Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Google's logo today - 08/13/04 12:54 PM
I'm looking at this and wondering: is it an homage to the Olympics or a caveat emptor*, "beware Geeks bearing gifts," to potential IPO bidders?

http://www.google.com/

~~~~~~~
*how do you say that in Greek?

Posted By: jheem Re: Google's logo today - 08/13/04 01:30 PM
how do you say that in Greek?

Depends on what you mean by that? The phrase "beware of Greeks" is Englished from the Aeneid and in Latin is: Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. A synonym of caveo 'to guard' is the Greek phulasso. The Latin is a hortatory subjunctive (now what's the Gk form?). Gk agoraste:s (< agora 'market; assembly') is a good word for emptor. Oh, well: phulasse agoraste:s. (Though I doubt it';s correct; I'm not sure you can use the 3PS like in Latin.)

Posted By: Jackie Re: Google's logo today - 08/13/04 02:06 PM
Clicking on the logo gives you a bunch of hits about the Olympics, so I guess it's that. Whoa--I keep forgetting this is Friday the 13th. Hope it's not a portent for opening day.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Google's logo today - 08/13/04 02:17 PM
not a portent

no, it's not important...

http://www.snopes.com/luck/friday13.asp

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Google's logo today - 08/13/04 03:06 PM
i was disappointed that they did not work the five Olympic rings into the five round or almost round letters Goog and e

That would have been neat.

Posted By: jheem Re: Google's logo today - 08/13/04 03:12 PM
Here's what they did a quartet of years ago:

http://www.google.com/doodle3.html

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Google's logo today - 08/13/04 03:17 PM
the rings are probably trademarked, so Google would get sood...

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Google's logo today - 08/13/04 11:49 PM
The Olympic Charter defines the five-ring symbol and claims it as the exclusive property of the International Olympic Committee. It not only asserts a right to international trademark protection but requires all member nations, through their national Olympic committees, to assert and protect the exclusive use of the symbol, as well. This is why, at the time of the games in Atlanta, the organizing committee was successful in compelling a local fast-food drive-in restaurant to stop using, in its advertising, a picture of five onion rings, so arranged as to mimic the official Olympic symbol.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic I like today's: - 08/20/04 09:47 AM
Zeus as goalkeeper!

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: I like today's: - 08/20/04 09:50 AM
>Zeus as goalkeeper.

Not bad, but he still can't stop Nike from being the big winner at every Games. Kind of apt, really.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Are we missing something? - 08/21/04 12:10 AM
...I was expecting some clever-if-maybe-subtle acknowledgment of the IPO...

Posted By: Capfka Re: Are we missing something? - 08/21/04 01:25 PM
What, like Google throwing the SEC off the top of their logo? It think there'd be a lot of sympathy in Wall Street for that ...

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Google's logo today - 08/30/04 04:46 AM
All gone.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Google's logo today - 08/30/04 11:55 AM
Yep. I watched the closing ceremony last night; very lovely. There were kudos to the overall organizer, whom I believe they said was the first female to do it. It seemed to me that there was an overall feeling of high (though competitive) goodwill: what the Olympics should be. Watching the faces of the winners was inspiring.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Google's birthday today? - 09/07/04 09:53 PM
?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Google's birthday today? - 09/07/04 10:53 PM
If one clicks on the logo on the home page, it returns a short message: "Celebrating Google's 6th Birthday."

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Google's birthday today? - 09/07/04 11:01 PM
>If one clicks on the logo on the home page, it returns a short message: "Celebrating Google's 6th Birthday."

Sorry, I was unable to do that due to the debiltating effects of terimnal indolence. Thanks for helping me out.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Google's birthday today? - 09/07/04 11:16 PM
Bestir yourself and read all about it:

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=851

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Ray Charles! - 09/23/04 02:21 PM

Posted By: Owlbow Re: Ray Charles! - 09/23/04 04:54 PM
Everything is for the eye these days - TV, Life, Look, the movies. Nothing is just for the mind. The next generation will have eyeballs as big as cantaloupes and no brain at all. -Fred Allen However, TV is occasionally worth watching. In my life, two of the best of those times involved Ray, You Don’t Own Me, Charles. I don’t remember which variety show it was, but Ray was playing and singing. He finished one number and then Barbara Streisand joined him for a rendition of “Crying Time”. I gently wept. The other was his duet with Kermit on Sesame Street. They preformed "It's Not Easy Bein' Green". My, my, my.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Ray Charles! - 09/23/04 08:12 PM
Just bought his new CD, Genius Loves Company - duets with Norah Jones, James Taylor, Elton John, Natalie Cole, Willie Nelson, B.B. King, and six others. Some great listening!

© Wordsmith.org