Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Rubrick A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 05:10 PM
Congrats to the Kiwi cricketers on their five-wicket defeat of England. They now win the one-day series 3-2.

Proving that that win against Oz was no fluke!!!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 05:16 PM
On behalf of my fellow 3.8 million Kiwis, thanks for the congrats, Rubrick. But we shouldn't have lost the Auckland match. For some reason we just can't perform consistently. We have, as I like to repeatedly say, an uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I have to admit, though, that the last match was a beauty, wasn't it?

Posted By: duncan large Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 07:37 PM
er..............no!

the Duncster
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/27/02 07:45 PM
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 09:59 PM
er..............no!

Yes, well, I guess it does rather depend on your perspective, Dunc!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 10:02 PM
True, and their inability to beat the Proteas is rather a boer.

Yah, but their not-boering fast bowler has just retired. What a shame! He will be so missed in Australasia, won't he?

Posted By: hev Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 11:01 PM
Proving that that win against Oz was no fluke!!!

Which win, Rubrick? There were several one day wins, as I (ashamedly) recall... but if we're talking tests, only the weather beat Australia then.

President of the Steve-Waugh-should-not-have-been-dumped Association
Hev

PS. If we're talking forces to be reckoned with, how about that record breaking Oz v SA test match! Yee hah!!
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/27/02 11:08 PM
Posted By: hev Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 11:17 PM
That's true of the first two,

Isn't that all we needed?

Maybe we should take this elsewhere

Right, outside NOW, I'll take ya [fists up] ...

Hev
Posted By: duncan large Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/27/02 11:54 PM
Gilchrist is the player that makes all the difference, Oz were already brilliant but he just puts them in a different league, the side is so beautifully balanced. RIGHT thats the last time im gonna praise those bludgers

the Duncster
Posted By: hev Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 12:49 AM
Gilchrist is the player that makes all the difference, Oz were already brilliant but he just puts them in a different league, the side is so beautifully balanced. RIGHT thats the last time im gonna praise those bludgers

O-h-h-h-h [whinge-e] ... must you stop? I was really enjoying not being the only one praising up the Oz team! where's stales, doc et al?

I agree with you that Gilchrist has had a major impact, but Matthew Hayden is also a major contributing factor. He's really stabilised the top after the Michael Slater problems. Poor Slats, back in club cricket, and doing badly at that... Hayden's series of tons has certainly given players like Adam Gilchrist a pressure release!

Hev
Posted By: stales Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 12:57 AM
The stales family (and just about every other Western Australian family) simply adore Adam Gilchrist.

I had the good fortune to meet him at a testimonial lunch for another WA legend, Tom Moody. Whilst he was signing various bits of paraphenalia for me I said, "I named my youngest son after you". He gave me a long hard look which I read as, "You sad bastard!" To be frank my Adam was not named after him - and I told Gilly so - I just wanted to grab his attention and didn't want him to think of me as just another fawning autograph hunter. Don't think I succeeded!

It's great being a cricket fan in Perth. We live about 4 km from the WACA ground and, because interstate matches are so poorly supported, they let kids in for free and have truckloads of things for them to do. Free parking also - though we should really walk to the ground! Radar speed guns for the kids' bowling, special certificates, autographed posters and plenty of other giveaways. There's always an impromptu kids' "test" match going on on the other side of the boundary fence. It's great - leaves me and my wife to enjoy the delights of the bar for hours at a time! Or just catch a few rays while we listen to the ABC radio commentary on our earphones.

Footy is a similar story. They open the gates at half time so you get to see the second half for nix. This means that we still get to see well over an hours play. Our team (The mighty Fremantle Dockers) always gets a flogging so we console ourselves in the fact that at least we didn't have to pay for it! On the few occassions they do win we walk away happy that we've got a bargain.

stales

PS - anybody want to give me a price on a genuine Aussie one day series cap - worn and signed by Shane Warne.......complete with his sweat stains! Or maybe a bat signed by the back to back victorious WA Sheffield Shield team?

BTW Nameles and faceless people from WA are working behind the scenes to ensure that the fact Gilly was born in NSW is erased from the public record. The history books will show that he was the sandgropers' favourite son! Same with Damien Martyn - the Northern Territory - nah, not possible!
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/28/02 01:06 AM
Posted By: hev Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 03:41 AM
BTW Nameles and faceless people from WA are working behind the scenes to ensure that the fact Gilly was born in NSW is erased from the public record.

Aaah, stales your naivete astounds me... Do you not realise that our Gilly comes from my home town, and you can never erase that kind of information from the memories of 1000 townspeople, who will pass it on to every generation to come?? He may have moved to the dark side but he originated here with me ... er, I mean us. And if you were a NSW selector, you'd be kickin' yourself that you ever let him go! I'd like to kick a few selectors...

Hev
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 09:06 AM
> Slandering the good name of footy.

Oh, that's rich Max - 'the good name of football'. The names invariably linked with drugs and trouble like 'Maradonna' and 'Gaza' - Or perhaps phrases like 'the Hand of God' or 'hooligans riot again'. Oh yes, we wouldn't want to sully that sort of name.

BTW, I'll give credit where it's due - the NZers criketers have a really good side at the moment - can they make it last though?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/28/02 09:23 AM
Posted By: stales Re: Rewriting History - 02/28/02 12:02 PM
Ahhh Hev - my naievete.....hehehehe. Just shows how effective our infiltration has been.

I'm sorry, but you've forced me to reveal those faceless, nameless men....You may have heard of George Negus and David Helfgott? Hmmmm?

Agents of the west - both of them. Our best. They've surruptitiously inserted themselves into the local culture and are now welcomed throughout the town. During one market day soon (the 3rd Saturday of each month), they will lure all 2,690 locals into Jarrett Park with the promise of a little piano recital - televised live nationally.

Part way through the concert they slowly withdraw small, flashlight like objects from their pocket. Smiling at the assembled multitude, they don their wrap around black sunglasses......

But wait!!

It seems that one who knows has fled to the capital and is stationed by day in a tall building.

Now let me see,

whitepages.com.au .....AMP......AMP......ahhh, here it is!

Let me just get my wrap around dark glasses and check the Qantas schedule from Perth......

stales

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 06:51 PM
I'll plead to meaning the XV-a-side game

[tetch] For goodness sake, Max, if you mean Rugger, why the [bleep]h***[/bleep] can't you say so?[/tetch]

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 06:55 PM
[tetch] For goodness sake, Max, if you mean Rugger, why the [bleep]h***[/bleep] can't you say so?[/tetch]

Because, Rhube, we don't called it "rugger". It's football, rugby or union.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/28/02 07:24 PM
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 07:37 PM
Ah, well-a-day! For poor Max, stranded in the depths of the colonies, there is, of course no hope. But for you, my stalwart CapK, having the benefit of mixing with all the intelligentsia of Wellyboro, will soon learn the correct use of Enlgish as she be spoke ent thet roit, me dook?

WE call Association football, "footy" over here - and WE invented the game - so there!!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A new force to be reckoned with - 02/28/02 08:29 PM
WE call Association football, "footy" over here - and WE invented the game - so there!!

But, like a lot of things that were invented here, you don't do so damned well at them, do you? The "Association" part of soccer these days is about hooligan relationships during and after the match, isn't it? It's the one part of the game where England always triumphs!

Posted By: hev Re: Rewriting History - 02/28/02 11:05 PM
One question stales ... What are you ON? And can I have some

Hev
Posted By: stales Re: Rewriting History - 02/28/02 11:44 PM
Jeez Hev - there's me thinking I'd just done my cleverest post ever. I thought its only shortfall would be that only one person on the planet would get it - but it seems I overestimated the reality.

A clue....where was David Helfgott in the early 80's? Where does he live now?

Another....What do Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones have in common?

stales

Posted By: hev Re: Rewriting History - 03/01/02 12:07 AM
I thought its only shortfall would be that only one person on the planet would get it - but it seems I overestimated the reality.

Oh no, you misunderstood me. I got it (even got the reference to Jarrett Park - despite having not lived there for 14 years )... And yes, the men in black theme came through ok too. I was just in awe of how you managed to come up with it!!

there's me thinking I'd just done my cleverest post ever.

Yup! I thought it was pretty clever too... so now can I have some of whatever it is you are on?

Hev
Posted By: stales Re: Will The Real Football Please Stand - 03/01/02 12:12 AM
Max - when in Rome.......

I grew up in Sydney where it's all Rugby League. Attended a "rugby school" - Steve Cutler & Peter Fitzsimons (former Wallabies) are a couple of the better known alumni - but played soccer (coz me farver's a Pom).

Took up rugby at 30 - and loved it.

Have 2 sons that played aussie roolz every lunch time at school - so guess what they wanted to play when winter came along. After one season my wife and I were hooked. To be frank it's the best organised sport I've ever seen. Every kid has a go and the emphasis during the first years is on skills development and participation.

The coming season will be my older son's eighth - he'll be 13 in a couple of weeks. It will be the first time that official scores are kept - and arguably, the first time that winning matters. McDonalds are heavily behind the sport in Oz - well they have been - VERY smart marketing. For A$27 every kid gets a footy, a sticker book, tickets to games, discount vouchers (to Macs and a range of their "partners") and insurance cover. For every 7th child (boys and girls are welcome, mixed teams to Under 14's) registered with the club Mac's provides a ball. Thus, at training, every kid has a ball - figuratively and literally.

Show me any other sport that does more than that! Only problem is its only played in a few states of Australia. For this reason I'm keen for my boys to play rugby U at school. If they ever travel O/S, one phone call to the local RUFC means they will have somewhere to stay, people to meet and something to do on Saturday arvo. It is also a great game.

stales

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/01/02 12:22 AM
Posted By: stales Re: Will The Real Football Please Stand - 03/01/02 12:38 AM
Ok - I'll buy - Fitzie's birth defect........

He wasn't born in Zild was he?

stales

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/01/02 12:56 AM
Posted By: stales Re: Rewriting History - 03/01/02 01:00 AM
My faith is restored....

Apologies to everyone else for the self indulgence!

stales

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/01/02 01:13 AM
Posted By: consuelo What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 02:28 AM
First, you are talking about cricket, which I thought was a small insect the Chinese like to keep in a bamboo cage for good luck. Then, someone mentions a boxing match in the parking lot. I thought boxing was what you did to musksticks prior to sending them in the mail I'll be sending you my address for mine soon, stales, not mentioning what a nice picture I saw of you, either. Then you start talking about footy, which around here refers to the throwaway socks you use in the shoe store to try on shoes when you haven't any socks on. Lastly, ruggers. Aren't those people that weave rugs? Just sign me "Dazed and Confused"

[first US'n to touch this post, running and dragging her ten foot pole behind her-e]
Posted By: Keiva Re: What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 03:19 AM
Hey, Connie! Let's drag Sparteye in here, and we'll turn it into a midwest sports-thread.

Go Chicago Bulls! pffffffftt Detroit Pistons!

Posted By: hev Re: What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 04:06 AM
first US'n to touch this post,

And only the second sheila/chick/female ... glad you could join me!

Hev
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Will The Real Football Please Stand - 03/01/02 05:10 AM
Ok - I'll buy - Fitzie's birth defect........

He wasn't born in Zild was he?

Australian birth defect? Max's post notwithstanding, I'd have thought he was Taswegian ...

And even I got your bleeding post, stales!

Posted By: stales Re: Will The Real Football Please Stand - 03/01/02 12:13 PM
Hot damn - 2 people got my post! Things ARE looking up!

Nice of you to fess up CapK.

stales

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Will The Real Football Please Stand - 03/01/02 12:18 PM
Anything to avoid being kissed by Helfgott or zapped by MIB ...

Posted By: stales Re: What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 12:19 PM
Dear Dazed and Confused

JAST(c) Just Another Sports Thread

Wish I knew how to do a "copyright" -e]

stales

Edit: Testing 1, 2, 3 ... nope

Take 2... ©
EUREKA - thanks!!!!!!!!!

Could this be added to "Use Markups in Posts" please Anu Sahib?

Posted By: Rubrick Re: What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 12:29 PM
Ctrl-Alt-c in a word processor and then a copy and paste is my long-winded way of doing it.

Posted By: Keiva Re: What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 12:51 PM
Wish I knew how to do a "copyright" -e]

Or, at least on my computer, hold down ALT while typing 0169 on the number-keypad.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 01:13 PM
I'll admit, I too am flummoxed at the sports-naming vagaries of the Southern hemisphere -- and I'm a big fan of odd/foreign sports (the Olympics even got me addicted to curling). Here's what I understand of major non-American sport (note the lack of an "s" on "sports"):

Cricket -- Pretty obvious. Name appears constant the world over.

Soccer -- I assumed everyone but Americans called this sport some variation of "football" ('cept for the Italians who call it "kick"). This is apparently not true in Oz/NZ?

Australian Rules Football -- This is the sport on the round field with people constantly jumping about and kneeing each other in the back of the head, and the referees with the little gunslinger move to signal a goal, right? Despite watching it occasionally late-nights on one of the all-sports networks, I still have no understanding of the rules of this sport. This is called footy in Oz? And what in NZ? Is it even played in NZ?

Rugby -- This is the one with the scrums and the no forward passes and the lack of teeth. A friend of mine in grad school played women's rugby. She was about 5 feet tall and 100 pounds. I have no idea how she survived. What do you call this one?

Thanks for clearing this up for an ugly American.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: What's it all about, Alfie? - 03/01/02 09:12 PM
Oh, where to start? [knuckle-cracking -e]

Cricket -- Pretty obvious. Name appears constant the world over.

Yes, baseball, but with some sport attached! In baseball, you're creased if you see a constant procession of batters going over the base plate. In cricket, you ache to see each batsman at the crease for as long as possible ... in baseball if you have all your batters struck out, you're on a sticky wicket unless you have a lot of home runs. In cricket, you want a lot of runs with as few batsmen home in the pavilion as possible. A lot of baseballers are out on bail, cricketers are out when the bails are struck, so to speak.

Soccer -- I assumed everyone but Americans called this sport some variation of "football" ('cept for the Italians who call it "kick"). This is apparently not true in Oz/NZ?

Nope, it's soccer in Zild (and, I suspect, Oz). Football is rugby union in Zild, rugby league is, uh, league. Oh, sometimes someone makes so bold as to call soccer association football, but most Zilders see soccer players as the types who frequent gay bars on nights off .... so "association" is, by association, almost a dirty word ...

Australian Rules Football -- This is the sport on the round field with people constantly jumping about and kneeing each other in the back of the head, and the referees with the little gunslinger move to signal a goal, right? Despite watching it occasionally late-nights on one of the all-sports networks, I still have no understanding of the rules of this sport. This is called footy in Oz? And what in NZ? Is it even played in NZ?

To call AFL "football" is to grossly malign the sport. Those aerial moves ... the grace and athleticisim of the players ... the long, flowing hair ... the referees who looks as if they should be judging a livestock competition ... the way the ball flies back and forth from one end of the pitch to the other, seemingly without motive force ... the fact that there are four goal posts and no crossbars ... the designer tight shorts, sleeveless vest designed to show off the muscular chests of the players and to divert attention away from the lack of brains under the flowing hair ... and exaggerated jockstraps (Ah, the Black Russian!) ... the lack of obvious rules ... they all add up to the sport of kings. Well, mostly of queens from Kings Cross in any case. Aerial Ping-Pong Not played at any serious level in Zild. Well, no one who is serious about football plays it, anyway.

Rugby -- This is the one with the scrums and the no forward passes and the lack of teeth. A friend of mine in grad school played women's rugby. She was about 5 feet tall and 100 pounds. I have no idea how she survived. What do you call this one?

We call it football (is there any other kind?). Or, at a pinch, rugby.

HTH, in an unbiased and strictly neutral way ...

Posted By: Sparteye Testing - 03/01/02 11:15 PM
©

®

Cool, Rubrick! I can never remember the codes for these symbols, or where I put my list of the codes for these symbols, so your tip about cutting and pasting from Word is just the ticket. Thanks!