Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill A Sentimental Day - 01/11/02 04:47 AM
Today, Saturday, is the most sentimental of days.
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/11/02 05:05 AM
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/11/02 05:18 AM
Anything you can edit...
Why is Saturday sentimental?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/11/02 06:51 AM
Yes, Saturday is a friendly day, too. You might even say it's a good 'friend' of mine

Posted By: Geoff Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/12/02 05:56 AM
For belMarduk? For Jackie? They both need our best wishes. Or were you thinking of the four months since the WTC attack?

Posted By: consuelo Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/12/02 06:52 AM
I sincerely wish all the best for my two mini-wapaloo buddies. May they both feel much much better as of yesterday. Kisses for boo-boos where needed.
Connie

Posted By: Wordwind Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/12/02 01:52 PM
And another signature here on the get well card--speedy recovery and speedy mending.

Heart to heart,
WW

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/12/02 02:29 PM
Actually, Geoff, it is appropriate for all three...but I did have one of our board buddies in mind. Feelin' better even as we speak, I'm sure!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/12/02 03:22 PM
Hope all is well with everyone!

Posted By: Angel Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/12/02 11:47 PM
Sending best wishes and prayers where they are needed most.

Angel

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/13/02 12:37 AM
Is anyone else still in the dark about what we're talking about here? I sure am.

Posted By: Keiva Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/13/02 05:07 AM
The lady in question posted about an hour ago in Misc/Over-correction. Welocme back, Jackie! A thousand !

Posted By: musick Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/13/02 04:57 PM
I sincerely wish all the best for my two mini-wapaloo buddies.

That would be our two...

JazzO - I think they missed thier flew shots this year.

Get well greetings to anyone who isn't! Oh, and Happy Birthday to any one who is! (celebrating a birthday, of course)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/14/02 09:55 AM
Welcome back, Jackie!!

Big kiss and an ever-so-gentle hug!

DubDub

Posted By: nancyk Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/14/02 11:41 PM
Is anyone else still in the dark about what we're talking about here?

Count me in, Jazzo - in the dark and out of the loop apparently. I don't have a clue what this thread is about, starting with Saturday a sentimental day. Anyone care to elucidate?

later edit: And how did we get from Saturday to a get well wish? I'm SO confused....
Posted By: consuelo Re: A Get Well Card and Wish! - 01/14/02 11:59 PM
That would be our two...

Didn't want to put words in your mouth, 'specially since as far as I know Jackie is the only one with special permission to speak for you.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/15/02 12:06 AM
OK, I give. Why was Thursday Saturday? (etc etc)

Posted By: Jackie Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/15/02 12:18 AM
Why was Thursday Saturday?
Because that Sweet WO'N was being considerate of me, and edited his Thursday post without realizing the anomaly therein. [kiss] to you, Sweet WO'N.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/15/02 12:47 AM

Because that Sweet WO'N was being considerate of me, and edited his Thursday post without realizing the anomaly therein.

Oh, ok. Got that, JazzO and nancyk? [still dark]

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/15/02 01:35 PM
OK, I *finally get it. Speedy recovery, Jackie, and don't choke on any wooden pretzels!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/15/02 08:51 PM
Oho, so preztels come in bottles these days, do they?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Sentimental Day - 01/15/02 10:16 PM
Oho, so preztels come in bottles these days, do they?

I dunno about preztels. Are they related to borax-poking?

Posted By: jmh Re: Pretzels and Borax - 01/16/02 07:33 AM
>Oho, so pretzels come in bottles these days, do they?

Or so the great British public might believe, according to yesterday's newspapers. Most of the papers that I saw on the news-stand carried a picture of a pretzel alongside Mr President on the front page to illustrate the news story because many (I hestitate to say most) people here do not know what a pretzel is!

Now if Tony Blair had been eating a chip buttie .....

Posted By: Bingley Re: Pretzels and Borax - 01/17/02 05:43 AM
In reply to:

many (I hestitate to say most) people here do not know what a pretzel is

Some sort of American nut, I think.

Bingley

Posted By: doc_comfort Pretzels and Kramer - 01/17/02 06:02 AM
These people talking about pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Pretzels and Borax - 01/17/02 11:36 AM
Some sort of American nut, I think.
Ooh, Bingley--you may be hearing from A Certain Someone about that little remark! [twinkling eyes e]

Ok, Jo, I'll "bite": what's a chip buttie?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/17/02 01:02 PM
Oh, Jackie, you poor thing. Such a sadly neglected education ...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/17/02 05:41 PM
Oh, Jackie, you poor thing. Such a sadly neglected education ...
Well, for heaven's sake, give me one, then...long as they ain't musk-flavored.

Posted By: duncan large Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/21/02 02:12 PM
A french-fries sandwich , in my case obscenely smothered in Heinz tomato ketchup(nothing else will do) it is an artery-clogging comfort food of the highest water! . I have no idea why or when the word "butty " became popular.

the Duncster
Posted By: Faldage Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/21/02 03:29 PM
Such a sadly neglected education ...

A french-fries sandwich

Rather happily neglected, I should say. Methinks 'tis folly to be wise.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/21/02 10:39 PM
A French fry sandwich - oh my gosh, in Québec, in my Dad's day, they used to eat guédilles on Fridays because they weren't allowed to eat meat (a Catholic thing). These were french fries in a hotdog bun - french fry sandwiches.

Is it a religious thing for you too?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/22/02 02:59 AM
Also re guédilles

My religion forbids me to eat fries [frites] on bread, also to eat them with ketchup (unless excessively dry), and positively not with mayonnaise, which I understand is popular in some heathen lands.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/22/02 05:52 AM
I must admit I was somewhat taken aback the first time I came across the practice of dunking chips in mayonnaise, which was when I was living in Spain. I soon came to embrace it, though.

Bel, I don't think chip butties had any religious origin, although they have been accorded near divine status by some.

Bingley
Posted By: jmh Re: Butties .... - 01/22/02 08:07 AM
>Chip butties, bacon butties, jam butties, cheese butties, ham butties ...

Amazing, you don't get chance to look for a few days and you're all off again! Maybe Bel is right and the chip buttie does have religious significance. It has always been claimed by Manchester (although Liverpool, see below, could just as easily claim it) and I really wouldn't be surprised if it was served up on a Friday to those who couldn't afford fish and chips (y'all know that chips are fries and crisps are chips).

Food thread items:There was a discussion on the radio yesterday about the role of high fat foods (like dripping) in the days when people expended more energy in their daily lives - these days people eat just as much fat, it is just hidden in processed foods.

The buttie bit is easy - it just relates to the bread and butter, although where I came from a buttie would always be a single piece of bread (white sliced!) folded with a filling inside, rather than a sandwich which tends to have two slices piled on top of each other and cut. It is especially important in a chip buttie, otherwise the chips and melted butter ooze out. A large bread roll or barm cake (Manchester) is even better, although for me a chip buttie is now a luxury food reserved for very rare moments of comfort deficit.

Interestingly Jackie isn't the only person in Louisville with an encyclopaedic knowledge of Brit speak:

Butty: a sandwich, i.e., buttered bread.
Source: LS2,SL
http://www.louisville.edu/~tavan001/MerseytalkB.html

Posted By: Angel Re: Butties .... - 01/22/02 01:49 PM
...It is especially important in a chip buttie, otherwise the chips and melted butter ooze out.

You mean, you take the healthy potato, cut it, deep fry it in fat, then put it on bread and drench it in melted butter? Exactly what is your cholesterol count anyway? Or is it, as you say, "a luxury food reserved for very rare moments of comfort deficit" and not eaten on a regular basis?

And, by the way, my favorite way to have french fries, yeah, I know...the cholesteral thing is dipped in blue cheese dressing. Especially good when served with the spicy chicken wings we have here in Buffalo. They are NOT called Buffalo wings. Buffalos do not have wings, folks!

Posted By: duncan large Re: buffalo wings .... - 01/22/02 02:30 PM
They just cannot get wings right in the UK, one of my favourite things ( there were many) about my visit to NY
for the Lennox Lewis / holyfield fight was the buffalo wings and the HUGE steak sandwich I consumed in the Pig and Whistle on west 47th

mmmmmmmmm..............wiiiiiiiinnnnnngs
( I am now drooling a la Homer)

the Duncster
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Food - 01/22/02 02:45 PM
Harrumph®.
At least Jo (aka jmh) had the good grace to dress her food offerings in white.

Posted By: jmh Re: Butties .... - 01/22/02 03:04 PM
>You mean, you take the healthy potato, cut it, deep fry it in fat, then put it on bread and drench it in melted butter?

Ducking for cover Almost right. We butter the bread and then add the deep fried hot potato so that the butter melts on contact - actually the whole point. Divine and wicked like any taste from childhood sadly replaced by more austere eating habits. My children will probably feel the same about pizza when they finally have to reduce their intake.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Chip Butties .... - 01/22/02 03:33 PM
not with mayonnaise, which I understand is popular in some heathen lands.

Thank the gods for heathens!

The yumsaroolianest way to eat fries.

Of course, ketchup does have natural mellowing agents.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Et tu, Fooldage - 01/22/02 03:39 PM

Posted By: of troy butter up! - 01/22/02 04:12 PM
all these buttery post remind me of an experience in my youth-- we were poor-- i never much realized it. (but when i was i in HS, i found out i qualified for free lunch-- not just subsidized.. so we were pretty close to the US povery line) but we always had food in the house..

my mother was parsimonious with the butter though-- she always wanted us to use margarine (and leave all the butter for her!) and was always upset if we used up the 1 pound block before the week was up.. (we were a family of 7!)

then one day, she was talking about the hardships of WWll, when food was rationed (even in ireland, which was neutral during the war). she let it slip that their ration was 1 pound per person per week!

since my mother's family was also 7--this was a ration of 7 pounds of butter a week! and here we were, with a single pound to last a week! but my mother buttered everything... including hamburger rolls, and sometimes, stale pound cake! (needless to say, with 5 hungry kids to feed, it was a rare day that pound cake hung around long enough to get stale!)

I am not sure the english (or the irish, for that matter) can eat anything with out butter!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: butter up! - 01/22/02 09:56 PM
Although I haven't looked it up, I've always assumed the term "buttie" comes from "bread and butter". A kind of northern non-rhyming slang. Bloody heathens!

But I've yet to find REALLY good chips in Britain. [ducking-for-cover-yet-again -e]

Posted By: jmh Re: derivations - 01/22/02 11:18 PM
It is OK to talk about where terms come from as long as we don't get into recipes.

So I've finally found out why y'all call chips "French fries" it isn't because they were invented by the French. It is because French is type of cut, so they were really fried French cut potatoes. Don't bother googling, you have to wade through too much underwear to get anywhere.

Posted By: Jackie Re: derivations - 01/24/02 02:08 AM
you have to wade through too much underwear to get anywhere.
Well, gee, Jo--some people positively revel in underwear...

Posted By: consuelo Re: derivations - 01/24/02 04:26 AM
some people positively revel in underwear...

...while others reveal theirs

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: derivations - 01/24/02 12:55 PM
No, Connie, Jackie said exactly what she meant: "some people reveal in underwear" Concentrate, woman, concentrate!

Posted By: Jackie Re: derivations - 01/24/02 06:27 PM
Right on, CK---

Posted By: consuelo Re: derivations - 01/25/02 02:12 AM
Well, I know I have a little potter's clay on my glasses and just about everywhere else, too. Maybe Jackie meant reveal but she said
revel.
When it comes to underwear, I don't back down, I only back away Now, how do I get that six-shooter smiliecon to work?

Posted By: consuelo Not again![back of hand to forehead-e] - 01/25/02 02:15 AM
So, CK, is it another case of "All will be revealed"?

Dunno. Suggest you ask her, if you think you'll get any joy of it ...

© Wordsmith.org