Wordsmith.org
Posted By: boronia non-word question for the Kentuckians - 10/31/04 01:49 PM
I may be spending a few days in Lexington in the next month or so, and wonder if anyone has tips about fun/interesting things to do there, or about cheap accommodations. Too bad I missed the ideaFestival. Maybe I could even get myself to Louisville for a day. Thankin' y'all in advance! (Feel free to reply via PM.)

The Oakroom in the Seelbach Hilton in Louisville is THE place to eat. It ain't cheap, but good things in life are often that way.

PS: This is NOT a commercial announcement.

Posted By: themilum Re: non-word question for the Kentuckians - 11/01/04 05:21 AM
Cheap accommodations? If the warm weather holds - camp out. Kentucky has circled a well-appointed park system in and around Lexington. This past weekend I camped at General Burnside State Park which is about sixty-five miles south of Lexington near Somerset and collected fossils along the Cumberland river and visited some non commercial caves near-by. My three day tour of the area set me back almost sixty-five bucks {including liquor) . I rode around with some yankee pals and ate most meals at camp through the hospitable nature and largesse of those who like to cook.

If motor touring and camping is possible for you, send me a PM outling your available time and I'll be happy to suggest some free but cool diversions and neat things to see.

But Please Note: No collecting of rocks or fossils or plants are permitted in any of the state parks of Kentucky without a permit. And unless you have a responsible local free guide who is affiliated with the National Speleological Society, don't visit the non-commericial caves. Pay the twelve bucks and visit Mammoth Cave National Park and see part of the longest cave in the world (three-hundred and fifty-plus miles long). You'll be glad you did.

Postscript: Gasoline prices in mid-Kentucky (as of 10-3-04) average about $1.95 per gallon.
Posted By: Jackie Re: non-word question for the Kentuckians - 11/01/04 02:28 PM
COOL, boronia! Be sure to PM Alex; maybe he and his wife could meet you for lunch or dinner; and if you can't get to Louisville, I can run down there--no problem. I do hope that your only days are not going to be the 13th. and 14th.--I'm going to Chicago then, barring something unexpected. Let me know, will you? I'd be delighted to meet you, and to show you some of Louisville if you can get up here (it's 80 miles).
Here's the official Lexington link for you:
http://www.visitlex.com/

We took some friends to Kentucky Horse Park this summer, and it was one of the best days I've ever spent--because they knew of, and were interested in, U.S. horse racing. If you like horses, there's plenty to see other than about thoroughbreds; but if you're indifferent about horses then you might want to skip it.

In any case: WELCOME TO KENTUCKY!!!

Posted By: Jackie Re: non-word question for the Kentuckians - 11/15/04 01:50 AM
FTR, I had a very nice time in Chicago, despite my cold. Bit of advice: if you're going out for the evening and know you're going to need a dose of cough med. along the way, and you don't want to take the gigantic bottle with you, and you spy those neat little bottles of shampoo and conditioner in your hotel room, and think that they are just the right size to hold a dose: be SURE that you have rinsed it out completely!!! [bleah e]

© Wordsmith.org