Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill What's with the EDIT function? - 03/28/02 08:48 PM
Several times this week my edit copy has been deleted when I back-buttoned to it in the reply or new-post mode. So I had to continue my post, and edit out the mistakes (or edit in urls) while people were reading it. This has never happened to me here before. Anybody else having this problem?

And while were at it, I'm encountering a lot of strange glitches here using Internet Explorer lately...but on Netscape everything is fine. I'm experiencing this Edit glitch on Explorer right now. Could it be the browser rather than the server?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: What's with the EDIT function? - 03/28/02 09:09 PM
>Could it be the browser rather than the server?

maybe... but it's more likely to be a function of what's going on with your cache. I see this more often on a busier system.

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/28/02 09:09 PM
Posted By: consuelo Looney Tunes Wisdom - 03/29/02 09:44 PM
In the immortal words of the Dark Alien from Duck Rogers in the 21st Century:

(As the Dark Alien is trying futilely to program the destruction of Earth)
"Drat these computers! They are so naughty and complex. I shall have to pinch them."

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: What's with the EDIT function? - 03/29/02 11:18 PM
but it's more likely to be a function of what's going on with your cache

Could clearing the cache more often help to avoid this, tsuwm?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc What's with the cache? - 03/30/02 08:39 PM
And come to think of it, just how _does_ one clear the cache on IE ? I can find that function without much difficulty on Netscape Navigator but haven't been able to locate it on IE Explorer.

Posted By: Jackie Re: What's with the cache? - 03/30/02 10:02 PM
how _does_ one clear the cache on IE
Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; Disk Cleanup.

Check with an expert before believing, though--tsuwm knows for sure.

Posted By: hev Re: What's with the cache? - 04/04/02 03:05 AM
how _does_ one clear the cache on IE

Apologies if I'm way too late on this one, but I figured this post needed to move up the chain a little.

In IE (I'm on 5.5 but should be the same/similar for most) go to Tools\Internet Options. On the first tab "General" about half way down the dialogue box is a section called Temporary Internet Files. You can delete files there. It's clunky though - a kind of "all or nothing" approach. You can't really select which files to delete, although you do have an option to leave "offline" files alone.

HTH (albeit way too late)

Hev