Wordsmith.org
Posted By: stales Anti BS Tool - 07/02/03 01:35 AM
Greetings All

Heard yesterday of a freebie download designed to reduce the level of gobbledigook, PC- (politically correct) speak and discursiveness in one's text documents. [Bet it would just about hemorrhage if it was to run through JK Rowlings' latest offering!!]

Have loaded it to my PC (computer in this instance!) at work and recommend it to you.

Besides being a good tool it is also fun! Having scanned your document it presents a score and comments that are worth a read themselves! I always have time for people or products that don't take themselves seriously!!

I know the purists among you have a problem with AWADers recommending commercial sites. In this instance I beg your forgiveness, I truly believe this product will be a delight to many among us.

The application is called 'Bullfighter' and that's exactly what it does. The download embeds an icon and a small tools menu into your Office and Outlook tool bars so they're there ready to check the on-screen document whenever you like.

You can read about it and/or get the download at http://www.dc.com/bullfighter. Unfortunately you have to endure a 2 minute corporate video while it loads, perhaps you could the time to go make a cuppa.

Interested to hear what you think about it.

stales

Posted By: sjm Re: Anti BS Tool - 07/02/03 01:39 AM
> Bullfighter runs only in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint 2000 and XP.

Which is a real shame, as it sounded interesting. Odd that they would limit their potential client base so.

edit They do have free screensavers, one of which sounds like fun.

Posted By: of troy Re: Anti BS Tool - 07/02/03 01:44 AM
Give us a sample!

include a word i heard coming from the mouth of a Brit expert on painting (on a PBS show called Antique Road Show) i think it is a copy of a similar BBC show. The expert refered to a woman as paintress- not a painter.. never heard that particular one before!

Posted By: stales Re: Give us a Sample! - 07/02/03 02:23 AM
<<lifted from their screen saver as ALL my documents are, of course, bull free!!>>

"Incentivise:- Egregious consulting jargon, maybe the worst word in this dictionary. Congratulations, you're a serious consultant. Other consultants will admire your grasp of terms such as 'incentivise'. Your clients will probably nod and flee."

(Refers to the dictionary embedded in the program - to which you can add your personal favourite hate words/phrases).

stales

Posted By: Faldage Re: Incentivise - 07/02/03 10:24 AM
Why even the most hidebound descriptivist would use this egregious neologism when we have the perfectly good incent is beyond me.

Posted By: dxb Re: Incentivise - 07/02/03 11:46 AM
Sounds like you're quite incensed.

© Wordsmith.org