Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 03:12 AM
Did anybody else notice that one of our own made it to fame and glory?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 11:22 AM
way to go, Dr. Bill!!

Posted By: amnow Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 03:58 PM
Is there any way for the 'others' of us, who don't know what you're talking about, to get informed? >^--^< amnow

Posted By: of troy Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 04:14 PM
Dr Bill is an affectionate name for William W. Hunt--who used to post here at the AWAD BB as WWH--

he is an nonogenarian, and his failing eyesite makes it difficult for him to read all the daily posts here.

but he sent a comment to Anu, and Anu included it in the last newsletter.

many of us miss Dr bill. he was often curmugedly, and sometimes sexist--but he was also extremely well read and knowledgeable. and he is missed.

Posted By: amnow Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 04:18 PM
May I clarify? I do 'know' Dr Bill, but my question refers to the newsletter. What is that, and how can I see Dr Bill's publicity in it? Thanks. >^--^<

Posted By: tsuwm Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 04:19 PM
>getting informed

this seems as though it is a multipart question, but.

as to AWADmail Issue 171, this appears on the surface to be something only accessible to those who subscribe to the AWAD service. you may, however, read it offline (as it were) by linking here:
http://wordsmith.org/awad/awadmail.html

as to *who is being talked about, you have to know that erstwhile stalwart wwh, aka Dr. Bill, is the William Hunt identified in Issue 171.

edit: I see my answer has been somewhat OBE, but at least I seem to have covered enough bases. :)
Posted By: amnow Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 04:37 PM
tsuwm, Thank you for the link and the info. Dr Bill is quite special, isn't he? >^--^<

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 07/31/05 10:06 PM
See, Dr. Bill?...you're an AWAD legend!

Posted By: Father Steve OBE - 07/31/05 11:25 PM
Out of body experience
Order of the British Empire
Oracle by Example
Open business exchange
Outcome Based Education
Over the Bridge Exiles

Posted By: tsuwm Re: OBE - 07/31/05 11:30 PM
oughta be excruciated

Posted By: wofahulicodoc and not "-wan Kenobi," either - 08/01/05 12:42 AM
Overtaken By Events

Posted By: Father Steve Eureka - 08/01/05 01:05 AM
Now I get it. When I do it, it is mantling. When tsuwm does it, it is being overtaken by events.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Eureka - 08/01/05 01:16 AM
nah, OBE is when three people post all at once.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Eureka - 08/01/05 01:19 AM
OBE is when three people post all at once.

Okay, but if one of them is just a tiny bit slower than the other two, is it, as to the laggard, a mini-mantle?

Posted By: Jackie Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 08/01/05 01:21 AM
Good heavens, my sincerest apologies: I didn't know that there were any of us here who don't get the newsletter.
And I will also add that Dr. Bill is not the first of us to attain fame there: hi mav!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Eureka - 08/01/05 03:09 AM
>a tiny bit slower.. a mini-mantle.

stepping up my self-obnubilation, I had a tiny bit more to say; but I'll leave you to be my judge, Father.
-joe bfstplk

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Eureka - 08/01/05 04:13 AM
I'll leave you to be my judge

I'll pass on the judging opportunity. I'm trying to follow a strict policy of only passing judgment when I get paid to do so.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Mantle - 08/01/05 10:17 AM
It's not a mantle if the second poster has had no chance to have read the first post. In that case the first poster is said to have pipped the second.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Mantle - 08/01/05 12:00 PM
Mantle? Pip? This Board is responsible for at least as many new words as is J.K. Rowling (cross-thread emoticon).

Posted By: Jackie Re: Mini Mantle - 08/01/05 12:24 PM
Is that Mickey's son?

Posted By: maverick Re: Mantlepeace & pipsqueek - 08/01/05 03:17 PM
> This Board is responsible...

I think wordorigins might have something to say about that...

and we're seldom accused of being responsible hereabouts!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Pipped - 08/01/05 04:27 PM
One fine baseball afternoon on June 15th, 1923, the New York Yankees' first baseman, Wally Pipp, was injured and one Lou Gehrig substitued for him...and then never missed the line-up for another 2,130 games thus earning the nickname "The Iron Horse." A record that stood, BTW, till Cal Ripken, Jr. broke it just few years back. So you could say that Wally was "pipped."

That the etymology, there, Faldo?

Posted By: musick Mini Mantle - 08/01/05 04:47 PM
Is that Mickey's son?

I though that was his girlfriend?!?!
http://stp.ling.uu.se/~starback/dcml/chars/minnie.html

...or a smaller, clonned version...

http://www.austinpowers.com/minime

Posted By: Jackie Re: Mini Mantle - 08/01/05 05:08 PM
Good heavens, that little bald dude is Mini Me? I've heard the term, and seen his picture, but never put the two together (NO I have NOT seen the movie!). Interesting that his window was mini, also.
And no, I wasn't referring to Minnie Mouse, dang it!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 08/01/05 07:57 PM
Dr. Bill is not the first of us to attain fame there: hi mav!

And I too have had the pleasure of submitting a comment that was deemed worthy of being passed along, I-don't-remember-how-long-ago...and it turned out to be the beginning of all the spam I have ever received.

It wasn't long after that that contributors began to be identified as "readerATdomainname" instead of "reader@domainname" so I may not have been the only one with that experience.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pipped - 08/01/05 10:25 PM

That the etymology, there, Faldo?

Aside from the fact that the Wally Pipp-Lou Gehrig story is pure bunk (http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/pipp.asp) the OED has a citation for pip in this sense from 1891. Wally Pipp was aproximately minus two years old in 1891. http://wally-pipp.biography.ms/

Posted By: Jackie Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 08/02/05 12:59 AM
Oh, wofa, I am SO sorry! Sorry that I didn't credit you, and even sorrier that I never read what you had to say. That had to have been one I skipped...

Posted By: maverick Re: AWADmail Issue 171 - 08/02/05 01:33 PM
> identified as "readerATdomainname"

right, wofa - I had queried this with Anu years back when I got my first circular, probably one of many, and I have no doubt that was part of his learning curve in this medium!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Pipped - 08/02/05 08:56 PM
pure bunk

Hold on there, Faldo...Gehrig was substituted for Pipp whether it be for a headache, fractured skull, or just replaced because he was slumping. So pure bunk is pretty hyberbolic there, ol' buddy.

© Wordsmith.org