Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu what'(wa)s happening? - 02/09/04 09:24 PM
http://www.edunetconnect.com/cat/timemachine/index.html

an interesting site. take your time...

Posted By: Flatlander Re: what'(wa)s happening? - 02/10/04 12:25 PM
Great site, eta. I could have spent all day. I like the idea of a "temporal" approach to history -- teaching everything that happened at a certain time, rather than presenting the entire history of a society, then going back to the "beginning" to teach another society.

Posted By: shanks Well dodgy - 02/10/04 05:15 PM
Look up 4000 years ago, India, and the interesting (though IMO not feasible) claim that the Indus Valley Civilisation is the "mother culture of all the Indo-Europeans".

This is an idea I have seen before, and is mooted by a number of Indian and Pakistani historians, but I'm sorry, I don't yet buy it. The dates alone seem wrong, as well as the technology: it's all very well for them to have had iron at the time, but what about horses and chariots?

Interesting idea, though.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: Capfka Re: Well dodgy - 02/10/04 09:10 PM
All a bit light and frothy, though. How much is "enough" and how much is "too much"? Matter of opinion, I guess.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Well dodgy - 02/10/04 10:44 PM
I think I like it because it is an easy read. It's like a spring-board...when something hits my fancy, I can do a more indept study on that specific subject. If it went into too much detail, then I'm not sure I'd wade through everything until I found a nugget of info that'd pique my curiosity.

Posted By: musick Re: what'(wa)s happening? - 02/11/04 12:15 AM
... and it seems to think that the 1960's fall into the "25 years ago in North America" category.

Posted By: jheem Re: Well dodgy - 02/11/04 05:48 AM
Yes, it's a bit too late for PIE, and some other non-Hindi-speaking Indians suggest that Dravidian was spoken by the Indus Valley culture.

© Wordsmith.org