Wordsmith.org
Posted By: inselpeter Kant - 02/12/04 05:20 PM
Today is the 200th anniversary of Immanuel Kant's death. Of Kant, Joschka Fischer says (in an interview at Radio Deutsche Welle) that he is the most important philosopher of modernity--evidently, on grounds of his 'political' Perpetual Peace. In that work Kant outlines his idea for a league of nations. Fischer does not, however, suggest that the UN follows Kant's design. Interestingly, Kant suggested that one of the inhibiting conditions was the technical contraints on [global] communication. Speaking for myself, the most intriguing aspect of his philosophy is his grounding of ethics in aesthetics, as the very possibility of community. With respect to *this (awadian)* community, overcoming those constraints is, obviously, fundamental. Whether or not that same revolution bodes the possibility of perpetual peace...

Posted By: Capfka Re: Kant - 02/12/04 08:55 PM
[Humming "The Philosphers Song" -e]

Kant didn't question the basics - religion - and therefore built his entire philosophy on a house of cards ...

[ducking behind something large and immovable -e]

Posted By: wwh Re: Kant - 02/12/04 10:13 PM
For instance, he writes a lot about the soul - for which there is no evidence.

[IMMANUEL KANT - FROM THE CRITIQUE OF PRACTICAL REASON]

The Immortality of the Soul

PURE practical reason postulates the immortality of the soul, for reason in the pure and practical sense aims at the perfect good (summum bonum), and this perfect good is only possible on the supposition of the soul's immortality. It is the moral law which determines the will, and in his will the perfect harmony of the mind with the moral law is the supreme condition of the summum bonum.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Kant - 02/12/04 11:28 PM
Reminds me of the story Bennett Cerf told of the philosophy professor who had a real dolt in his class. He decided that if the dolt could not correctly answer correctly the next question directed at him, he would throw him out with a failing grade. So he called on this guy as follows:

"Mr. Jones, can you tell me the name of the important German philosopher who wrote 'The Critique of Pure Reason?'"

Mr. Jones responded, "Professor, I can't."

The professor sighed and went on with his lecture.

© Wordsmith.org