Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy a non-word post.. and another - 10/26/01 12:02 PM
Everyone has been so kind, and several have PM'd me to ask how i am, and "are things back to normal". Instead of sending out lots of PM's, i wanted to post something, put this forum doesn't seem right, nor does animal safari.

My post is about the Zeitgeist of NY.. so it seems natural to post it in Loanwords from German. Problem was, that forum didn't work. So, i took it upon myself to figure out why, and then sent Anu a short note detailing the actual problem, and asked him to resolve it.

so Loanwords from German Forum is now open for business.
no thanks are necessary, i recieved a personal thank you from Anu, and not even a cat with canary feathers round his mouth, could be more pleased.

Posted By: Jackie Re: a non-word post.. and another - 10/27/01 12:18 AM
that forum didn't work. So, i took it upon myself to figure out why, and then sent Anu a short note detailing the actual problem
Namaste, my dear.

Posted By: wwh Re: a non-word post.. and another - 10/27/01 12:35 AM
Dear of troy: what brand of noodles did you use? and how many lashes?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: a non-word post.. and another - 10/27/01 03:38 AM
so Loanwords from German Forum is now open for business

Good! Now maybe the ghost of an old Neanderthal joke I once posted into oblivion there will rear its ugly head.

Posted By: Keiva Re: in praise of Helen - 10/27/01 04:47 AM
So, i took it upon myself to figure out why, and then sent Anu a short note ... so Loanwords from German Forum is now open for business.

Well done, Helen. Thank you.
Sigh. In my experience, men will be pleased to note a problem, but it's more likely to be a woman who has the gumption to step up and resolve it.
BTW: Jackie, what means "namaste"?

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: in praise of Helen - 10/27/01 06:25 AM
>BTW: Jackie, what means "namaste"?

http://www.yogamidwest.com/namaste.html

Posted By: Sparteye Danke - 10/27/01 01:25 PM
That lonesome post in Loanwords from German always bothered me. Thanks for the cure, Helen.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Danke - 10/27/01 04:36 PM
but now all of those "secret" posts to that thread are probably lost forever.

Posted By: consuelo Re: secret postings? - 10/30/01 02:56 AM
Secret postings? I didn't see no steenking secret postings!

Posted By: Faldage Re: secret postings. - 10/30/01 01:55 PM
consuelo didn't see no steenking secret postings!

Well, if you saw them they wouldn't be secret, would they?

Posted By: of troy Re: Danke - 10/30/01 06:52 PM
Since Jackie has hinted at it, (over in Misc.) i will tell you the solution to Loan Word from German. I had never posted there, or even tried, but when i did try, i got back a message.. (i didn't save,-- so this is from my dim memory) "your message will be posted when it has been approved" -- a message i had never seen before. so i checked the Forum Information and found...(i added the bold)-- Oh yeah i looked in Loan Words from German, but i copied these details from this forum..

Forum Information:

Information and announcements
Check this forum for latest developments about A.Word.A.Day
Created on Mon Mar 13 20:58:23 2000
Moderator: wordsmith
Post approval is On
Total Posts: 5370
Last post: Tue Oct 30 10:13:59 2001
HTML is Off
Markup is On
You have read and write privileges for this forum.
Posts never expire.

but when i checked other forums, the Post approval: Off was selected..

so i copied the info, and sent it to Anu, inquiring if this was deliberate, or an oversight? and an hour later, I had his kind reply, and 12 hours later, i posted my zietgeist post. ( i sent the info to Anu late in the day, and didn't see his response till the next morning.)

all the previous attempts to post are sitting in some never, never land file, waiting for someone to approve them. (and who knows if you ask nice, Anu might yet approve them.!)
i am guessing everyone who as ever attempted to post something to Loan Words from German got the same message, and just never followed up on it.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: secret postings? - 10/30/01 06:54 PM
if you know a phrase embedded in the thread (i.e., the secret password), you can reference it via the search function -- then all will be revealed.

Posted By: of troy Re: secret postings? - 10/30/01 07:10 PM
oh, so you can look up what you posted, (since you know what you wrote!) and if i can mind read, i can search for something i have never seen, never read, in a language i don't know! well isn't that helpful!
[that and a token will get you on the subway emoticon]

Posted By: Faldage Re: Geheimnis - 10/30/01 07:13 PM
Verstehst du?

Posted By: jmh Re: secret postings? - 10/30/01 09:59 PM
It reminds me of that excellent game "Mornington Crescent".

© Wordsmith.org