Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic And just in case - 03/24/03 04:10 PM
y'all don't have enough word websites to surf, may I present this recently stumbled-upon one:

http://www.wordspy.com/

Posted By: Jackie Re: And just in case - 03/24/03 06:44 PM
"wife acceptance factor"?? "wife acceptance factor"?!?! Geez-o-pete, somebody better tell that guy there's such a thing as political correctness! I'm so mad about that one, I can't even comment on the site, right now. again!

Posted By: sjm Re: And just in case - 03/24/03 06:55 PM
Well, Jacqulyn, did you read his comments on w.a.f? In part:
Backgrounder:
In these sensitive times, gender generalizing is a hazardous game that's usually played only by fools and rabble-rousers. I hesitate to speculate which of these groups the coiner of wife acceptance factor is a member of,

The site records and reports, it doesn't coin, AFAICT

Posted By: nancyk Re: leather spinsters??? - 03/24/03 07:22 PM
The term leather spinsters was first used in the late 80s by successful American careerwomen who didn't feel the urge or need to add marriage and it's [sic] components to their lives.

This is an American term? I must lead a sheltered life cuz I never heard it. Sounds vaguely salacious.

Posted By: Jackie Re: And just in case - 03/24/03 08:27 PM
Well, Jacqulyn, did you read his comments on w.a.f? No, I was so mad I left the site as soon as I finished reading the example of the "w.a.f.". [still shooting daggers e] I had thought it was a real example. I'll check it out further in a bit, thanks.

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: And just in case - 03/24/03 11:38 PM
I liked the clever al desko!! For all you indoorsy types . . .

Got a Hot Button there, Jackie??

Posted By: Jackie Re: And just in case - 03/25/03 01:00 AM
Ok, the guy who runs the site put up a few cautionary remarks. Woo. I STILL don't like that phrase--how dare some...some...person presume to think he knows what I, I, will or won't accept? GRR!!
Now, I do like another term on there: zipperhead. That could come in right handy, sometimes.

Posted By: sjm Re: And just in case - 03/25/03 01:04 AM
>Ok, the guy who runs the site put up a few cautionary remarks. Woo. I STILL don't like that phrase--how dare some...some...person presume to think he knows what I, I, will or won't accept? GRR!!

Well, no one asked you to like the phrase but surely you don't dislike the site simply because it lists an offensive phrase? 'Twould be like castigating the OED for including profanities and vulgarities.

Posted By: Jackie Re: And just in case - 03/25/03 01:54 AM
Oh, no, no, the site's fine--I have nothing against it.

© Wordsmith.org