Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve A Modest Proposal - 08/04/04 07:12 PM
If I ran the world ... or if I ran this board ... or if I ran the search page on this board ...

... The default value under "Forum to search" would be "All Forums" (only I'd probably pluralize it "fora").

AND

... The default value under "Date Range" would be "All posts" (which I would pluralize "posts").

One suspects, rather strongly, that these are the values most often selected by most users of the search page and therefor ought, by default, be the defaults.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A Modest Proposal - 08/04/04 08:38 PM
yeah. problem is, there's no one "running" this board.

Posted By: Faldage Re: A Modest Proposal - 08/04/04 09:41 PM
I'm with you on the All For(ums,a) bit but I probably more often go for much shorter periods on the date range. My most recent Search was for something within the last week.

What I'd really like on the forum choice is to be able to select any number. And maybe add in poster, too.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: A Modest Proposal - 08/04/04 10:41 PM
My most recent Search was for something within the last week.

Ah, this is why God made chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

99% of the time, I use the search function to see if someone has already explored an item which is brand new to me. Most recently, it was the word "spiv". I discovered, it had been briefly discussed and defined ... so I let it go, rather than bring it up again and risk the wrath of those who are waiting to pounce on those who run a plow through a furrow which has already been turned.

(Nice mix of metaphors and allusions in this post, wouldn't you say?)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A Modest Proposal - 08/04/04 10:44 PM
I'm diggin' you, Father Steve. all posts, all the time...

Posted By: Faldage Re: A Modest Proposal - 08/05/04 10:14 AM
99% of the time, I use the search function to see if someone has already explored an item

So we're agreed? No default (or don't care what the default is) for Date Range.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic What I want to know is... - 08/05/04 11:19 AM
if the defaults are changed, does this mean we have to eat our children?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A Modest Proposal - 08/05/04 12:03 PM
So we're agreed?

we are?
I could go for No default, but I still prefer "all posts".

had your coffee yet, Anna?
Posted By: Faldage Re: What I want to know is... - 08/05/04 09:10 PM
eat our children

Only if we're Irish.

Posted By: of troy getting back to a modest proposal... - 08/05/04 10:59 PM
eat our children

Only if we're Irish.

no, faldage, don't the irish children go to feed the english, (giving the irish a thing of value to export, and way to earn money to buy oats (defined as food for horses in england, but eaten by the scots, (and irish too))to eat for themselves?

Swift wasn't so crude as to suggest canabalism.

© Wordsmith.org