Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Rap Dictionary - 08/17/04 11:11 PM
Lookee what I found!

http://www.rapdict.org/

My probation officer sent it to me after a defendant kept referring to me in court today as "Homes."

[Thanks to musick for the heads-up to edit the link!]
Posted By: musick Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/17/04 11:21 PM
Father, there's an extra http:// in that link, but thanks for the 411.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/17/04 11:25 PM
In reply to:

My probation officer

'Fess up padre, waddya do? Thanks for the link, though. Nice to see that they still let you sit on the bench while on probation.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/18/04 12:45 AM
Well, either he likes you a lot, Father Steve, or maybe he was really saying Holmes, as in Sherlock.

My attention was caught by the end of a line (really--not the beginning) here:
ho
1) (n) Hooker, prostitute, from the Southern pronounciation of the word whore. "She ain't nothing but another ho, according to the system" -- KRS-One (Exhibit D. [1990]).
2) (v) To sell out.

My mind flashed immediately from KRS to Kentucky Revised Statutes, having dealt with them so much. You reckon that's what this is referring to? (Except, I don't know what to make of the "-One": ours usually read something like KRS 177.421.)

Posted By: amemeba Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/18/04 09:34 AM
In rap and in all vulgar jargon, usage is everything, as in...

Hey home, where you at?

"Home" being short for homely, but said affectionately.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/18/04 03:52 PM
Home" being short for homely

Or for "homey":

homey (n) See homeboy. "But I wish he could have said it to my dead homey" -- Ice Cube (Dead Homiez [1990]).

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/18/04 06:43 PM
This is an excellent site, Fatha! It loads quickly and is easy to navigate. Props to you, bro, for posting it.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/18/04 07:10 PM
Props to you, bro ...

Props. Props! I actually know (now) what that MEANS!

Fatha

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/18/04 09:18 PM
I think this one probably has a wider use than the California prison vocabulary page. Thanks, Your Honour.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/19/04 05:26 AM
One prays never to be in a California prison and therefor to have no use for a dictionary of the patois spoken therein. One wonders if Martha Stewart might benefit from a similar dictionary.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Rap Dictionary - 08/19/04 09:42 AM
>One prays never to be in a California prison and therefor to have no use for a dictionary.

As befits your roles, you speak the truth.

Posted By: TEd Remington Martha Stewart might benefit - 08/19/04 04:43 PM
if she can crochet a little dust jacket for it, using the lint from the dryer in the prison laundry.

© Wordsmith.org