Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Anonymous BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/25/01 06:57 PM
Since our birthday thread is getting rather unwieldy, and in deference to those who are bound by mortal connection speeds, let us begin anew!

new entries are listed in bold

JANUARY

? Annastrophic
11 Alex Williams

FEBRUARY

3 Hyla
3 Shoshannah
9 Shanks
10 wow
13 Emanuela
18 doc_comfort
24 Belligerentyouth

MARCH

2 MFA
9 Ted Remington
9 Jackie
22 Inselpeter
29 Fiberbabe

APRIL

5 Wordsmith
10 bridget96
11 PaulB
18 Flatlander
20 Bobyoungbalt
22 hedonist
23 Keiva
24 Jazzoctopus
26 stales

MAY

1 Scribbler
1 of troy
4 cameron
7 wordcrazy
11 Rouspeteur
12 Rapunzel
16 Marianna
22 Musick

JUNE

22 satin
24 rodward

JULY

5 Faldage
21 Lusy

AUGUST

12 nancyk
23 Rubrick
25 Capital Kiwi
25 WordWind

SEPTEMBER

1 Erle W. Machiavellean
2 des
11 jimthedog
15 ladymoon
26 wwh
29 Bingley

OCTOBER

5 BelMarduk
19 squid
20 Seian
23 BeingCJ
25 consuelo
28 Geoff
29 Sparteye

NOVEMBER

9 3.14159265
21 Avy
22 Max Quordlepleen

DECEMBER

13 Maverick
21 Juanmaria
27 WhitmanO'Neill
29 Xara

If you would like to be added to the list, please send me a PM or simply post your birthday within the thread and i'll edit accordingly.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/25/01 06:58 PM
Jackie
(Carpal Tunnel)
Tue Sep 25 06:59:05 2001
Re: BIRTHDAYS PART II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow to my lovely Dr. Bill.
I love you!

nancyk
(member)
Tue Sep 25 14:30:48 2001
Re: BIRTHDAYS PART II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy b'day to all the Bs: Dr. Bill, Bingley and belMarduk - all of whom will be celebrating while I'm away on vacation. Many, many happy wishes to all of you !

nancyk

Posted By: consuelo Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/26/01 03:37 AM
Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear dr. Bill. Happy birthday to you.

Posted By: maverick Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/26/01 09:44 AM
Happy Birthday, Dr Bill! I hope you enjoy the celebration of the year to come.

Posted By: Keiva Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/26/01 10:32 AM
Happiest of day, dr. bill!
As the ideal birthday present for the good doctor, can someone (tsuwm?) come up with some esoterica of word-posts for the day?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/26/01 11:43 AM
Bonne fête Dr. Bill. I hope your day is full of happy surprises.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/27/01 07:29 PM
Happy (belated) Birthday, Uncle Bill! I hope it was fun.

Posted By: of troy Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/27/01 07:44 PM
Dearest William, i am so sorry networking problems prevented me from posting a birthday message..

I send you the dearest of unbirthday wishes, today, in liue of a belated wish for yesterday..

Posted By: Jackie Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/28/01 04:54 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow, Bingley!

Posted By: satin Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/28/01 06:04 PM
As I won't have a computer tomorrow either Bingley, I would like to add my wish for you to have a smashing wonderful birthday too.

Posted By: maverick Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 09/29/01 11:43 AM
Happy birthday, Bingley!

Posted By: Jackie Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/05/01 02:06 AM
Happy Birthday (55 min. from the time of this post),
belMarduk! Much love, Sweetie!

Posted By: Bingley Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/05/01 05:34 AM
Happy Birthday, belmarduk.

Bingley
Posted By: maverick Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/05/01 09:18 AM
Happy Birthday, BelM! Have you finished your quota of mad things for the week yet? I hope you have a great weekend, secure in the knowledge that cute is indeed ageless

Posted By: belMarduk Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/05/01 02:36 PM
Nope, I'm supposed to go parachuting again. How exciting is that!! I'm bouncing off the walls as we speak. Birthdays are tremendous. I even walked into work today with jeans on and braids in my hair. They're calling me Heidi (but with auburn hair).

Oh, and any sales person out there will know this feeling...I called a client to whom I had made a huge presentation (1 million / year business) and said..."Rob I'm calling to bug you 'bout the fries and, well, you gotta give me the business 'cause its my birthday." I got it. HA.

Posted By: satin Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/05/01 03:43 PM
Congrats belMarduk on your great sale and your birthday. How wonderful to celebrate the day with that sale making your day even better. Hope the rest of the day is as profitable.

Posted By: of troy Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/05/01 04:16 PM
dearest bel, much happiness, and many more happy returns. i hope your day is a beautiful as it is here. clear skys, warms sunshine, and little nips of wind, reminding you it is almost winter.

Posted By: maverick Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/15/01 02:25 PM
Hapi birfda, No err

http://www.merriam-webster.com/about/noah.htm

Have you seen M-W’s Word of the Day, Jackie? *EG*

Posted By: Bingley Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/19/01 05:25 AM
Happy birthday wherever you are squid and Seian. It seems a long time since we heard from either of you.

Bingley
Posted By: consuelo Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/19/01 09:39 AM
Yes, Bingley. It has been awhile, hasn't it. I join you in wishing them happiest of b-days.
Consuelo

Posted By: satin Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/25/01 05:43 PM
Feliz Cumpleanos Consuelo. I don't know how to do the ~ above the anos. Sorry.

Posted By: maverick Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/25/01 06:11 PM
Hope you're having a fun day, Consuelo ~ make it the first in a really good year!

Posted By: of troy Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/25/01 06:35 PM
Oh yes- happy happy birthday! and a i hope you have a whole year of happy unbirthdays, too.!

Posted By: Jackie Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/25/01 09:42 PM
Yes indeed, a wish for a day of fun and exitement for the both of you.

Posted By: Keiva Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/26/01 03:44 AM
Just got back into town from a day trip -- just in time to wish you a H.B., Consuelo.
BTW, no postings from you recently. Has anybody seen Consuelo in the last few days?

Posted By: Bingley Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/26/01 05:56 AM
A belated happy birthday to you consuelo. Anu suggests a subscription for a belated birthday gift, but I suspect you already have one.

Bingley
Posted By: musick Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/26/01 07:19 AM
D'OH...and, Happy Birthday to all those that I've missed in the past few...

I think I'm blind...

(It's all 64 slices of 'merican cheese...)

Posted By: satin Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/26/01 07:35 PM
Geoff - I know I am 2 days early on this one but I won't have internet access on Sunday so have a great Birthday!

Posted By: consuelo Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/28/01 01:30 PM
Geoff, fellow Scorpio, Happy Birthday to you! May it be as good as mine was. Thanks to everyone!

Posted By: of troy Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/28/01 02:01 PM
Happy birthday Geoff..i hope you too, woke to sunny sky's and cool breezes, and the day just keeps getting better!

Posted By: maverick Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/28/01 04:01 PM
Happy Birthday, Geoff - hope you're having fun and Fun doesn't mind the attention

As I am away for a couple of days, also a big HB hug to Ann for tomorrow!

Posted By: Bingley Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/29/01 09:40 AM
Belated happy birthday to Geoff, and on time for once, just, a very happy birthday to Sparteye.

Bingley
Posted By: jimthedog Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/29/01 09:50 AM
A very happy birthday for Sparteye.
[fireworks e]

Posted By: of troy Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/29/01 10:59 AM
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!
The very best to you today, Sparteye!

Our Dog must be the dog star, rising before dawn as a herald! way to go jim!

Posted By: Keiva Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/29/01 12:15 PM
Happy birthday, Sparteye!
(Sports-related note to the birthday girl: doesn't it figure that Paterno would tie the record by beating my Northwestern, and then break it by beating your OSU? I do love and admire JoeP, but did he have to do it *that way? )

Edit-- thanks, bingley (US college football: career victories by a coach.)
Posted By: belMarduk Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/29/01 01:47 PM
Bonne fete Sparteye! (oops, there should be an "accent circonflexe" (little hat) on the 1st e in fete)

May this day be the start of a most fabulous year.

Posted By: satin Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/29/01 02:45 PM
Happy Birthday Sparteye! With Wordapalooza in this Birthday year how could it be anything but wonderful. Can't wait for this grand function to begin and to meet you, Ann and everyone else too.

Posted By: consuelo Re: BIRTHDAYS Vol. III - 10/30/01 03:00 AM
Only one hour left in which to wish Sparteye a happy birthday on the correct day, folks!

Posted By: Bingley a slight digression - 10/30/01 05:54 AM
In reply to:

doesn't it figure that Paterno would tie the record by beating my Northwestern, and then beak it by beating your OSU? I do love and admire JoeP, but did he have to do it *that way?

I don't even know what sport we're talking about here, but what does beaking it mean?

Bingley

Posted By: Sparteye Re: a slight digression - 10/31/01 02:00 AM
Bingley, the sport is football. Joe Paterno is the 70-something head coach of the Penn State team, and with a victory over Ohio State last Saturday, he broke the all-time record for wins. "Beak" is a typo for "break."

Posted By: Bingley Re: a slight digression - 10/31/01 05:15 AM
Oh dear, and beak it sounded so evocative of something or other, too. I thought it might be when one of the players hurls himself face down on the ball in American football to score a try? a goal? whatever they do score in American football anyway.

Bingley
Posted By: Sparteye scoring in football - 10/31/01 03:00 PM
I think that you are thinking of a "touchdown," Bingley.

When a team carries the ball (or catches it and retains possession in) the opponent's endzone, the team scores a touchdown, which is worth 6 points.

Other ways to score in football:

Point after touchdown: Upon scoring a touchdown, a team has an opportunity to kick the ball through the upright goalposts. If it does so, it gets another point.

Two-point conversion: Upon scoring a touchdown, a team may, instead of kicking the point after, attempt in a single play to again penetrate the endzone with the ball. If it does so, it gets two more points.

Field goal: a team may, when it has possession of the ball during regular play, attempt to kick the ball through the goalposts. If it does so, it gets three points.

Safety: if a team traps the other team in its own endzone with the ball, the trapping team scores two points.

For more football terms, and more precise definitions, see
http://www.firstbasesports.com/glossaries/ftbglos.htm

Posted By: Keiva Re: scoring in football - 10/31/01 07:28 PM
quiz, Sparteye (to which I'm not certain my answer is correct): is it possible for a football game to end with a score of 1-0, and if so, how?

Posted By: Bingley Re: scoring in football - 11/01/01 04:27 AM
>a score of 1-0

And would you read that as "one nil"?

Bingley
Posted By: Bean Re: a slight digression - 11/01/01 11:40 AM
Apparently the Canadian Football League (CFL) has slightly different rules about numbers of downs and scoring which some say make the game more exciting than the American version. I'm not much into football so I'm not sure, but my national pride urged me to post this bit of info anyway. The very little football I have watched was CFL football, during the Grey Cup (our finals, equivalent to the US Superbowl but played a good two months earlier, and often in the snow). Any Canadian football fans on the board want to expand on that? (Rouspeteur/BelM/plutarch?)

Posted By: Sparteye Re: scoring in football - 11/01/01 12:54 PM
Funny you should mention that, Kieva, since I amost remarked in my prior post that a score of "one" is the only mathematically impossible score in football.

And we would pronounce that score "one-zero" or "one-oh" or "one-nothing," Bingley, but never "one-nil."

Posted By: Sparteye Canadian football - 11/01/01 01:02 PM
The major differences between American and Canadian (ha! go ahead, everybody, fight about that terminology!) are: (1) the dimensions of the playing field, the Canadian field being larger; (2) the number of players, 11 in American, 12 in Canadian; (3) three downs to advance 10 yards in Canadian, but four downs in American; (4) in Canadian, a team can score one point for a rouge, awarded to a kicking or punting team if an opposing player is trapped in the end zone on a return play.

For more details, see http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~leblancj/stampeders/compare.html

Posted By: jmh Re: slight digression ... - 11/01/01 02:15 PM
Sounds like a sports thread takeover to me and some people complain about food, mutter, mutter ... How about looking in "Loanwords from German"

Posted By: Keiva Re: scoring in football - 11/01/01 05:44 PM
sparteye, I believe vaguely that in some high school leagues, at least, if one team fails to show up the forfieted game is scored as 1-0 -- which can be important for league "tie-breakers" at season end.

Posted By: Jackie Re: scoring in football - 11/01/01 06:27 PM
Gah! People, this is the BIRTHDAYS thread, if you please!!!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: scoring in football - 11/01/01 08:49 PM
Well, then, happy birthday to intercollegiate football, first played on November 6, 1869.

And to Troy Aikman, born on November 21.

[duck-and-run emoticon]

Posted By: of troy Food fight! - 11/01/01 09:02 PM
Jo, you are so kind, and gentle.. it doesn't work.. you must out and out threaten a FOOD FIGHT to stop a sports thread..

maybe your threats don't work-- but when it comes to a food vs sports thread--no one wants to tangle with me! when i threaten food fight, sports talk stops.. (all this power is going to my head!)

Back to Birthday wishes, Please!

Posted By: jmh Re: Food fight! - 11/02/01 07:02 AM
I really did set up a thread in Loanwords from German. I hope that y'all be very happy there.
To be honest, I might even join in as I haven't a clue about the rules of the football that is played with those big shoulder pads, looks a bit sissy to me, compared to a good old game of rugger!

Please continue in another place.
Now Helen, was that still too gentle?

Posted By: jimthedog Re: scoring in football - 11/09/01 10:04 PM
Arkport one,Hornell none.
using local towns because I despise football, and don't know any major league teams.

Posted By: consuelo Has anyone heard from Cutiepi? - 11/09/01 10:32 PM
Happy birthday pi, wherever you have wandered, wherever you have roamed!

Posted By: Faldage Re: scoring in football - 11/12/01 02:05 PM
"one nil"

One ill? Who's sick?

Posted By: Jackie to Sweet Avy, for the 21st. - 11/20/01 05:02 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my friend!

Love,

Jackie

in time. Close enough. Have a wonderful and happy birthday, Avy.

Posted By: Bingley Avy, happy birthday - 11/21/01 06:19 AM
and come back soon, we miss you.

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie To Max - 11/21/01 11:06 AM
(It's the 22nd in Zild, as of this writing.)
Happy Birthday, Sweet Max. Much love.

Posted By: satin Re: To Max - 11/21/01 04:08 PM
How wonderful to be able to add my Birthday wishes to Avy and Max on the same day even though their birthdays are on different days. Have a terrific birthday you two!

(Thanks Jackie!)

Posted By: Bingley Re: To Max - 11/23/01 05:09 AM
Many belated confabulatory wishes for your birthday, Max.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org