Thanks again to the extraordinary Anu.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/29/02 11:59 PM
Woo-hoo!

Very unlike molasses in January! down North, Max et al, down North

Thanks, Anu.

Posted By: wwh Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/30/02 01:00 AM
Wonderful, Wonderful Wordsmith!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc A Thank-you card from all - 01/30/02 01:09 AM
Outstanding improvement [wreathed in smiles-e] ! Grazie mille, muchos gracias, merci beaucoup, mountains of appreciation in every tongue we can collectively think of.

I was thinking of recent comments about the reasons there are many people who drop in, contribute for just a short while, and then drift away; the necessity for patience loomed high on the list. Threads on the subject, even. Now that impediment is removed :-)

and just in time - do you notice 2860 registrees and counting?

Posted By: consuelo Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/30/02 01:31 AM
I love it, too, now that I have unblocked my cookies! I upgraded my IE last week and it is VERY PICKY. It blocked the old cookies last week and the new ones today. I finally figured out the problem after an hour and a half on the phone with my very nice provider TI guy. NOW, though, I'm in luv. Thanks, Anu.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/30/02 04:22 AM
much appreciated, but a question. If despite the notice at the top of the page re-directing us to the new server someone posts at the old server, will we lose their words of wisdom for ever or are messages shunted across (probably not the correct technical term but I'm sure you understand me)?

Bingley
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/30/02 04:48 AM
Zip-Zip! And away!..... Now we're cookin'! Thanks, once again, Anu, for making your gift even grander!

Posted By: Bean Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/30/02 11:37 AM
Man, instant gratification! It's been a while...thanks, Anu!

Posted By: wow Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/30/02 01:29 PM
Thank you Anu!
Hoo-ah!

Posted By: Fiberbabe Zoom! - 01/30/02 02:39 PM
Quick like a bunny! I'll get so much more done at work now... I won't have to wait for the pages to load, so I'll be able to catch up with the posts faster! A girl's got to have her priorities. Thanks Anu.

Posted By: maverick Re: a zoom with review - 01/30/02 02:42 PM
won't have to wait for the pages to load, so I'll be able to catch up with the posts faster!

yeahbut®

we'll all post more (Dr Sod's Special Law of dynam-E-cs)

Posted By: Jackie Re: a zoom with review - 01/30/02 04:21 PM
(Dr Sod's Special Law of dynam-E-cs)
Is that the one that says clutter expands to fill available space?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/30/02 04:27 PM
If despite the notice at the top of the page re-directing us to the new server someone posts at the old server, will we lose their words of wisdom

I don't think that's possible. I didn't even see a notice for a new server. All the links were switched to the new server and the old one was probably disconnected, so I doubt there will be any problems.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/30/02 06:35 PM
Posted By: Faldage Grumble, grumble, grumble - 01/30/02 06:47 PM
I had gotten used to clicking on a forum above the fold and then scrolling down to see if there was anything below the fold while waiting for the forum to connect. Now I don't have enough time to do that.

Posted By: satin Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/30/02 08:03 PM
I too am having an expeditious time viewing the most recent information.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/30/02 10:25 PM
Love the zip - I just thought that my ISP had finally replaced the wet string with a piece of nichrome wire ...

But what's this message? Ain't seen no message.

Posted By: Angel Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/30/02 10:35 PM
But what's this message? Ain't seen no message.

Me either, CapK. But love it...so fast now. Don't read my e-mail at the same time as I change pages here!

Posted By: nancyk Re: what message - 01/30/02 10:36 PM
Ain't seen no message.

Nor have I, Cap K, now that you mention it. Had no inkling we had a new server until reading this thread. Looked all over for that darn message and found nary a trace. How come?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/31/02 02:18 AM
Um, I guess the "message" you're talking about must be the one that read something like: Sorry, server down for upgrade. Please try again in 30 minutes.
I just happened to catch it.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Server Upgrade! - 01/31/02 02:30 AM
Oh, it's MARVELIOUS, as one of my children used to day. Now I shall be like a kid with a new toy.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/31/02 05:34 AM
No, this message:

Please use AWADtalk at the new server now. Thanks.

in a box at the top of the welcome page in a pink box with a black border. New server is clickable.I found it there yesterday morning when I first looked at the Internet in the morning (how many others have AWAD as their homepage by the way?).

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/31/02 12:34 PM
the top of the welcome page in a pink box with a black border
What welcome page? When I open AWAD, it just opens to the Main Index. And I haven't seen any pink since JazzO. sparked the re-design. And--how in the world do I make AWAD my Home Page, please? That sounds cool.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/31/02 03:54 PM
And--how in the world do I make AWAD my Home Page, please? That sounds cool.

Since I can't quite remember how to do it on a Windows machine because I've switched to the superior OS, this link will show you how to make their page your homepage. All you have to do is substitue their's for http://www.wordsmith.org/awad.

http://www.wmonline.com/newUser2.html

It will make it so AWAD is first page you see when you open the internet browser. It's not really as exciting as you might think.

Posted By: of troy Re: Thank you, Anu! - 01/31/02 04:08 PM
and any one buying (getting) new hard ware will find with window 2K machine, the (and some machine before this..) there are buttons at the top of the keyboard.. they have silk screen designs for mail, home and search.. but they are programable.. (the mail icon open my mail server app, the home button open to company home page, and the last button i programmed to open AWAD)

a single button to open netscape and goes directly to AWAD.

pretty cool acutally-- the best is the 1.5 G clock, and a 20G hard drive!

(i am so old, i remember the first hard drive i bought was a 40K, and it cost almost $400-- and it wasn't even for me... it was for my son.. and i wasn't sure he needed that much hard drive space! Not when i was paying for it!)

Posted By: jmh Re: Server Upgrade! - 02/01/02 12:43 AM
Love it - it's sooooo ... clickable!

Posted By: jmh Re: Server Upgrade! - 02/01/02 12:45 AM
It even works with my firewall - cooooool, no more lost (forever, I rarely repeat the gems that go down the pan) posts.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Server Upgrade! -- and a question - 02/01/02 01:37 AM
Wow! Thank you Anu!!!!!!

Question for the board: does this new speed obviate or minimize the need for our general policy of avoiding chattiness? I happen to enjoy chatting, but I suspect there are other reasons for that policy beyond connectivity delays and costs.

May I ask for the voices of experience on this one? Thank you.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Server Upgrade! -- and a question - 02/01/02 02:03 AM
What, we are to avoid chattiness???? My goodness what happened while I was away. Chatting is half the fun. All right, who's been talking too much. Is shona back?

(ooo, he misses everybody and says hi, by the way)

Posted By: Keiva Re: Server Upgrade! -- and a question - 02/01/02 03:13 AM
bel, I personally agree with you, but I'm pretty sure that with the old server, others have expressed serious reservations about chatting here. Unsure whether those reservations still apply.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Server Upgrade! -- and chatting - 02/01/02 03:28 PM
a long time ago and far, far away, we arrived at a concensus (as much as we ever do here) that chatting was to be <ahem> tolerated so long as it was relegated to Miscellany (or was it Wordplay (or both)?). but [the chorus intones] why so? it was felt by a plurality, or more, that chattiness tended to decimate threads about words leaving only remnants of wordy threads.
-joe (amanuensis) friday(!)

p.s. - hooray for a faster server... praise anu and pass the amunition.

Posted By: Jackie I GOT it! - 02/01/02 05:01 PM
Amunition = "I have a dream where society will replace guns with dictionaries." Right, tsuwm?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc dream on - 02/01/02 07:51 PM
Jackie - you're in rare form! First painful windows and now weaponless societies! Keep those cards and letters (and loose associations) comin', folks! Just to aviod any ambiguity - that's all supposed to be a compliment [applause])

Posted By: belMarduk Re: dream on - 02/02/02 12:07 AM
Ooooooo, you're in trouble now wof. Calling a southern lady loose. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Posted By: Jackie Re: dream on - 02/02/02 05:10 PM
Thank you, wofa! And, bel, who knows--I just might be loose, with him! (Ha, D, bet I made YOU blush, now!) He has told me things about my heart that I didn't even know...

Just to be sure that the record is straight--the quote in my preceding post is something Anu said. I noticed first that tsuwm had mis-spelled ammunition, and then: "Nuh-uh, he doesn't do that; there must be a specific reason he put it that way". And then that quote just leapt to mind, for some reason. And I wish he'd tell me whether I got it right or not, she whined petulantly.

Posted By: Keiva Re: I GOT it! - 02/02/02 06:05 PM
Amunition = "I have a dream where society will replace guns with dictionaries."
Anu mission="I have a dream where society will replace guns with dictionaries."

© Wordsmith.org