Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh All alone - 06/22/02 12:37 PM
All alone by the telephone.....a song so old I can find no site giving lyrics.
The flame war plus Wordappaloosa have left bled the board dry. Not a
single new post this morning. If there are any lurkers, now is a good
time for them to take courage and post something. Anything at all.
YARTS if you can manage nothing better.

Posted By: Geoff Re: All alone - 06/22/02 01:38 PM
Hi, Bill!

I'm just posting here to let you know you're not totally alone. If the nasty posts resume, I'll go back to merely lurking again.

Posted By: milum Re: All alone - 06/22/02 01:59 PM
All alone by the telephone.....a song so old I can find no site giving lyrics -wwh,

wwh, by chance was it either of these songs to which you refer?

Here by the phone I wait for your call
'cause you're the one I love most of all.

I WAIT FOR YOUR CALL - Tommy Charles 1958 1/2.

Alone by the phone I can tell
You don't remember when I rang your bell.

RINGING BELLE'S BELL - Milo and the Mindbenders 1959

Posted By: wwh Re: All alone - 06/22/02 02:05 PM
Dear Milum I'm so glad to have some company, I can''t remember
what I was fussing about. Remember the old days when so many
gossips used to listen in on party lines to other people's calls?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: All alone - 06/22/02 02:35 PM
Got'cha covered, Dr. Bill! Gossips? Party lines? Somebody call me?

Posted By: Geoff Re: All alone - 06/22/02 02:48 PM
Remember the old days when so many
gossips used to listen in on party lines to other people's calls?

There's a Langston Hughes poem that touches on this subject. Harlem? Same in Blues? Can't remember. You guys know it?

Posted By: milum Re: All alone - 06/22/02 03:16 PM
Yeah, Guys, you gotta admit that listening in on a party line was a temptation greater than a juicy red apple for the female back then, but even today I've yet to see a red-blooded american male take the tiniest bite of the devil 's apple of eavesdrop and gossip, except maybe Whitman O'neill on one of his lessor days.

But better, I can remember hearing telephone stories back then about my grandmother Grider. The Griders were the only ones in the neighborhood who had a telephone. Grandmother had granddaddy build a little shelf on the house outside their bedroom window. The telephone was kept there in case the neighbors wanted to use the phone.

Where guys, do you keep your phone?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: All alone - 06/22/02 03:28 PM
Well, akshually®, milum, the last time I remember having a party line was when I was about 8 years old. And I'd pick up the phone to make a call and wonder where all these voices were coming from...then when I caught on, I'll admit there was a time or two I'd pick up the phone just to see if any folks were talkin' and listen-in for a littlewhile...just a child's curiosity [ahem]. 'Course, oncet I turned 9 I gave it up, 'cause I was a 'big boy now.' (and then we moved, and never had party-line again...too bad, too...would've been good for hearin' what the high school girls were sayin' about ya! [sigh])

Posted By: wwh Re: All alone - 06/22/02 03:31 PM
Speaking of gossip, remember when the gossips started using cordless phones over twenty years ago?
A lot of radio amateurs got plenty laughs hearing some of them discussing their sex life on the phone.
Funnier even than the email about "cum being yum".

Posted By: Geoff Re: All alone - 06/22/02 04:00 PM
Dr. Bill wrote:The flame war plus Wordappaloosa have left bled the board dry

Word Appaloosa? Is that where they horse around with words?

Posted By: wwh Re: All alone - 06/22/02 04:42 PM
Dear Geoff: I don't know much about horses, but had them for my girls. And I
was very grateful to learn that they have a sense of humor. The first time I
encountered this was when my uncle let me take the reins when he was
plowing a field. The instant I took ahold of the reins, the horses knew I was
a beginner, and they started misbehaving. And going into the wind, they both
passed flatus, and then turned around and gave me horselaughs.
A pinto I got for my daughters got loose, and when I went to try to grab
her halter, turned on a dime, and kicked me on the sternum with both hind
feet. If she had wanted to hurt me, I could have been killed. But she was
just making fun of me, she just barely touched me.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: All alone - 06/22/02 04:50 PM
LOL!!! Dr. Bill! But is that really where the term horse laugh came from?

Posted By: slithy toves Re: All alone - 06/22/02 05:38 PM
Here you go, Dr. Bill--one of Irving Berlin's finest.

All alone, I'm so all alone
There is no one else but you
All alone by the telephone
Waiting for a ring, a ting-a-ling
I'm all alone every evening
All alone, feeling blue
Wond'ring where you are and how you are
And if you are all alone too

Nice, but not the thing to cheer you up. Try this for balance:

Happy talk, keep talking happy talk
Talk about things you like to do
You got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream
How you gonna have a dream come true?
Talk about the moon floating in the sky
Looking at a lily on the lake
Talk about a bird learning how to fly
Making all the music he can make!
How you come not have a dream come true?
Talk about the sparrow looking like a toy
Picking through the broaches of a tree
Talk about the girl, talk about the boy
Counting all the ripples on the sea
Talk about the boy saying to the girl
Golly, baby, I'm a lucky cuss
Talk about the girl saying to the boy
You an' me is lucky to be us
If you don't talk happy, and you never have dream
Then you'll never have a dream come true!

Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 06/22/02 07:28 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: All alone - 06/22/02 07:40 PM
I don't know Sparteye's reasons for choosing the name, and I'm not even sure I'm
spelling it her way. But in the pulp magazine cowboy stories, there were brags
about the Indian ponies by that name, which were noted for their endurance.
and so prized as cowboys' saddle horses. The ones I have seen had large white
and black areas in their coats.

Posted By: marylynncorder Re: All alone - 06/23/02 03:40 AM
It's Saturday night!
"Saturday night is the lonliest night of the week..."
Hey I thought I'd be the only woman here and I'd get some much desired attention, but ah shucks ewein's here too. But for me that's great because I enjoy her company and her humanity.
After my hot date with Borders, time to go read a book, then off to S.F. en la manana, and then the unknown midwest following Lewis and Clark's trail.
Hot cha cha.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: All alone - 06/23/02 11:17 AM
My initial thought on the term 'Wordappaloosa' was from the 'Lollapalloza' (sp?) music festival that was initiated in the 90's featuring several 'alternative' bands in the all-day kind of setting.

http://trident.mcs.kent.edu/~cstone/lolla/lol91.html

Posted By: wwh Re: All alone - 06/23/02 12:13 PM
I'd forgotten "Lollapaloosa" but I think it is derived from "Appaloosa".

Posted By: milum Re: All alone - 06/23/02 01:16 PM
Yeah gang, its a slow night a the Dry Gulch saloon, we seem to be quibbling about the name of the party that we were unable to attend. Maybe we would all have attended if they had named it after something we could remember, I for one think it was named the Word-be-bop-a-loo-la, and the password was "she's my Baby". That's a joke. Yes, I know it's silly, but like I said, it's a slow night at the Dry Gulch Saloon.

PS: Hey chem, do I remember you saying you lived in Wetumpka? Yesterday my pal Andy and me went to Wegufga, Alabama, about thirty miles from Wetumpka. Three things of interest...

(1) Wegufga is a Creekian word for "muddy water". A muddy creek sill flows though the town.
(2) After the Creeks were removed to Oklahoma, forty families of Cherokees were led by a half-breed named John Rice to Wegufga to escape their own removal to Oklahoma from Tennessee.
(3) The only store still extant in Wegufga is a coke and gun store run by a young man whose mother was a full-blooded cherokee. He showed me her picture. She was very pretty. As a young girl she had lived in Birmingham for a short time in the mid-fifties. She was the first girl I ever kissed. Unbelievable!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: All alone - 06/23/02 01:21 PM
a coke and gun store

I din't know coke was legal in 'bama!

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: All alone - 06/23/02 02:41 PM
W'on, here's something you'll find amusing concerning the sale of coke in Alabama.

I took a new engineer to lunch in the big city of Selma a few months ago and along the way she spotted a sign that said "We Buy, Sale and Crack Pecans". Yes, 'Sale'. Anyway, she obvious skimmed over it quickly because she blurted out - "They advertise selling crack in Selma???" This is funnier knowing what a run down, drug-infested city Selma has become. I about had to pull over from laughing. I explained to her the sign (which is really quite a common sign in central Al) and all was well. She, by the way, was from Wisc by way of Erie, PA - places where I don't believe the cracking or 'saleing' of pecans is prevalent.

Milum - I live in Prattville, a city across I-65 from Wetumka. What were you doing in such a place?

Posted By: milum Re: All alone - 06/23/02 02:43 PM
a coke and gun store?
-WO'N

No Whit-o, the only thing we sniff in Alabama is snuff. I'm talking about the Real Thing, Georgia's gift to the world that taught the world to sing, the stuff you mix with your bourbon when the creek runs muddy - Coca Cola. We of the southern south once called all soft drinks "dope". Now we call all soft drinks "coke". We just can't seem to use that somewhat prissy yankee expression "soft drink", maybe in the next generation, after all we already say - "Hard Liquor"

No Whit-o, our coke in Alabama is as legal as the fine array of assault weapons that decorate the walls of the store in Wegufga.

Post addition: Chem, Andy was being nice and delivering a new stove to a widow woman schoolteacher whose stove went out and GE's servive to Wegufga is nonexistent. I went with him because I like to ride and drink and talk to people about the geology and history of rural Alabama. For example did you know that a highly eroded half mile meteor impact crater is can be discerned in Wetumpka. Once the impact was dated at 80,000,000 years before the present but recent studies have suggested that it was a detached piece of the meteor that killed the dinosaurs.
Posted By: Geoff Re: All alone - 06/23/02 02:46 PM

Shoot, fire, man, it was invented in Georgia, an' it rubs up 'gainst Milo's home state on the one side, and mine on t'other.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: All alone - 06/23/02 03:39 PM
The local fishwrap recently ran an article talking about how the business folks in Wee-tum-ka want to develop the area into a full blown tourist attractions with cable cars and the like. They're convinced that people will travel the country. It kills me that this is hot while the county can't seem to get enough revenue to keep sports/arts in the schools. Though I love politics, politicians/school board types in central Alabama are twisted to the point where I hardly pay attention anymore.

Posted By: milum Re: All alone - 06/23/02 03:41 PM
Good Grief Geoff! The Washington's came to Alabama from South Carolina.
Good Golly Geoff, we could be cousins.
Good Great Luck Geoff, if we are...can you loan me five dollars?

Thank you,
Cousin Milo

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: All alone - 06/23/02 03:42 PM
We just can't seem to use that somewhat prissy yankee expression "soft drink"

My aforementioned new engineer still says 'pop'. I was brought into the 'coke' speech not long after moving from Illinois.

As for prissy, I think that's a little harsh. Yankees just fashion themselves as being more 'enlightened' than us rednecks. They, like some on this board, feel as though the number of syllables one uses to describe something is a direct representation of their smarts. They thinks theys better than us!!

Posted By: wwh Re: All alone - 06/23/02 04:02 PM
Dear Milum: Not everybody in New England confined themselves to hard cider. Rember Shay's Rebellion in about 1781, and the Whiskey Rebellion in Western Pennsyvanaia about ten years later?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: All alone - 06/23/02 04:26 PM
Shoot, fire, man, it was invented in Georgia

Absolutely, Geoff!...and it was none other than the "Georgia Peach" himself, baseball great Ty Cobb, who made himself rich after his playin' days with his early investments in Coca-Cola stock! And, BTW, the early Coke recipe did contain a smidgeon of cocaine in it, YCLIU...they made 'em take it out somewhere around the turn of the 20th Century. So you see, "soft drinks" with that jolt of caffeine, sugar rush, and once-upon-a-time cocaine aren't so soft after all!

Posted By: milum Re: All alone - 06/23/02 04:50 PM
Rember Shay's Rebellion in about 1781, and the Whiskey Rebellion in Western Pennsyvanaia about ten years later?

Yesido Bill, That was back in the the days when all the people up north were southerners. Those were the good ole days, back before the yankees came over from...?
...Hey Andy what country did the yankees up north come from?
(Andy sez that yankees can from Finland).

Now take Chem for example, still a bit correct-spelling and upitty, but she's raising some good ole southern youn'uns and learning about proper behavior amongst menfolk. Give her a couple more years and she'll be one of the fairest flowers off the magnolia bush. Mark my word!

Posted By: Geoff Re: All alone - 06/23/02 07:23 PM
.can you loan me five dollars?

Hey, cuz,

I got ten you can borrow, but you gotta go to the Bank of Hamburg, SC to cash it fer Yankee green, because that's where it was printed. Yep, I still got a genuine Confederate ten-spot. I wonder if it's actually worth anything?

Posted By: wwh Re: All alone - 06/23/02 07:36 PM
Dear Geoff: If you have a Confederate sawbuck, I'll bet you could get a portrait of Alexander Hamilton
for it. The South will rise again.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: All alone - 06/23/02 08:14 PM
The South will rise again.

The South did rise again...LBJ, Jimmy Carter, George Bush, Sr. (Tex.?), Jesse Helms, Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush...need I say more?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt The South (?) will rise again - 06/24/02 02:44 AM
WON, I'm only a part-Yankee, but I don't consider anything west of the Mississippi river to be part of the South, so that leaves out Bushes, Clintons, Grams, and other assorted riffraff. They may consider themselves Southerners, but that doesn't make them Southerners.

Do you 'Bamians and other real Southerners agree with this?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: The South (?) will rise again - 06/24/02 03:01 AM
but I don't consider anything west of the Mississippi river to be part of the
South.

Interesting assertion, BobY...'course, uh, the Texans who fought through Devil's Den and charged up Little Round Top at Gettysburg might take some dispute with that.

Don't mess with Texas!

(and does that include the western half of Louisiana?)

Posted By: wow Re: yankees - 06/25/02 06:31 PM
Yankees just fashion themselves as being more 'enlightened' than us rednecks. They, like some on this board, feel as though the number of syllables one uses to describe something is a direct representation of their smarts. They thinks theys better than us!!

O, gee whiz, Chem ... I sure do hope you are joking. I am a damyankee but, Some of my name-relatives settled in 'Bama and some in Maryland.
Years ago, in my youth we called soft drinks "tonic" until we learned better from you southern gentelmen who were in the services and stationed up North in WWII.
Now you mostly hear soda or soda-pop otherwise it's by the name Coke for Coca-Cola Orange, Slice, Root Beer (or sometimes just Hires the best root beer brand) etc etc.

To me the real American spirit is *not "You are equal to me."
Rather it is "I am equal to you."

Deep huh?
aloha

Posted By: of troy Re: yankees - 06/25/02 09:06 PM
seconding WOW here! I am just first generation American, and I was born in NYC, and like any home town gal, i do think i live the best place on earth! but i love traving in america, I liked Georgia, (but disliked Atlanta... of course it didn't hold a candle to NY,) but Georgia, out side of the Atlanta, Stone Mountain, the countryside, the kudzu, it was beautiful.. same in Texas.. hated Dallas, but took a day trip wandering the country side.. Even the weeds by the side of the road caught my eye-- such different weeds than the North East... and so pretty!

I liked Seattle, and SF, but for the most part, what i have like best is the country side. this is such a beautiful country--(right now, for me, Wyoming -- takes the prize for being the most beautful.. breathtakingly so!)

but my kids liked alabama, (i have never been there) my daughter brought home a bag of the red clay soil to show me... she thought it was so pretty.. as she said, even the dirt is dressed up in colored clothes!

Now i will admit, because the north east is a major media center, our dialect is one that makes it into the news and movies, and television.. As much as i love NY, I don't think any less of other parts of the this country..
(as for other countries.. well, Cork, is actually nicer than dublin, (but i shouldn't say that publicly, since my parents family has a 500 year histroy in dublin, and london is beautiful, Rome is so much like NY is so many ways (yes, i know that have 2000 year old ruins, but really, its just like NY only every speaks italian..)Paris is, Paris.
and i started this, i realize i like europian cities, but US countryside!

and while in some part of the US, you call all soda coke, and in other parts its pop, and still other places tonic will still work, our language difference are not divisive!

Posted By: dodyskin Re: yankees - 06/25/02 09:17 PM
really interesting to hear you yanks ( sorry dont know the distinctions) talking about your north south divide, pretty different to what i think of when i hear that phrase. in manchester we just call all soft drinks pop, and water is corporation pop, because you get it off the council. just throwing in my 'two cents' for what its worth.

Posted By: Keiva Re: The South (?) will rise again - 06/26/02 02:49 AM
byb: but I don't consider anything west of the Mississippi river to be part of the South.... Do you 'Bamians and other real Southerners agree with this? WO'N: the Texans who fought through Devil's Den and charged up Little Round Top at Gettysburg might take some dispute with that.

Very interesting. I'd have taken your view, byb -- but upon trying to confirm your view with a LIU, I found that Texas was part of the Confederacy (the "South") during our Civil War -- which I'd not recalled.

map at http://www.collectorsnet.com/cwtimes/states.htm

Posted By: of troy Re: The South (?) will rise again - 06/26/02 02:59 AM
Thanks, i was wondering when you'd next use Trick 1- a kind of switch and bait

why a casual reader might think you were having a conversation with BobYoungBalt or Whitman... but we know better don't we? neither one of them would give you the time of day.. but some casual readers, may not realize that.. so Out comes Trick 1, quote others extensively, to imply agreement-- and friendship.
wrong!
that fact is, we are on to your tricks.. you must realize, we know the games you play, and we are tired of them. we are tired of you.
you were banned, and forced your way back in.
Go away Keiva. You are not wanted here

Posted By: wwh Re: The South (?) will rise again - 06/26/02 01:33 PM
Keiva: you are not welcome in AWADtalk.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: The South (?) will rise again - 06/26/02 07:46 PM
Keiva, please leave us alone...we only want the beloved refuge we all first found when we came to this board.

© Wordsmith.org