Wordsmith.org
Posted By: FishonaBike Lost AWAD - 11/27/00 01:06 PM
Hi Folks

A lot of us over this side of the Pond - definitely mav, Jo and I - have been unable to access AWAD, or rather wordsmith.org, for the last week . Especially, it seems, when our web connections aren't happening via a proxy server.

Yet to establish, but this may not just be a UK problem - could be Europe too. If any non-UK Europeans are getting through OK, please post something on this thread. Thanks.

Clearly it would be nice to know if anyone knows anything about this - I suspect "improved" security on a US-based link server (one at qwest.net, possibly). But why should this only seemingly affect transatlantic connections? Oh, and why is only wordsmith.org/AWAD affected?

Jo has attempted to contact Anu, but he's in Hawaii

Desperate times indeed!

Fisk

P.S. My current connection is via a proxy server, as I'm at work

STOP PRESS - WE SEEM TO BE BACK!
Thanks for the support, folks.

Posted By: shanks Re: Lost AWAD - 11/27/00 01:39 PM
My condolences, and deepest sympathies.

the sunshine (from work, by proxy) warrior

Posted By: Jackie Re: Lost AWAD - 11/27/00 01:42 PM
I've sent an email requesting assistance.

You-all might try a back door: tsuwm's site,
http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/ has a link to
A Word A Day. If you can get there, there's a link
at the bottom of the screen to AWADTalk.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Lost AWAD - 11/27/00 02:26 PM
Hi to those who are still around,
Being also in the favo(u)rite position to use our firms proxy server, I have not had any problems recently.
Werner

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Lost AWAD - 11/27/00 02:29 PM
I've sent an email requesting assistance.

Thanks Jackie. Hope Anu has a deputy, if he's still in Hawaii. Or a laptop!

Much as I hate to intrude on anyone's holiday.

I suspect the "back door" will also be locked, as it still requires a link to the wordsmith.org server (in other words, we've tried getting to AWAD in general rather than AWADtalk in particular). But anything's worth a try, so I'll give it a blast when I get home.

Thank-ee milady.

Posted By: emanuela Re: Lost AWAD - 11/27/00 02:42 PM
I don't know exactly what a proxi server is, or if I am using it ( I suspect yes);
but in any case I had no problems in the last weeks - unless, maybe, something slower than before?
Ciao
Emanuela

Posted By: jmh Re: Lost AWAD - 11/29/00 10:04 PM
Hi - only 213 posts to read before I can write anything sensible (oh well, at least try to write anything sensible)- good to be back. I've only managed to get through to the site twice in the last week. Thanks for trying to help!

Jo

Posted By: shanks Yay! - 11/30/00 08:10 AM
She's back. Can Mav make it too?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Yay! - 12/07/00 10:08 AM
Oooh! what have I been missing?

I think I'll sell my brand new pile of electronics and go back to a hand-held adding machine.

I have been looking in occasionally over the past week or so, but haven't had time to post. Now it seems as though I might not have been able to anyway.
I feel a sort of disembodied frustration that I was here and able to share the real frustration that you all seem to have been experiencing.

© Wordsmith.org