of absinthe and I'd gladly 'Spring' for the DVDs, since I love these films.

I have never seen better filmmaking. This link will show the complete listing of: Werner Herzog directing Klaus Kinski. Hope this helps, Fräulein.
Posted By: The Pook Re: german practice - 06/27/08 11:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
wow...thats really cool...but dont understand

Here's a translation:

Is there any language you don't understand?? \:o

Just out of interest, how many do you speak (or understand/read, etc)?
Posted By: GermanOverIP Re: german practice - 12/01/08 02:04 PM
Hallo wie geht es euch?

Ich hoffe ich kann etwas helfen. Wenn ihr Fragen habt, dann schreibt mir einfach.

Liebe Grüsse
Daniel
Posted By: PastorVon Re: german practice - 01/01/09 04:10 PM
I'm already involved in too many discussion Lists; but this might be a thread in which I could become interested. I know that the question about the number of languages known was directed at another person. However, through the years -- and there are a few of them, I have been exposed to and have shown in the past a certain facility for German, Spanish, Japanese, Greek (Koine') and Hebrew (Old Testament) in addition to the native American English.
I grew up in the household of my paternal grandmother who was German-speaking. Her father was from Bern and her mother was from Hamburg. Each immigrated to the USA in the 1850s as children & met in catechism class at St. John's Lutheran Church in Chester, Illinois. My screen name is taken in part from my grandmother's patronym, Von Gruenigen. She spoke both High and Low German. I have her Luther's Small Catechism and her Hymnal which she received when she was in Confirmation classes in the 1890s.
I have lost most of my spoken German; but can still read bits and pieces of it.
Today is New Years Day. I miss having the Herring Salad, wursts, and Stollen that my grandmother would prepare for this time of year.

Vaughn (Anglicized Von) Hathaway
Posted By: Faldage Re: german practice - 01/01/09 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorVon

I grew up in the household of my paternal grandmother who was German-speaking. Her father was from Bern and her mother was from Hamburg.

That must have been an interesting mixture of Schweizer Deutsch and a heavily Platt influenced Deutsch. Be kind of like having a father from upper-class London and a mother from Dublin.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: german practice - 01/01/09 09:50 PM

Please don't consider this one thread too many. You have quite
a background and the things you say about yourself can make
you very valuable. Pleae stay with us and when you find yourself
so inclined to contribute, please do so. I, for one, am very
interested to see what you say. Often times we are left with
nothing here, and the thread dies. Sometimes just someone pointing us another direction and off we go. You can be that
person. Thanks for staying! Happy New Year.
Posted By: PastorVon Re: german practice - 01/02/09 07:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage

I grew up in the household of my paternal grandmother who was German-speaking. Her father was from Bern and her mother was from Hamburg.

That must have been an interesting mixture of Schweizer Deutsch and a heavily Platt influenced Deutsch. Be kind of like having a father from upper-class London and a mother from Dublin.

Over here, I suppose that it might be like a father from "Down East" and a mother from south Alabama. But, yes, I remember hearing "wie geht es einen" and "vo gehen sie," meaning essentially the same thing.

Vaughn Hathaway
Posted By: The Pook Re: german practice - 01/02/09 09:13 AM
Welcome to the neighbourhood PastorVon.

Like you I have been a Hebrew and Koine scholar, though my Hebrew is rather bad nowadays. I also know Spanish. The Pookwife speaks fluent German (Hoch Deutsch mainly), having lived there and visited friends there many times also. I understand a little German but not much.

I love rollmop salad (Dutch but much the same I guess). The Pookwife has made stollen in the past. I also love Germknoedl (don't know how to spell it but it's delicious). Can't say I like Saurkraut though. It's pretty disgusting.
Posted By: PastorVon Re: german practice - 01/02/09 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Welcome to the neighbourhood PastorVon.

Like you I have been a Hebrew and Koine scholar, though my Hebrew is rather bad nowadays. I also know Spanish. The Pookwife speaks fluent German (Hoch Deutsch mainly), having lived there and visited friends there many times also. I understand a little German but not much.

I love rollmop salad (Dutch but much the same I guess). The Pookwife has made stollen in the past. I also love Germknoedl (don't know how to spell it but it's delicious). Can't say I like Saurkraut though. It's pretty disgusting.

Why Hebrew & Greek? A domine, perhaps?

Don't the Dutch have a dish that is essentially saurkraut served on top of mashed potatoes?

I can recall sneaking down to the basement where my grandmother "brewed" her saurkraut in a 20 gallon crock, lifting the cover of cheesecloth, and sampling the raw kraut. Aaaah! Delish!

Vaughn Hathaway
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: german practice - 01/02/09 10:42 PM

Where's Bran when we need him.????
Posted By: Faldage Re: german practice - 01/03/09 12:26 AM
I remember hearing "wie geht es einen" and "vo gehen sie," meaning essentially the same thing.

I've never heard "wie geht es einen." I've heard "wie geht es Ihnen," which means "How is it going?" polite style, often shortened in more infromal contexts to "wie geht's?" "Wo gehen Sie?" is the polite version of "where are you going?" Both are pretty much standard Hochdeutsch.
Posted By: PastorVon Re: german practice - 01/03/09 12:45 AM

I've never heard "wie geht es einen." I've heard "wie geht es Ihnen," which means "How is it going?" polite style, often shortened in more infromal contexts to "wie geht's?" [/quote]

My error. The transliteration was just mis-spelled. Might be called a scribal error of the ear.

My grandmother died 32 years ago and I've had no regular German communication since then.

Vaughn Hathaway
Posted By: The Pook Re: german practice - 01/03/09 01:56 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

I think you mean 'her'?
Posted By: The Pook Re: german practice - 01/03/09 02:11 AM

Domine? I'm not a Latin scholar, so had to look that up.

Assuming you're not calling me a member of the Italian heavy metal band; a lord; or a West Indian fish of the family Trichiuridae; I can only surmise that you mean a clergyman. Like you I am a pastor, yes. grin

Don't the Dutch have a dish that is essentially saurkraut served on top of mashed potatoes?

I wouldn't know. I'm not Dutch. I just like rollmop salad. That's about the only highlight of Dutch cuisine as far as I'm concerned! Apart perhaps from a few confectionaries.

A few years ago when I was semi-employed for a while I did some part time mindless work in a food importing warehouse. Amongst other things they imported containers full of plastic packs of saurkraut from Holland and Germany. Sometimes the packs had burst in transit and gone (even more) rotten. We had to wash it off the packs that hadn't burst. That stuff is bad enough before it goes off, but that experience put me off it for life!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: german practice - 01/03/09 03:14 PM

I believe it's called stamppot zuurkool (link). There are other kinds of stamppots, but the general idea is mashed potatoes (Aardappelpuree) mixed with a vegetable, e.g., endive, kale, carrot, onion. And there can also be some kind of sausage added, e.g., rookworst, which despite its name is not smoked. Bran?
Posted By: Faldage Re: german practice - 01/03/09 06:37 PM

I've never heard "wie geht es einen." I've heard "wie geht es Ihnen," which means "How is it going?" polite style, often shortened in more infromal contexts to "wie geht's?"

My error. The transliteration was just mis-spelled. Might be called a scribal error of the ear.

My grandmother died 32 years ago and I've had no regular German communication since then.

Vaughn Hathaway

I ran into a native German speaking friend today and asked her about the "Wie geht es einen" and she said that "Wie geht es ein(e/er)" is common in northern Germany, the former for a woman and the latter for a man.
Posted By: BranShea Re: german practice - 01/03/09 07:20 PM

I think you mean 'her'?
Bran was out skating all day together with half the population of Holland.
Just look and hopefully see them all:
(Nothing more spiritlifting than the sound of skates on ice and all those pleased and happy people and a good '"zuurkool stamppot" to come home to.)

no rollmops

Hope I was in time to prevent the "siebentägiger Sauerkrautkrieg"
Yes, zuurkool mèt rookworst is the classical Dutch, Sauerkraut mit Eisbein is the German and Choucrôute à l'Alsacienne is the French variety. Seperate or mashed with pototoes. A real winter treat. ( The Pook, no spilled and spoiled food is attractive ever.)

Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: german practice - 01/04/09 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted By: BranShea

I think you mean 'her'?
Bran was out skating all day together with half the population of Holland.
Just look and hopefully see them all:
(Nothing more spiritlifting than the sound of skates on ice and all those pleased and happy people and a good '"zuurkool stamppot" to come home to.)

no rollmops

Hope I was in time to prevent the "siebentägiger Sauerkrautkrieg"
Yes, zuurkool mèt rookworst is the classical Dutch, Sauerkraut mit Eisbein is the German and Choucrôute à l'Alsacienne is the French variety. Seperate or mashed with pototoes. A real winter treat. ( The Pook, no spilled and spoiled food is attractive ever.)

I stand corrected. I already explained to Bran my mistake and apologized.
I have a cousin named Bran and He is a He. I don't have any other explanation
for my faux pas. Pardonnez-moi. And thanks for the update, please do so anytime.
Posted By: BranShea Re: german practice - 01/05/09 07:19 PM
Never mind Luke. I have a cousin and he was a she.
Posted By: The Pook Re: german practice - 01/05/09 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Beautiful photos. Some remind me of impressionist paintings. Does everybody in Holland skate? Seems like the whole population is there.
Posted By: BranShea Re: german practice - 01/07/09 06:22 AM
Ice Cold Passion --- link (click trailer)

It's one of the nicer insanities.
It's the thing that makes employees take days off without permission and schools give days off with permission.
Posted By: The Pook Re: german practice - 01/08/09 07:25 AM
Sounds worse than cricket!
Posted By: BranShea Re: german practice - 01/08/09 09:58 AM
Hmm, I love cricket too > &(*|*)&
Posted By: PastorVon Re: german practice - 01/11/09 06:00 AM

Domine? I'm not a Latin scholar, so had to look that up.

Assuming you're not calling me a member of the Italian heavy metal band; a lord; or a West Indian fish of the family Trichiuridae; I can only surmise that you mean a clergyman. Like you I am a pastor, yes. grin

I wouldn't know. I'm not Dutch. I just like rollmop salad. That's about the only highlight of Dutch cuisine as far as I'm concerned! Apart perhaps from a few confectionaries.

A few years ago when I was semi-employed for a while I did some part time mindless work in a food importing warehouse. Amongst other things they imported containers full of plastic packs of saurkraut from Holland and Germany. Sometimes the packs had burst in transit and gone (even more) rotten. We had to wash it off the packs that hadn't burst. That stuff is bad enough before it goes off, but that experience put me off it for life!

Domine' is a title used by many of Dutch extraction in speaking to or about their pastors. I used it in order to be sufficiently obscure to other participants of this thread. Since you answered in the affirmative, let me ask you if you have heard of my good friend, the Reverend Dr. Francis Nigel Lee, who is a resident of the island north of you.

Your anecdote concerning saurkraut brings to mind a not dissimilar experience of mine. About fifty years ago when I was a freshman or a sophomore at Southern Illinois University, I had a part-time job as a stocking clerk at a Kroger's grocery store. The produce department had received a shipment of Irish potatoes in 100 pound bags completely filling a 50 foot truck trailer. The trailer, which had a roof that was not water-tight, had been hauled all the way across the northern plains of the USA during a very rainy week. When the truck arrived, and the stock crew began unloading the potatoes, it was soon discovered that many of the bags contained a slurry of very rotten potatoes. It became our task to open each bag, to salvage the potatoes that were not rotted, and re-bag them for sale. I think the odor was still coming out of our pores a week later. There were no other residual effects, however. I still eat potatoes as I did just a few hours ago at my youngest daughter's table.
Posted By: PastorVon Re: german practice - 01/11/09 06:08 AM

I've never heard "wie geht es einen." I've heard "wie geht es Ihnen," which means "How is it going?" polite style, often shortened in more infromal contexts to "wie geht's?"

Vaughn Hathaway

I ran into a native German speaking friend today and asked her about the "Wie geht es einen" and she said that "Wie geht es ein(e/er)" is common in northern Germany, the former for a woman and the latter for a man.

Well, since my German-speaking grandmother's mother (yes, my great grandmother) was originally from Hamburg as was the already immigrated family that adopted her after her arrival in the USA, perhaps, my misspelling was not that after all. It was only my phonetic spelling as my ear remembered hearing it when I was a boy.
Posted By: Faldage Re: german practice - 01/11/09 04:41 PM
... perhaps, my misspelling was not that after all. It was only my phonetic spelling as my ear remembered hearing it when I was a boy.

And who among us has not suffered from that affliction? Looks like we both learned something.
© Wordsmith.org