Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy Shun - 05/25/02 01:35 AM
SHUN- from Old English,scunian, to keep away from, avoid scrupulously or consistantly.

i personaly shun disruptions on the board. i will not reply to directly to disruptive posts. i invite others to do the same.

to respond to a thread, that is started with the purpose and intent to start a flame war, it to start a flame war.

these threads will be deleted by the administator, once it is clear they are intended start a flame war. i will not waste my time posting there. i will not acknowledge the insult. i will not stoop to responding, or even acknowledgeing by name the offending party. such a party is not worthy of even being acknowledged as a person.
The post is offensive. such threads are not worth my consideration. I shun such threads. i invite you to do the same.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/25/02 01:47 AM
Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Shun - 05/25/02 03:32 AM
Add me to this list. This was my strategy in a couple of the disturbances we have had to endure. If most of us followed this, the disrupters would soon tire of talking to themselves.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Shun - 05/25/02 03:38 AM
Goes without saying.
That one can (and would) intentionally, and disingenuously, cripple what was once a lovely group dynamic and, in the process, individually hurt so many, is an egregious affront that I've seen nowhere else.
All attempts at reasoning have failed. So I too will turn my back on the pariah.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Shun - 05/25/02 11:44 AM
Add me to the list too. I've been avoiding making any comments on any of the "flame" threads for a long time. Maybe I just like avoiding controversy, I don't know, but my credo has been "Ignore it and maybe it will go away." Hasn't worked so far, but I suppose it's better than getting embroiled in the endless arguments.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Shine on - 05/25/02 01:46 PM
Ah, Helen. The burning torch of wisdom you carry shines a bright light on the beauty human reason holds over emotive instinct. [beaming]

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Shine on - 05/25/02 03:13 PM
As with Byb, I have followed this policy for a long while - I heartily endorse of troy's words of wisdom. My name is also on the list.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Meidung (Amish shunning) - 05/25/02 04:07 PM
The main point of contention between the Amish and the Anabaptists involved the exercise of Meidung, which translates as to shun or excommunicate. The Anabaptist faith maintains that only the pure should be involved in religion; if any member were to fall into sinful action, he should be excommunicated and shunned. The latter custom is based on the discipline of fellow believers as described in Matthew 18:15-17:

Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and tell him alone...But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more...And if he shall neglect to hear them, then tell it onto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican.

A non-conforming member would be ostracized; the community of believers would terminate all contact with him. Amman took this practice one step further and required the spouse of a person under the ban to neither sleep nor eat with them, until the heretic repented and changed his behavior or beliefs. Additionally, he advocated shunning all members that leave the Amish church and those who marry outsiders. He also mandated that no Amish should buy from, sell to, or even eat at the same table as the excommunicated individual. These traditions, passed down from generation to generation, have kept the Amish way of life stable.

from The "Plain Folk": The Amish and Mennonites

http://www.amishinfo.com/amish/amishinfo.html#meidung

Posted By: tsuwm before the shunning - 05/25/02 04:51 PM
in this time before the shunning
let us reflect on those who've left
perhaps they'll look again one day
it's for them, for them we do this....

---

today's crusade.. shades of meaning

escape, avoid, evade, elude, shun, eschew mean to get away or keep away from something. escape stresses the fact of getting away or being passed by not necessarily through effort or by conscious intent <nothing escapes her sharp eyes>. avoid stresses forethought and caution in keeping clear of danger or difficulty <try to avoid past errors>. evade implies adroitness, ingenuity, or lack of scruple in escaping or avoiding <evaded the question by changing the subject>. elude implies a slippery or baffling quality in the person or thing that escapes <what she sees in him eludes me>. shun often implies an avoiding as a matter of habitual practice or policy and may imply repugnance or abhorrence <you have shunned your responsibilities>. eschew implies an avoiding or abstaining from as unwise or distasteful <a playwright who eschews melodrama>.

(C) 1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

()
Posted By: hev Re: Shine on - 05/26/02 09:53 PM
My name is also on the list.

Well, if there's a list, add my name to it. I can't believe this is all happening again. I'm saddened. Of troy's idea is what I've been trying to do anyway.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/30/02 09:57 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Anu Garg's treachery - 05/30/02 10:14 PM
Dear Max: I very much deplore your strong language regarding Wordsmith.Bad mouthing him won't help us a bit. We don't know what Keiva was able to present as a defense. Perhaps he was able to use some form of legal intimidation. And there is still room for hope that when Jackie gets back, she may be able to act again, without being over-ruled.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/30/02 10:19 PM
Posted By: Hyla Re: Anu Garg's treachery - 05/30/02 10:22 PM
I stand by every carefully chosen word in my post.

And I wish you weren't so right, but you are. I do hope that, as the tale unfolds, we learn that things aren't quite as bad as they seem. Right now they seem pretty bad.

Posted By: wwh Re: Anu Garg's treachery - 05/30/02 10:25 PM
DEar Max: I seriously question your judgement in choice of words. We are here as guests of Wordsmith's and not entitled to question, or criticize in offensive terms his decidions, the bases of which we cannot know. Your remarks are intemperate, and in very bad taste. Let us not have a flame war about this.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/30/02 10:33 PM
This certainly is grim; hate threatens to eclipse all else. It was always destined to end as such I suppose, like some ethereal dream, a Bach fugue, a divine stroll at dusk. All things race to an end sooner than one might like. And so I guess the sun beds down over this haven. This wayward child, nutured so arduously, has been accosted, solicited for petty and pathetic gain. This woe will only strengthen my resolve though. The hateful toil has given us a common and discernable enemy, know him well. But join now, unanimously in smothering the voice of destruction with melodious song of love. Can you hear that tune? It's like a big middle finger with a careless smile behind it looking beyond the now to new shores, and the promise of the infinite.

your dilated pupil

Excuse me, do I understand that some of you are operating under the illusion that this board is some kind of free speech democracy? If so, you are wrong. We are here under the whim of the creator of this board - anu - it is his board and we are his guests. Did some of you think otherwise? I think that by the nature of this setup that it was hoped that grown men and women by way of their intellect and wit, would find a way to police the disruptive amongst them.
Apparently not, some of you act and seem afraid that one monkey, keiva, single-handedly, can somehow stop the whole awad show. Did some of you skip Sunday School the day they read that part about loving your enemies?
I don't and I didn't.

Self-righteously yours,
Milo Washington.

the whim of the creator of this board

And if the whim of the creator of this board is to be the victim of the threat of a frivolous but expensive and time-consuming lawsuit?

Yes, i am a guest.. and as such, i am free to leave.

i might be directed to love my enemies, but no where does it say i have to go out of my way to associate with them.

i don't want to be threatened.. i feel i will be, sooner or later. so i don't want to be here.

Posted By: satin post deleted satin - 05/31/02 02:24 PM

There are times, after all, when the appropriate reply is something
along the lines of, "You are being petty and unreasonable, and if you
don't stop whining very soon, you're going to get a size ten flight
boot straight up the keister. Now shaddup and get back in your hole
before we turn the water cannons on you."

The Lone Haranguer
It is a shame that he has this much power over such a great group of friends. Enough to disband the group. I hate that the wisdom he has
achieved has been abused to this end. I will miss the way this place was and the interaction between friends before he came here. God Bless
You.

He has no power. He's a contemptible little man with no friends and no life. Laugh at the little man. He never has anything to say and spurts posts like a scratched record endlessly repeating himself. How boring can you get? If I were as drab as that sad man I'd end it all. Pathetic waste of space that he is.

© Wordsmith.org