Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 10:59 AM

Posted By: squid Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 12:06 PM
Do you have triskaidekaphobia?

http://www.salon.com/health/log/1999/08/13/friday_13th/

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 01:15 PM
here's a challenge: triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number thirteen. <argh!>
but can you find the word for the specific fear of Friday the 13th, which actually combines two fears?

Posted By: dxb Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 01:27 PM
Friggatriskaidekaphobia of course.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 01:33 PM
well, that's one coinage. there's another which I prefer..

Posted By: Faldage Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 01:45 PM
The lurking prescriptivist in me wants it to be all Greek roots. What's Greek for Friday?

Posted By: squid Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:04 PM
Paraskevidekatriaphobia

Looking around I found this word as the fear of Friday the 13th specifically. If this word exists, then does paraskevi have something to do with Friday? And shouldn't it then be paraskevitriskaidekaphobia?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:13 PM
Friday is Paraskevi in Greek

Posted By: dxb Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:14 PM
Well, paraskevidekatriaphobia is used by some, by it's a fairly new word I believe. I haven't tried working out its roots.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:21 PM
>fairly new word

according to Webster's New World Medical Dictionary, "The word 'paraskevidekatriaphobia' was devised by Dr. Donald Dossey who told his patients that "when you learn to pronounce it, you're cured!"" (no date given)

Posted By: dxb Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:26 PM
There you are then. I prefer the love goddess. She has given us so much after all, not just Friday but an alternative four letter word!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:29 PM
According to an online dictionary Paraskeni is the Modern Greek for Friday. How you get from there to Paraskevi I don't know. Somebody mistook a nu for a v perhaps. I don't know when the Greeks adopted the 7-day week or when the days of the week were given Greek names. Presumably Greek-speaking Jews in the Hellenistic period had a name for Friday, but I wouldn't know what it was.

Bingley
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:36 PM
I read somewhere that St. Paraskevi was so-named because he was born on Friday. you could look him up. <shrug>

Posted By: dxb Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 02:57 PM
He was a she:

St Paraskevi lived in the second century A.D. She was born to childless parents in answer to their prayers and on Friday which is why she was called "Paraskevi" which is "Friday" in Greek. Raised in great piety, she became a nun.

In what is today Turkey, she was arrested and brought to the Emperor Antonius Pius who fell in love with her, but Paraskevi would not give up her faith or her monastic profession. Even torture would not sway her from her resolve. She was placed in a cauldron of boiling pitch, but was unmoved. The Emperor believed that his soldiers were playing a trick on him and ordered Paraskevi to throw some of the pitch at him, as if to show that the pitch wasn't really hot. When Paraskevi threw some of the pitch at the Emperor's face, he went blind and cried out in utter agony from the pain! He begged Paraskevi to give him his sight back, and Paraskevi anointed his face and eyes with cool water - and so the Emperor's sight was restored.

She is honoured as the Orthodox patron of eye-sight and there is a shrine to her that can be viewed at: www.stparaskevi.org

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 09:10 PM
Hi, squid! Good to see our reigning Hogwash® champ back! (at the final tally of tallying, that is) What good fortune on Friday the 13th!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/13/03 09:49 PM
>our reigning Hogwash® champ

harumph®! so we're into revisionist history now, are we?!

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=49024

-joe (no respect) dangerfield

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/14/03 12:35 AM
And a full moon Friday the 13th, to boot!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/14/03 02:30 AM
Well, squid did take 3 out of the last 4 games tallied (or was it all four) before she left and we stopped tally-keeping at the same time, so she was reigning champ when the tallies stopped.

And, 'sides...the odds always favor the house, the blackjack dealer, and as Hogwash® progenitor and most frequent master-of-ceremonies, you're ability to accrue points greatly transcended the layfolks' odds...so, eliminating your score from the top, squid places third overall, and I dare say she whooped the Hogmaster when she was playing. So I still assert she was reigning champion when we suspended tally-taking.

Anywayz®, some one had to finally make you go and dig up that stat sheet for us again, O wizened Hogkeeper.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/14/03 02:41 AM
>some one had to finally make you go and dig up that stat sheet for us again..

yeah, and you didn't even bother to look at who won (or who played, for that matter) that round.

oh well, it is called hogwash®..

Posted By: squid Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/14/03 09:59 AM
Wow, it's nice to be remembered, but I certainly wasn't the champ. I just had a long stretch of beginner's luck!

(and to go off on another tangent) I didn't have time for the board because my husband lost his job and we frantically searched for a new one. At the same time we found out that I was pregnant and we had to move into a bigger place. Now my husband has a job again, we have a sweet 7 month old daughter and here I am! It's great to be back!

Posted By: nancyk Re: Friday the 13th! - 06/14/03 03:06 PM
Joblessness? pregnancy? new baby? Mighty poor excuses for not visiting AWAD! Just kidding, squid! Glad things are looking up for you again; it's good to have you back.

© Wordsmith.org