Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Just for Jackie - 12/18/03 02:21 AM
Hang on to any of the new State of Kentucky quarters if you have them, they may be worth much more than 25 cents. The U.S. Treasury announced today that it is recalling all of the Kentucky quarters that are part of its program featuring quarters from each state. "We are recalling all the new Kentucky quarters that were recently issued," Treasury Undersecretary Jack Shackleford said Monday. "This action is being taken after numerous reports that new quarters will not work in parking meters, toll booths, vending machines, pay phones, or other coin-operated devices." The quarters were issued in the order in which the various states joined the U.S. and have been a tremendous success among coin collectors worldwide. "The problem lies in the unique design of the Kentucky quarter, which was created by a University of Louisville graduate," Shackleford said, "Apparently, the duct tape holding the two dimes and nickel together keeps jamming the coin-operated devices."

Posted By: Jackie Re: Just for Jackie - 12/18/03 03:02 AM
Yep, if you can't fix it with duct tape and a hammer, it don't need fixin'.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Just for Jackie - 12/18/03 12:07 PM

Posted By: wow Re: Seriously, folks - 12/18/03 01:58 PM
For real - hold on to the New Hampshire coins as they have The Old Man Of The Mountain them - and the face collapsed this past summer. No word as to whether they will re-issue later or what . I doubt it. The Old Man was there when the coin was issued.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Seriously, folks - 12/18/03 02:57 PM
excuse me, but if they issued a gazillion of them, how does the IRL collapse make them worth any more than two american bits?

Posted By: of troy Re: Seriously, folks - 12/18/03 03:32 PM
main is the state with the fewest quarters issued.. so in theory, they should be the most valuable in time..

but so many people are making sets of the quarters, (or as least started to make sets) i suspect the last quarters issued are the one least likely to be 'collected' when current, and will be the 'rarest' 50 years hence.

i don't think a full set of all 50 state quarters will be worth much (more than face value) in my lifetime... of course, i could be wrong and live to be a 150 years old...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Hey, tsuwm - 12/18/03 05:16 PM
While you're at it, would you please refresh us on the origin of "two bits"?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hey, tsuwm - 12/18/03 06:24 PM
Bit, which ultimately comes from the Old English bita, originally meant a morsel of food. From there it went on to denote any small thing, particularly a fraction of a larger whole. By 1683 in the English-speaking American colonies bit had come to denote a Spanish/Mexican real, or one eighth of a peso. The peso was a common form of currency in the colonies. And in the early days of the United States, pesos were commonly used as dollar coins and real coins represented twelve and half cents, hence two bits equaled 25 cents. - Dave Winton

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Thanks, tsuwm - 12/18/03 08:32 PM
... I'd always wanted to know, and always forgot to ask.

Now I gotta ask: Is Dave Winton any relation to that Wilton dude?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Thanks, tsuwm - 12/18/03 08:42 PM
more to the point, *is he that Wilton dude? (I very much think so..)

© Wordsmith.org