Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Maurice Tories In Turmoil - 11/06/02 10:54 AM
With the Tories in turmoil with divisons and in-fighting yet again, is this not the time to coin a new word to describe the self-destructive nature of this despicable political party?

Maurice doesn't like the Tories very much.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/06/02 11:44 AM
The Conservative and Disunionist Fissiparty?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/06/02 12:49 PM
What's a Fissiparty?

Posted By: Maurice Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/06/02 02:35 PM
A carbonated political party.

Or Bunny from Eldorado's wife having a shindig one of the two.

Off to play rounders now.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Fissiparty - 11/06/02 04:30 PM
Fissiparty
An association of unlike minded people who are fissiparous. Like the British Conservative (Tory) party.

RhubarbCommando who doesn't like the Tories much

Posted By: boronia Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/06/02 04:56 PM
Interesting signature line noted on another discussion board: The only good Tory is a suppository.

Posted By: TEd Remington The only good Tory is a suppository - 11/06/02 05:38 PM
Innuendo. Nothing but innuendo!

Only place it works is in u end!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/07/02 09:35 AM
In reply to:

Maurice doesn't like the Tories very much.

Neither did we. Revolting, wasn't it?

Posted By: Maurice Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/07/02 11:24 AM
Completely. But then a pleasure to see such a foul party self-destruct.

A kamikaze party???

Imagine Thatcher handbagging herself! Ken Clarke kicking himself with his suede hushpuppies and Norman Tebbit crashing his bike deliberately which he's just got on to go and find a job.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: The only good Tory is a suppository - 11/07/02 03:54 PM
RC>> Only place it works is in u end!

Oh?

Posted By: Maurice Re: The only good Tory is a suppository - 11/07/02 03:59 PM
I think we should draw a discreet veil over this one in case there are any maiden aunt's online.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: The only good Tory is a suppository - 11/07/02 04:23 PM
>>Only place it works is in u end!
> Oh?

well, we obviousized that one into a neat little cylinder, eh teD?

Posted By: milum Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/07/02 07:28 PM
My my Maurice must you Brits be drug kicking and screaming into the 21st Century? We United Statesmen just gave our Tories a resounding new-world new-wave mandate to guide us through these troubled times to a future of hope and peace.

Here's a deal. You send us your Ken Clarke (Let freedom ring!) and we'll send you Bill Clinton (God Save the Queen!).

Posted By: Fiberbabe Innuendo - 11/07/02 09:44 PM
tsuwm>> well, we obviousized that one into a neat little cylinder, eh teD?

Hey - RC and I have an understanding. We feed each other straight lines. "Obvious" is neither here nor there. Right Rhuby?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Innuendo - 11/08/02 08:29 AM
Right on F'babe!

Straight lines from curved balls ooops!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/08/02 03:52 PM
we'll send you Bill Clinton

C'mon, Mr M, that's no swap. We've already got plenty of him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2294807.stm

Posted By: Jackie Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/09/02 03:16 AM
Well, Shona, that was an article that said a lot but didn't tell me what I wanted to know: why was Bill speaking in the UK, and--what on earth did he say that was so seductive? PM me maybe.

Posted By: dxb Re: Innuendo - 11/10/02 04:27 PM
While we are on the subject of “Tories”, and remembering that our main thrust is words, I have come across an interesting reference on the origins of the word. I haven’t had a chance to follow it up yet, but offer it in case anyone can shed more light here. I have just finished reading Pete McCarthy's new book "The Road to McCarthy". There is a section where he writes of Cromwell's vicious actions in Ireland in the mid 1600s (yes, the problems go back that far and further). Cromwell feared, to use McCarthy's words "...invasion from Ireland, which he perceived as a hotbed of support for the Royalist cause. The history of our islands echoes with such ironies and contradictions." As a result of his actions and Acts of Parliament "By 1654 three-quarters of the population had been moved to one-quarter of the land. Those who refused to go were subject to execution or transportation. Guerrilla fighters who took to the forests and mountains were known as Tories." I am now left wondering why they were known as Tories and whether the current usage of the name descends by some wandering route from those Irish Independents.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Innuendo - 11/10/02 04:46 PM
OED gives its derivation as probably from the Irish, toraighe meaning "pursuer"

Any advance on that?

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/11/02 01:36 PM
> this despicable political party

.... and your alternative, Maurice?

Posted By: jmh Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/12/02 07:02 AM
>Well, Shona, that was an article that said a lot but didn't tell me what I wanted to know: why was Bill speaking in the UK, and--what on earth did he say that was so seductive? PM me maybe.

Bill speaks in the UK all the time. He gets paid big money, I think around £100,000 a speech, although he might have spoken to the Labour Party as a freebie, he was probably dropping his little girl off in Oxford, en route, anyway.

He was called in to prove to the Labour faithful that their leader, despite appearances, had not got into bed with George Dubya but was playing a clever game to help save the world and he was the best man for the challenge.

According to Simon Hoggart:
"They adored his hatred of the Tories. "I want you to know - the 'compassion' is the rhetoric, the 'conservatism' is the reality." He flattered them. He flattered Tony Blair. He flattered them for loving Tony Blair, and they didn't even care that they don't."
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour2002/comment/0,12294,803475,00.html

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/12/02 08:53 AM
As the old story goes, "If the answer is a choice between Tony Blair, Ian Duncan-Smith or Charles Kennedy, then the question must be stupid."

Posted By: dxb Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/13/02 11:33 AM
QUOTATION: Every country has the government it deserves.
ATTRIBUTION: Joseph De Maistre (1753–1821), French diplomat, philosopher. letter, Aug. 15, 1811. Lettres et Opuscules Inedits, vol. 1, no. 53 (1851).

Thomas Carlyle, in Past and Present, bk. 4, ch. 4 (1843), wrote: “In the long-run every Government is the exact symbol of its People, with their wisdom and unwisdom; we have to say, Like People like Government.”
BIOGRAPHY: Columbia Encyclopedia.

No comment. dxb 2002.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/13/02 11:40 AM
I hate to think that you are right, dxb!

- - but I have a horrible, sinking feeling that you are

Posted By: dxb Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/13/02 11:56 AM
As an aside...for many years whenever I have visited Paris my hotel of choice has been located in the Rue Joseph de Maistre. It was only when I Googled that quotation that I discovered who he was! Amazing the unexpected places AWAD takes you.

Posted By: Maurice Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/13/02 03:37 PM
Do I detect a reference to the almost Orwellesque Thatcherite mantra "There is no alternative."

Demand the impossible.

Posted By: dxb Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/13/02 04:34 PM
No...it's more like "a plague on both your houses".

Demand of whom?

Posted By: Maurice Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/14/02 11:04 AM
Would concur with the plague suggestion however it may be a question of the lesser of the two evils.

The demand should be placed upon these we elect to represent us.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/15/02 09:14 AM
With our current bunch of clowns in Westminster, that includes just about any demand you care to make!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Tories In Turmoil - 11/16/02 10:05 PM
Nice thing about the Tories, though. Whenever they feel a bit depressed or sad at the thought of another nine years or so - at least - of being in opposition stretching mindlessly ahead of them, well, they can all just nip down to Knightsbridge for a bit of a whip-round. That should cheer them up! It's always worked in the past, hasn't it?

© Wordsmith.org