Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Architecture encyclopedia - 01/03/04 02:15 PM
Down in Meta-words Wordwind posted term "oculus", which is a small round window. In looking it up I found this encyclopedia new to me, with many marvelous words about
architecture. Well worth browsing.
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/TA.HTM

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/03/04 02:20 PM
that's a good site, Bill, thanks. the music dictionary is pretty extensive. I haven't checked out any of the others, yet.
though I hate all those flashing ads...

Posted By: wwh Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/03/04 02:23 PM
Dear etaoin: I hate flashing ads too, but if they make possible the reference site, I can overlook them.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/04/04 02:20 AM
It is a very thorough architectural dictionary, with good illustrations. It's Anglo-centric, and while some terms are slightly different, architectural jargon is pretty universal around the English-speaking world. The funny thing about architectural dictionaries as a professional is, if I have to look the term up, there's a good chance the person I'm talking to isn't familiar with the term either, so I'm better off just explaining what I mean in simpler terms.

Good find, Bill. I'll be bookmarking it.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/04/04 02:53 AM
I attempted to send Flatlander a PM about his last post. I wanted to ask why, if he is willing to tell us that he is an architect in a post, he does not list his occupation, on his bio page, as "architect." Then I discovered that he/she does not accept private messages, nor does he/she provide an e-mail address to which one can send.

So I'll address this inquiry more broadly to us all: if you are going to disclose something like your occupation in the body of a message, why not also list it on your bio page, so that newcomers can see what you do for a living, if they wonder about something in one of your posts?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/04/04 12:22 PM
he does not list his occupation

Looks to me like his occupation is 'architectural dictionary.' Maybe he just thought it would raise more questions than it answered if he mentioned that on his bio page.

"The funny thing about architectural dictionaries as a professional is…"

Posted By: wow Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/04/04 04:30 PM
That's a really nifty site Dr. Bill! Thanks

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/05/04 04:16 PM
Father Steve,

Sorry your PM didn't get through, I do accept them, though [see edit below]. I am not an architect, but an historic preservationist -- I work for a state agency that awards grants for rehabilitating historic proterties -- and I didn't fill that out in my bio page simply because I generally don't like posting personal information on web forums, as I don't know who will be reading the info. That said, since I'm more trusting of AWADtalk than I am of any of the other boards I try to keep up with, I'll update my Profile here to be a little bit more informational. Frankly, it's just a matter of out of sight, out of mind -- I haven't even thought about it since I've "come back". Thanks for the reminder, Padre!

[EDIT]: In checking my profile, I noticed that PMs were disabled, but I have been receiving at least some over the past few weeks (specifically from wwh). While I am not opposed to giving The Good Doctor special priveleges, I wonder how that was possible.
Posted By: wwh Re: Architecture encyclopedia - 01/05/04 04:36 PM
Dear Father Steve: I'm surprised that I was more fortunate than any other member in being able to send you a PM. I think PMs should be used more often, to avoid posts properlyonly of interest to two parties. And particularly to avoid posts capable of hurting some members feelings,or
holding them up to ridicule.

© Wordsmith.org