Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic New worm virus alert - 01/27/04 02:08 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Tech&cat=Computer_Viruses_and_Worms

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: heard any good songs lately? - 02/06/04 02:13 PM
I just got Monday's AWAD, finis... I have had a couple of instances lately of very late arriving email...

just thought everyone would want to know.

Posted By: wwh Re: heard any good songs lately? - 02/06/04 03:07 PM
To find Today's Word, don't wait for e-mail, scroll down to
bottom of this window,and click on Today's Word. I am a bit
frustrated, it is "finis" for the third time.

Posted By: maverick Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 05:08 PM
the worm also creates new addresses by guessing common user names and prepending them to domain names of found email addresses [e.a.]

I understand what the writer is hanging onto with this uglification, but since the space this word occupies is already taken I intend to remove his preppendix with a rusty spoon

prepend

rare.

trans. To weigh mentally, ponder, consider; to premeditate. (But app. often used by confusion for perpend.)

a1568 Wedderburn in Bannatyne Poems (Hunter. Cl.) 839 And als ye sowld prepend bayth day and houris, To grit mischeif, misery and neid, Fra paramouris dois evir mair succeid. 1621 Bolton Stat. Irel. 128 (Act 28 Hen. VIII), The kings majestie+prepending and waying+how much it doth more conferre to the induction of rude and ignorant people to the knowledge of Almightie God. 1890 Scots Observer 4 Jan. 179 There are still amongst us people who prepend the Sphinx-torpedo question.

Hence pre"pended ppl. a., premeditated; = prepense a. (nonce-use.)

1831 Lamb Elia Ser. ii. Newspapers 35 Years Ago, To get up, moreover, to make jokes with malice prepended.

OED2

Posted By: jheem Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 05:19 PM
It's a common enough usage in IT. Perhaps you'd prefer prefix as a verb?

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/p/prepend.html

It's interesting how append went from something weighed to something attached.

Posted By: Faldage Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 05:28 PM
Append seems to have taken on the connotation of being attached to the end. (I don't suppose Appendix had anything to do with *that) Prepend would then be necessay to specify that it's being added to the front. Whether it's the best choice is a whole nother question.

Posted By: maverick Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 05:45 PM
Something weighed? I thought it was linked etymologically to appendage, and thus figuratively the bits hanging off the end of a document.

Posted By: Faldage Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 05:49 PM
the bits hanging off

AHD4's on your side this time, mav.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/67/A0376700.html

Posted By: wwh Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 05:51 PM
And thereby appends a tale.

Posted By: maverick Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 05:54 PM
ah, OK, so now I mustn't hang about ~ supper calls! Have a good weekend, all y'all above the line dwellers ;)

Posted By: jheem problem with editing - 02/06/04 06:00 PM
Does anybody know why when I edit an entry, the pseudo-HTML markup gets fouled up? I replaced this comment with this question. The real comment is in the next entry.
Posted By: jheem Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 06:20 PM
A pendent is something that hangs down because it weighs something. (Cf. pendejo in Mexican Spanish.) Latin appendo (whence append) means 'to weigh, pay out; consider'. Appendix is probably from pendeo 'to hang, supsend'. They're probably both from the same root *(s)pen(d)- 'to draw, pull, stretch, spin'; also pound (from pondus) and spider.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE489.html

Posted By: of troy Re: problem with editing - 02/06/04 06:30 PM
do you mean that when you cut/copy some text, it doesn't copy the mark up codes --so things that were blue or in italics are back to being plain text?

i don't know why it behaves that way.. but it does.. (and the same is true for other boards i have been on..) are there boards with soft ware that let you copy not just the visible text but also the sourse code that controls the appearence of the text?

Posted By: jheem Re: problem with editing - 02/06/04 06:44 PM
No, I mean that if I edit my own entry (after posting it) which might contains something like the text "boy howdy!". The text looks like this in the box, but when I post, it turns into HTML, like this: ""<i>boy howdy!</i>". It's strange.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: heard any good words lately? - 02/06/04 08:05 PM
pendejo in Mexican Spanish

Board's getting toward being x-rated, eh?

Posted By: Capfka Re: problem with editing - 02/06/04 08:06 PM
No, it's cheap. The software used to run this board is very old and has some quirks. You have just encountered one of them. We have the latest, greatest and swept-uptest bulletin board software for our intranet at work, and boy-howdy! does it have some features ...

'corse, it costs a bundle, too.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: problem with editing - 02/06/04 08:50 PM
well, and we've had this discussion before, there are several good, free options out there, but some don't do this, and some don't do that, and ...
fwiw, I've been having lots of cookie problems on the board lately. I seem to remember someone else mentioning that recently.

Posted By: jheem Re: you say bowdler, I saw prepend - 02/06/04 10:17 PM
Board's getting toward being x-rated, eh?

Well, I hesitated to gloss it given the genteel nature of the board. If you think I was out of bounds (the word is a cognate with append and on topic), I can retract the entry. Or I can start to use asterisks for strategic vowels.

Posted By: jheem Re: problem with editing - 02/06/04 10:18 PM
'corse, it costs a bundle, too.

Ill make do with what we've got. Just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

Posted By: Father Steve Clogged-Up Cyber Pipe - 02/06/04 10:20 PM
I have had a couple of instances lately of very late arriving email...

I, too, have been surprised by e-mail messages which refer to earlier messages, reportedly sent to me and others, to which one of the others is responding, but which I have not yet received. It then became clear that some stuff was getting through the cyber-pipe like a dose of salts through a heifer while other stuff is inexplicably delayed, for as long as three days. When I inquired of my ISP about this, some techno-geek wrote (copied) an obscure response about "the increased traffic due to the worm" and such. It seems to be smoothing out, now. Perhaps we should sing "Ding, dong, the worm is dead."

Posted By: Father Steve Re: you say bowdler, I saw prepend - 02/06/04 10:26 PM
given the genteel nature of the board

I see no reason to omit a post about pendejo as it pertained directly to the subject under discussion. There is no way to know if there are children present, but, what they heck, they could learn something here. There is a big difference, I think, between appropriate discussion of subjects and the crass use of foul language. This, without doubt, is the prior.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: mydoom, or as the worm turns... - 02/06/04 10:31 PM
yah, I figgered it was probably the worm...

and as far as language is concerned, I can remember several tmetical discussions about our favorite fword...

Posted By: musick Tom*to, tom*to - 02/06/04 10:43 PM
...genteel nature...

© Wordsmith.org