Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wofahulicodoc technical question - 12/15/03 09:33 PM
Every so often (actually, annoyingly frequently these days) I will click on a post on this board and get an error message -- something to the effect of "URL is the wrong length for this type of post." And then after three or four fruitless attempts, and trying to get to it from another approach, or going away perhaps to come back later, the same link goes through without a hitch.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: technical question - 12/15/03 09:35 PM
never have seen that one. what browser, etc., are you using?

It's the office machine that's beng rambunctious and I'm now at home. The office machine is part of a fairly large hospital network of many hundreds of machines, possibly thousands, using IE but I don't know which version. Or maybe that's even "versions." The OS is mostly Windows 2000 but they are phasing in XP. I've never seen that problem anywhere else either.

I would guess it's some sort of cache problem on that machine. I think you can clear the cache in the IE prefs. good luck!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc cache as cache can - 12/16/03 01:10 AM
Good thought. I'll give it a try.

Posted By: maverick Re: cache as cache can - 12/16/03 05:52 PM
I frequently get a random-seeming bar from opening some threads - just noticed this guff in the alert:

"HTTP 502 Proxy Error - The size of the response header is too large. Contact your ISA server administrator. (12216)
Internet Security and Acceleration Server"

whaaaaahhh?

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: cache as cache can - 12/16/03 06:22 PM
It's the cookie madness, imo. I belong to several web forums, and I have never seen one that generates as many cookies as AWAD. I have had similar messages before, and always take it as a sign that my poor browser is balking at being asked to swallow another truckload of cookies from wordsmith.org.

Posted By: Jackie Re: cache as cache can - 12/17/03 02:36 AM
Well, if cookies is what makes me have to type only one letter in the username PM box, I say keep 'em!

Posted By: Capfka Re: cache as cache can - 12/19/03 10:31 AM
Actually I get the same error at work. It's the settings on your proxy server. Unless you can get them changed, you're stuck.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: cache as cache can - 12/19/03 12:58 PM
nice subject line, wofa!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: cache as cache can - 12/19/03 02:37 PM
"It isn't brains, because You Know Why, Rabbit, but it comes to me sometimes..."

© Wordsmith.org