Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dodyskin OUCH - 09/29/03 12:14 PM
I've broken my toes

Posted By: of troy Re: OUCH - 09/29/03 01:25 PM
all of them at once? how careless! just a few? which ones?
Do you have a funny story to tell? do lets hear it!
i have broken my big toe (20 odd years ago) it hurt but not as much as a broken foot --or shoulder!

i broke my toe one summer night. my son had been playing with 2 friends (he was age 5 or 6) on the back stairs (exterior) with some friends. they had been collecting acorns.

later that night, just before bed, i realize, i should get the kitchen garbage out of the house, and into the cans on the street for the next mornings pick up. it was late and dark, (and i had to pee) but first i thought i'll get the garbage out (we didn't have a loo on the main floor of the house, just one upstairs, by the bedrooms)

so i picked up a bag of garbage, with potato pealings, and coffee grinds, and eggs shells, and oh, just wonderful messy garbage, and headed out the door.

unbeknownst to me, my son and friends had left a collection of acorns on the steps. i stepped on them, and like a scene from a comic movie, they rolled beneath my feet, and i went sailing! i landed (for the most part) in the grass, covered with garbage, (i had peed myself!), and i broke my toe!(the big one!)--(which had landed/been stubbed) on the concrete walk.
what a site and mess, and smell i made! bits of peelings, coffee grinds, egg shells! i was dazed, and in pain.

by the morning i realize, what a funny story it was... as i hobbled to the doctors.. all in all, my bit of slapstick didn't do to much harm, and i had a wonderful story to tell when some one asked "how on earth did you break your toe?"

Posted By: dxb Re: OUCH - 10/01/03 06:35 AM
Well, it sounds painful to me. I wince for you.

Posted By: wow Re: OUCH - 10/01/03 03:11 PM
I broke all the toes on my right foot when were in the Philippines. A huge can of tomatoes fell from a high shelf and hit my foot (I had told everyone a milliontyzillion times "NEVER store anything heavy over your head." Boy! did everyone feel guilty! Ha!)
Off to Clark AFB hospital to be told by the orthopedist Dr. Swetherick (at least that's how it sounded...) that broken toes are "about the most painful break we can't put in a cast or do much else for."
I was told to avoid bending the toes -- yeah right --and take aspirin for pain. Siiiiigh.
My sincere sympathy and try not to bend the toes!

Posted By: dodyskin Re: OUCH - 10/01/03 07:29 PM
aw, thanks, i wuz feeling a little sorry for myself when i posted, all cheerful now though.

oh, to answer your question, a monitor bracket i was holding fell apart and the clamp dropped on my foot, it weighed about four kilos, ooh i screamed like a little girl, and my language was most childish too.

Posted By: of troy Re: OUCH - 10/01/03 09:20 PM
well,you're in the best of company if both WoW and i admit to having broken toes! I found clogs(wooden soled 'hippy shoes') to be the best- as WoW says, you must try and keep you toes from bending --an wooden shoes that don't bent do that!- other wise, some firm new sneakers/trainers might do.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: OUCH - 10/02/03 03:45 AM
>! I found clogs(wooden soled 'hippy shoes') to be the best

True clogs, which I always call by their delightfully onomatopoeic Dutch name, klompen, are not merely wooden-soled, but are entirely wooden, some being made from a single piece of wood, hollowed out and shaped.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: OUCH - 10/08/03 12:56 PM
But I hear they can be used for sabotage.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: OUCH - 10/08/03 06:37 PM
>But I hear they can be used for sabotage.

Very nice indeed. Brava!

Posted By: Jackie Re: OUCH - 10/09/03 12:57 AM
Birdfeed--nice to see you back! We seem to have had several people on Sabbatical, lately.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: OUCH - 10/09/03 01:27 PM
Thanks. I've had way too many irons in the fire lately. Or ahrns in the fahr, as some of my Kentuckian ancestors would put it.

Posted By: musick Re: OUCH - 10/09/03 08:22 PM
...and my language was most childish too.

Just the opposite, I'm sure...

Posted By: AndrewsGhost Re: OUCH - 10/15/03 02:00 PM
How are they doing?

"Greater indeed are pleasures that are shared."
Posted By: Capfka Re: OUCH - 10/15/03 04:47 PM
Sabotage? Now that has a hollow ring to it ...

Posted By: Zed Re: OUCH - 10/15/03 11:15 PM
You poor thing. They are right a good story does help the pain a bit. My toes have survived but I once partially tore a knee ligament bt tripping over a pastor while chasing an 8 year old. Couldn't even swear when I landed

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: OUCH - 10/16/03 11:43 PM
...tripping over a pastor...

I assume you had a far falle and knockied your knee.

© Wordsmith.org