Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Happy National Punctuation Day! - 08/22/04 12:16 PM
Mind your periods and question marks.

http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com/

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Happy National Punctuation Day! - 08/22/04 12:30 PM
I made -that one- a link, Anna. (thanks!)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Happy National Punctuation Day! - 08/22/04 12:44 PM
alas, the ellipsis symbol returns the dreaded '404'...
-ron (punctuation misuse is, fun) obvious

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Happy National Punctuation Day! - 08/22/04 02:02 PM
National Punctuation Day even got a mention on CBS News every-hour-on-the-hour. Now THAT's a product placement!!

(I got a 404 for ellipisis, too. Guess there's no such thing.)

Posted By: musick Happy ... Punctuation Day! - 08/22/04 04:53 PM
From the site's *heading:

...and the ever-mysterious ellipsis

I'd like to maintain the minute bit of mystery surrounding *my ellipses...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Happy National Punctuation Day! - 08/22/04 09:57 PM
No 404 here …

Posted By: varaha Re: Happy National Punctuation Day! - 08/22/04 11:48 PM
My personal hero on the thorny subject of punctuation is Lord Timothy Dexter [1748-1806]. In his autobiography, A Pickle for the Knowing Ones: or Plain Truths in a Homespun Dress, he added an appendix consisting of a whole bunch of punctuation. As he wrote: "fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese".

http://fifth-estate.home.comcast.net/lord_dexter/the_holl_pickle.htm

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Happy National Punctuation Day! - 09/14/04 09:03 PM
There's a car wash in town with a despicable sign which reads:

Ladies Day
Tuesday's

Makes me want to leap out of the car and chop it down!

Posted By: Father Steve Roadside Signs - 09/14/04 11:26 PM
Dear Bean ~

I have a similar reaction to all businesses which use the word "nite" on their signs, e.g. "Day-n-Nite Grocery." Grrrr.

Posted By: Zed Re: Roadside Signs - 09/14/04 11:28 PM
I liked the "Antiques and Junque" store but the Kozy Korner Kafe annoys me no end.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Roadside Signs - 09/14/04 11:53 PM
Are there really any places called "The Dew Drop Inn" or is that a fictitious construct?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Drop Innn - 09/15/04 10:20 AM
Some people just have no control of their sense of humor. Google dew-drop-inn and go to images.

For extra credit try the same with "curl up and dye" for the cutesy named beauty salons.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Dew Drop Innn - 09/15/04 10:47 AM
>Some people just have no control of their sense of humo(u)r.

The Dew Drop Inn thang don't work so good up here, where we pronounce the word "Dyew", as in "Nyew". (RIP Fred Ebb)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Drop Innn - 09/15/04 11:13 AM
The Dew Drop Inn thang don't work so good up (sic) here

One of my googled Dew Drop Inns is in Ireland, btw. Din't see none in Zildia, but then I din't look all that hard, neither.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Dew Drop Innn - 09/15/04 11:16 AM
Faux celtic is the preferred flavour of naff here - D(h)unroamin, D(h)unwand(h)rin, that sort of thing.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Dew Drop Innn - 09/15/04 08:45 PM
If you're constantly exposed to these types of play-on-words names, I can see why you might get tired, but here in Québec, it's extremely rare. It's just not a French habit.

So for me, it's always fun seeing the store names when I go into the English provinces.

Posted By: TEd Remington Dew Drop Inn - 09/17/04 09:04 PM
When I was a kid growing up in Burke, Va, there was a Dew Drop Inn on Ox Road, between Clifton and Fairfax Station. More specifically, there was a sign which said that on an abandoned building. I don't remember its ever being opened, and that was just about half a century ago. Now that I think about it, it was an old Coca Cola sign, and it would probably be worth a mint today.

Posted By: Zed Re: Dew Drop Inn - 09/17/04 11:44 PM
A drive up Vancouver Island includes: the aformentioned Antiques and Junque; My-Chosen Cafe (in the hamlet of Metchosen); the unfortunately named pseudo-Spanish Costa Lotta Campground and worst of all the Northern Fourty hobby farm. .
For years there was also a sign on someone's acreage cut onto a big wooden slab.
........John & Norah
...........Smith
Only when you looked a little closer Norah's name was carved into a piece of 2 by 4 and nailed overtop of the first wife's name. It's hard to get more sincere than that!!!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Curl Up and Dye - 09/18/04 09:29 AM
That's a new one for me. The first time you read it, it's cute and brings a little smile. But see it again? It's immediately a very old joke. Wonder why?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Drop Inn - 09/18/04 01:09 PM
There's a diner in Tioga County, Pennsylvania called La Ponda Rosa. I like to think of it as the Pink Pound.

Posted By: Owlbow Re: Dew Drop Inn - 09/20/04 04:24 PM
'Seen since the start of this string:
On left and right truck mud flaps: Passing Side / Suicide
Hairdresser: Shear Madness
Small Farm sign: Backacres
I dislike contrived and witless names like Ye Olde Spirit Shoppee and such when the place is plainly quite new. Signage makers get paid by the letter, so it's good for the economy I suppose, (he said dispiritedly)

edit: 'didn't mean to plagiarize wofahulicodoc - please excuse my oversight. O'bow

Posted By: musick Dressing Hares - 09/20/04 06:18 PM
"Shears to you" and "The Mane Attraction" are a coupla locals.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Dressing Hares - 09/20/04 08:49 PM
the Permanent Solution

I know. hard to believe.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Dew Drop Inn - 09/23/04 06:19 PM
There is a dispensing optician in the University District of Seattle whose business is called "Eyes Right."

© Wordsmith.org