Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Gremlins - 03/07/03 07:46 PM
Something in the software here (could it be Ænigma's eviller brother?) is resetting some of the forums so that all the more recent posts announce [NEW] even though I've already read them, and from this same computer. This happening to anybody else?

Mac jokes totally unaccepted

Posted By: wwh Re: Gremlins - 03/07/03 08:11 PM
Dear AS: Same thing happened to me about a week ago, but only for a short time.
Haven't seen it yet today. But there was quite a long hiatus when I got error message
wordsmith server not reponding.

Posted By: maahey Re: Gremlins - 03/07/03 08:48 PM
This has been happening to me everyday, AnnaS. And, it is very annoying. I thought this was a new format.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Gremlins - 03/07/03 08:48 PM
Same here earlier today, wwh.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Gremlins - 03/07/03 10:36 PM
Yes, for a while this afternoon I kept getting a server down message for wordsmith.

Posted By: wwh Re: Gremlins - 03/08/03 10:47 PM
A different kind of Gremlin. I just got a PM, replied. Main Index won't cancel notice of PM
waiting for me, though I have opened it a half dozen times. The software needs a lumbar puncture.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Gremlins - 03/13/03 02:48 AM
In reply to:

all the more recent
posts announce [NEW]

Anna, this is happening to me, too - just today, that I've noticed. Have you discovered anything? is it still happening to you?

It's rather annoying, rather.

Posted By: dxb Re: Gremlins - 03/13/03 01:54 PM
I have been having that 'NEW' problem intermittantly for some months actually and have grown used to it. But now there *is a new one. I find that I can no longer open a link to a url from a post. I have to copy it into Word (or somewhere) first and only then will it work. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Gremlins - 03/13/03 04:14 PM
Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I'm not, Sweetie. FWIW, I try to always check to make sure that my links work before I post them (when I remember to include them, that is! ). The ones I posted earlier today worked for me. Possibly something changed at your end? Have you had work done on your computer lately (or has your company, if you're at work)? Possibly they did something.

Posted By: dxb Re: Gremlins - 03/13/03 04:23 PM
The links you sent this morning, Jackie, on cheesecloth etc won't open for me unless I copy them and paste them into something else. Links I am getting from outside the company via e-mails are working fine however. So, I dunno.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Gremlins - 03/13/03 04:56 PM
I take back what I said! I just now tried to open sjm's over in Misc., and had to copy and paste, too.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Gremlins - 03/18/03 02:21 PM
gosharootie! someone brought this thread back to the top without adding to it. isn't that ironic?!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Gremlins - 03/18/03 11:05 PM
Not necessarily. It might have been sarcastic.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Gremlins - 03/18/03 11:30 PM
as it turns out, amazingly enough, it was merely coincidence.

Posted By: wwh Re: Gremlins - 03/19/03 12:49 AM
tsuwm is being kind. Though I was logged on, the buttons to
make a reply were not in sight. I thought that was a gremlin, and posted about it. Then I discovered that the screen had gone just barely wide enough to hide the buttons, but not wide enough that I noticed it at first. So I deleted the post, and did not remember that the subject would still be at the top.
Thanks,tsuwm. And please forgive me for setting of false alarm.

© Wordsmith.org