Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Anu's Book - 09/02/02 02:17 PM
Our wordsmith's book is due out October 11:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q54C32BA1

Posted By: tsuwm did Jackie write that blurb? - 09/02/02 02:25 PM
"A romp through more than 250 obscure, abstruse, wacky, and wonderful words from the founders of the world."

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: did Jackie write that blurb? - 09/02/02 05:03 PM
Cutting, tsuwm, cutting. Well, Jackie?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Anu's Book - 09/02/02 05:09 PM
Book it, Anu!

And congratulations to you and Stutti for your continued success with the Wordsmith site and, now, the rewards you are reaping from the gift you've given to all of us.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Founders - 09/02/02 05:17 PM
Garg:World::Gore:Internet

Posted By: Jackie Re: did Jackie write that blurb? - 09/02/02 06:15 PM
I most certainly did NOT! If I had, I'd have included all the words. Founders of the world, indeed. ('Sides, he didn't ask me!)

But, tsuwm--did you click on the picture of the cover? Don't you think those people look a lot like you and me?

Anna, THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!

Posted By: Jackie Guess what, guess what? - 09/05/02 11:22 AM
Anu has signed copies that he is willing to sell!!! <GRIN>
And, the book is now in softcover.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Guess what, guess what? - 09/05/02 03:29 PM
>the book is now in softcover.

before it's even come out?! this can't be a good sign..

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Guess what, guess what? - 09/05/02 03:50 PM
Well, trade paperbacks usually go for $15 or more these days...and are released closed to, or in conjunction with, the hard cover edition.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Guess what, guess what? - 09/05/02 04:49 PM
I've never seen a trade paperback released together with the hard cover version, but what do I know.

Jackie, where'd you get this info? From the Great Man Behind the Curtain his own sef?

Could be the online booksellers have the info wrong and it is and always was a trade. As Whitman said, that's the going price for such.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Guess what, guess what? - 09/05/02 05:53 PM
trade paperback

True, AnnaS...trade paperbacks are usually isssued as an interim release somewhere midway between hard cover and small paperback...but when projections are for a modest-seller, I've seen them released so close to the hard cover edition that it seemed almost simultaneous. They do, of course, try to milk the original hard cover sales for all they can get, first. Maybe, as you said, Anu's book is a first-release in trade paperback.

Now, more importantly, how do we get an autographed first-edition?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Guess what, guess what? - 09/05/02 08:03 PM
Here's what Anu wrote to me, Anna, when I asked whether he had any signed copies:
BTW, if you saw the book info on Amazon.com, it's old. The publisher is in process of having it updated on Amazon.com Web site. The cover has changed (it doesn't look so childish now) and the book is softcover, not hardcover.

(Between you and me, I think he's a little excited about it.)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Guess what, guess what? - 09/05/02 08:34 PM
(Between you and me, I think he's a little excited about it.)

Well, why wouldn't he be...if he sells just one book to each of his subscribers (500,000 ), at $17 apiece, out of which his cut is prolly 4 or 5 dollars (mebbe more)!...I'd be excited too!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: books - 09/05/02 10:27 PM
Thanks, Jackie, I figured as much... we'll order some for sale.

Posted By: Verbarian Re: books - 09/05/02 11:00 PM
Ooh! Just in time for my birthday!
I'm, like, SO getting that!
;)

Posted By: Jackie Re: books - 09/06/02 12:58 PM
Thanks, Jackie, I figured as much... we'll order some for sale.
Super-cool!

WO'N, I don't want to post anything else he wrote, because it is personal, but I will say that I don't think he's all that concerned about the money. I just read the article about him in Reader's Digest (it took me a while to get hold of a Feb. issue that had it), and he again was quoted as saying that his dream is that one day the world will replace guns with dictionaries. And who knows? If his book helps spread that word, maybe it'll come true!

Posted By: FishonaBike impressive books - 09/06/02 01:23 PM
one day the world will replace guns with dictionaries

Bagsy the OED (Second Edition), which runs to 20 weighty missiles, er, volumes. If they do a large-print version, that would be even more destructive, er, accessible.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: books - 09/06/02 03:20 PM
that I don't think he's all that concerned about the money

No, of course not! I'm sure he's thrilled his message and love of words, and his hope for its healing force, is gaining wider attention!

But I think the fact, that through all his hard work on this site, he's created his own extensive audience and market for his book is something relatively rare in the annuls of publishing. And the financial prospects sure can't hoit!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: books - 09/06/02 03:28 PM
correct me if.., but isn't this book mostly a repackage of what can be found here? if so, the market amongst the 500,000 or so subscribers would seem limited somewhat to those that want to actively <ahem> spread the words.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: books - 09/06/02 03:32 PM
On Monday I will pre-order some for the bookstore (no problem for us if the title doesn't sell; they can be returned) and let y'all know the contents as soon as I git my hot little hands on one.

~~~
[edit] I am not at all proud of the mixture of singular and plural above but.
Posted By: Faldage Re: books - 09/06/02 04:09 PM
the mixture of singular and plural above

Parm my beg to differmints, but.

On Monday I will pre-order some for the bookstore (no problem for us if the title doesn't sell; they can be returned) and let y'all know the contents as soon as I git my hot little hands on one.

I First person singular. This would be the writer of the post.

some Referring to the group of books under discussion. To be taken as plural.

us First person plural. Referring to the group of people who represent the bookstore in question.

title Singular. Representing the books as a group singular.

they Third person plural. Representing the individual members of the group of books formerly (and colloqually properly) referred to in the singular with the word title.

y'all Second person plural. Referring to the audience of the previous post.

I See first item.

one Singular. Correct assuming that only one copy of the book need be examined to ascertain the validity of the premise; that the book is merely a collection of material already seen by subscribers to AWAD.

What's not to be happy about?

Posted By: musick Re: books - 09/07/02 10:08 PM
F - Your an incurable, romantic kinda guy, ain'tcha?

Posted By: consuelo Re: books - 09/08/02 04:25 AM
*sigh*

Posted By: Wordsmith Re: books - 10/08/02 04:42 PM
Well, I stumbled into this thread today and I thought it would be a good idea
to give a behind-the-scenes tour of the book.

First of all, thanks for everyone who showed excitement for the book.
Writing a book is much like having a baby. The sign-up with the publisher
that starts the process is fun. Then all the hard work begins... it takes
a lot of time before you have something ready. You're proud to show it to
the world, and at the same time a bit apprehensive, wondering how it will
be received out there. Will it be good? Will people appreciate it?

Now let's get to the economics. As saner heads have been advising
artists, writers, and others who mostly work for labor of love, "Don't
leave your day-job yet." And I'm in no hurry to do that either. The
initial print run of the book is a modest 10,000 copies, not half-million.
The book is listed at $15 but with steep discounts that you can see in
online stores the actual selling point is much less and the author's
royalty would come to somewhere less than a dollar a piece. There are
better ways to get rich than writing a book for the same amount of time
and effort.

It was around two years between the time the editor at the publishing
house first approached me and the book's release. It was an intense effort.
By the time the final version of manuscript is submitted, you're so sick
of all the writing, rewriting, editing, revising, cutting that you just
don't want to even hear a word about it. Many months after that when
I wondered aloud about a sequel my then four-year-daughter Ananya howled
in protest, "Daddy, no more books!" That's how much she felt deprived of
me during all that time.

What does the book have? Yes, it's based on the AWAD, but much of it
is new. The themes have been revised, the definitions are fresh, usage
examples all come from my quirky mind, and it is sprinkled with the
anecdotes, stories, and tidbits from AWAD subscribers. And you don't
need to be in front of a computer screen to be able to read it.

I hope you'll be pleased with it.

Posted By: milum Re: books - 10/09/02 12:46 AM
Well Mr. Wordsmith, if your book is as direct and honest as your description of the writing of it is, then your book will be a smash. I will buy a copy tomorrow. But then, burdened by my burden of forever celebrating the absolute truth, I will review it here honestly for the less fortunate, and for better or worse, I will opine efficaciously and at great length about it on this rare forum; this remarkable vehicle of your inspired creation. Thank you for the opportunity.

Trust me

Posted By: Sparteye Re: books - 10/09/02 01:29 AM
Congratulations on the publication of your book. I'm sure all the AWAD fans are looking forward to it.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: book sales - 10/09/02 07:59 PM
I just realized I never got around to pre-ordering Anu's book. So I guess I'll be as surprised as everyone else when I get my hands on one. I'll make sure my employer, an independent bookstore (where it will be sold at full retail, Anu! ) displays it in a prominent place.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: book sales - 10/09/02 08:27 PM
I'll have y'all know that it's unavailable on amazon.com, where it had been available upon Jackie's initial revelation (and I wasn't cool enough to get one then!). SOLD OUT on Amazon! I'm impressed! When's the second printing?

Posted By: vika Re: books - 10/10/02 11:03 AM
Oh, my God! The Chief himself is there He, who created the Word(smith), has posted a note .

Posted By: wow Re: books - 10/14/02 01:23 PM
He, who created the Word(smith), has posted a note .

Ah yes. The Wordsmith does keep an eye on his devotees and comes - once in awhile - to dwell amongst us.
Oh, frabjous joy.
My book has been on order at our (full price) bookstore since the announcement was made - and I am in hopes of picking up my copy this week.
Congratulations, Anu and Stuti, on getting through all that work. Best wishes for great success. You deserve it. Expect to see you soon on Good Morning America!!!
Devotedly, wow
Your High Priestess

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Availability - 10/14/02 01:29 PM
It may be sold out on amazon.com, but I ordered it yesterday (finally) and when we checked, it was in stock at the Ingram distribution warehouses (one of the major wholesalers). So y'all, order away (preferably from you local independent bookstore).

Posted By: Jackie Re: books - 10/15/02 12:29 AM
SOLD OUT on Amazon!
Congratulations, Dear One. [shining-eyed admiration e]

Posted By: Jackie Re: Guess what, guess what? - 10/26/02 07:22 PM
I got my book today!!! Ohhhhhh...[swoon]

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Guess what, guess what? - 10/26/02 08:49 PM
I got mine, too, but I haven't composed a review yet.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Guess what, guess what? - 10/27/02 12:15 AM
Review, schmeview. Mine's signed!!! What I've looked at looks good, though.

Posted By: Tomghaji Re: Guess what, guess what? - 10/29/02 04:08 AM
Anu has signed copies that he is willing to sell!!!

Oh,God!
I'd like to have one copy! But it's impossible. No $ but . Not in USA but in PRC.:-( No amazon.com but Xinhua Bookstore.

Tomghaji
From
The T'ang Dynasty, China
:)
Posted By: vika Re: Guess what, guess what? - 10/29/02 10:07 AM
wellcome on board, Tomghaji

you are exactly what this board needs - a native speaker of Chinese (questions about Chinese pop up sometimes) and even better - you know ancient Chinese literature. Do stay with us!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Anu's Book - 10/29/02 11:47 AM
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 1

Go Anu!

Posted By: Jackie Getting into it - 10/29/02 01:13 PM
Rank #1? YAYYYYYY!
It IS good! He has lots of quotes from people--nobody from here, though, unless it was someone who has stayed well in disguise. Probably they're folks who wrote in to W.A.D.
He starts off with a brief, cute conversation with that sweet baby (yes, a 5-year-old is still a baby! My almost-18 and -17-year olds are still my babies). And...he just...the joy of words just shines through; it is a happy book. Very uplifting!

Posted By: milum Re: Getting into it - 11/03/02 04:32 PM
A WORD A DAY a romp through some of the most unusual and intriguing words in english
__________________________ - Anu Garg with Stuti Garg

What an unhappy surprise! Anu and Stuti didn't give the recreant bookreviewer in me much to work with. The book is wonderfully done. Entertaining. Clearly and cleanly written. Excellent in appearance, lay-out, and presentation. A turn to any page will bring fresh information that will tickle the minds of even the most jaded reader such as me. Damn.

I bet you won't find this book left on a park bench in kindness for others to read. Anu's book is a keeper. Poor park bums will have to go get their own book. This book is a delight.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Getting into it - 11/03/02 10:17 PM
Hey, milum, you want to post that in the review section on Amazon? It's really good.

© Wordsmith.org