Wordsmith.org
Posted By: rodward Away for a while II - 08/13/01 08:18 AM
As the last thread for abscences and travels got hijacked I'm starting a new one. I think we can see who is away more easily if this thread is restricted just to the abscence notice, with no ramblings, or even "have a good holiday" messages.
I'm away now until September 3rd or thereabouts - have a good time.
Rod

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Away for a while II - 08/13/01 09:02 PM
this thread is restricted just to the abscence notice, with no..."have a good holiday" messages.

oh. well, have a good holiday anyhow [rules? what rules?].

and i just though i'd let you all know i'm going down to the beach for a few hours. i trust you'll do okay in my extended absence.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Away for a while II - 08/13/01 09:16 PM
Irregardless of my wilfully incorrect use of words and phrases in this post, I will be "out of pocket" for the last two weeks of August, but am presently present.

Wow, it was hard to use that phrase that way. Never again.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Away for a while II - 08/13/01 11:07 PM
I'm headed for the loo... hope I don't get stalled.

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Away for a while II - 08/13/01 11:35 PM
Poor Rod, hijacked again!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Away for a while II - 08/13/01 11:44 PM
I might as well announce that my on-and-off attendance will continue for a while as I am concentrating on survival things - like a job and a house in Britain. I'm really only doing I&A and that is partly because I'm still announcing the instalments of the Great Big Travel Thingy ...

But I miss the fun, and I will be back full time ASAP.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Away for a while II - 08/14/01 02:18 AM
I'm headed for the loo... hope I don't get stalled.

ohmygawd tsuwm... you have me ROLLING with laughter.....

and hyla... any place interesting? we'll miss ya =)

since we're on the subject, i'll be camping aug 22-27.

and hurry back, capk!!!
Posted By: Marianna Re: Away for a while II - 08/14/01 09:09 AM
Well, I'm getting more and more busy with writing up, organising my move and planning for my near-future, so I might just as well say now that I probably won't be able to spend much time visiting the board over the next two to three weeks. And then I am moving away, and it's anybody's guess when I'll get myself back on the (I)internet... I'll try to keep in touch by e-mail with a few of you, but re-settling down is hard work, so I can't promise anything. I'll be back as soon as it's feasible...

Thanks for the friendship and fun. I miss this place already!

Posted By: Hyla Re: Away for a while II - 08/14/01 03:13 PM
hyla... any place interesting?

Oh so very interesting - a week of training for work, a day off for my elder son's birthday (he can't really be FOUR YEARS OLD, can he?), and then a work trip to the Arizona desert. Life's usual hodge-podge (and where does that word come from??).

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Away for a while II - 08/14/01 03:34 PM
Life's usual hodge-podge (and where does that word come from??)

atomica provides this:

Middle English hochepot, from Old French, mixture, stew : hocher, to shake together; see hotch + pot, pot.

neat =)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and a very happy birthday in advance to your biggest baby tree frog; hard to believe my own daughter is turning *five* just a day afterward. time's a-flyin, indeed.

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Away for a while II - 08/14/01 07:59 PM
Marianna....I miss this place already

We, too, miss you already. Hurry up with that writing and moving will you?

But first congratulations and best wishes for a bright future!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Away for a while II - 08/16/01 03:24 PM
I'll be away from my desk at work until Aug 29th, so my posting may be somewhat sporadic (even more so than is my wont) until then.
Among other things, I shall be spending time in a place called Barrow-in-Furness, where I am not sure that they have electricity, let alone computers.
But I'll appear whenever possible!

all the best until then!

Posted By: Bean Re: Away for a while II - 08/24/01 03:35 PM
Well, add my name to the list of "away for a while". I am on holiday August 28-Sept. 4, followed hot on the heels by a field trip Sept. 4 to 26. I may be able to glance at the Board during my holiday but probably not during my field trip. I'll miss you guys. Hope you all have fun while I'm gone!

Posted By: Marianna Re: Away for a while II - 08/31/01 10:54 AM
Ok, this is really it, folks... we're leaving on Tuesday and I don't think I'll be able to visit the board again before then. I'll be back as and when I can and let you know how things are going. Thanks for everything!

All the best for all of you,
Marianna

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Away for a while II - 08/31/01 01:34 PM
hasta la vista, Marianna - enjoy youself!

Posted By: maverick Re: Away for a while II - 08/31/01 10:25 PM
Breaking for a while. Thanks for all your good company.

Posted By: Jackie In anticipation... - 09/04/01 01:58 AM
Welcome back, Rod! We've missed you!

Posted By: Keiva Re: departure - 09/05/01 01:00 PM
I'm off shortly, returning next Monday evening.
Keiva

Posted By: consuelo Re: Away for a while II - 09/26/01 03:43 AM
Hey, Bean! Are you back yet? I will be home all day tomorrow if anyone would like to know.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Away for a while II - 09/26/01 11:53 AM
On vacation today thru October 5. Will miss AWADtalk friends! (And not looking forward to catching up on 10 days' worth of posts )

Posted By: maverick Re: Away for a while II - 09/26/01 12:04 PM
Have fun, Nancyk - going anywhere with an exciting name? [vaguely-word-related!]

Posted By: nancyk Re: Away for a while II - 09/26/01 12:17 PM
an exciting name

To me it is, i.e., exciting. Heading for the Eternal City, so may pick up some Italian words I can sprinkle into conversation: Ciao, all!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Away for a while II - 09/26/01 12:32 PM
Wherever you roam, remember......
There's no place like home

Posted By: Jackie Re: Away for a while II - 09/26/01 07:08 PM
There's no place like home
Also remember, nancyk: when at home, do as the "home-'uns"
do...

Posted By: Keiva Re: Away for a while II - 09/26/01 09:08 PM
And may all your roamin's be the best!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Away for a while II - 09/27/01 04:53 AM
Now, where's "home" exactly?

Posted By: consuelo Re: Away for a while II - 09/27/01 09:38 PM
Gee, CapK, I thought everybody knew...."Home is where the heart is."[sappy music in the background-e]

Posted By: belligerentyouth Over and out - 09/28/01 09:13 AM
I'm flying south for the winter with my better-half for an extended period, so I thought I'd make it known here - Rod would have wanted it that way :-)
The first stop on the journey will be Thailand. Although it's not my first time there, we will thankfully have an insider to give us pointers.
Some time later we will end up in Perth, my parent's home town and be in Sydney for New Year's. The time inbetween we'll be somewhere so isolated that I'll have to rock myself to sleep with thoughts of the 32Mbit internet connection I'm currently using.
Now that I'm escaping the cold, I sorry to have to admit how beautiful a time of year Autumn is in Europe.... so ..er, take a stroll in your closest deciduously-treed park or forest if time permits. And if you're Bingley, stales, or Paul then ignore that advice.

All the best,

Chris

Posted By: Jackie Re: Over and out - 09/28/01 10:28 AM
Good luck, enjoy, and keep safe, by. Let us hear when you can, hear?

Posted By: Bean Re: Away for a while II - 09/28/01 11:44 AM
Hi everyone, I have returned!

I spent a great week at my parents' place in Calgary, a week of madness. My Turkish friends came to visit from Edmonton, my brother and his friend joined us from Winnipeg, and my husband flew in from St. John's for a few days to make it a full house. There was much merriment, eating, and drinking - a typical Spanu family get-together.

Then I spent three weeks sitting in a boat on the Fraser river (near, but not in, Vancouver), watching salmon run upstream, both on the surface (incredible!) and with our sonars. We were testing out some new equipment, and the salmon migration on the Fraser is well-studied, which provided a perfect lab for our work, in case anyone asks why we travelled 7300 km (4500 miles) to watch fish swim!

While on the river, we saw salmon jumping - hundreds per day - as well as seals, herons, vultures, grebes, ospreys, and uncountable numbers of seagulls - mostly feasting on dead salmon - yuck! My supervisor saw a six-foot sturgeon jump (I missed that one). We amused ourselves listening to the tugboat operators on the VHF radios. We also took some day trips into Vancouver itself and ate great food - Italian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Indian - all the things which you can't find in St. John's. Of course, there was also lots and lots of traffic, people hurrying to be somewhere else, and too much smog. And, of course, the World Trade Centre disaster, which left an indelible mark on our trip.

So I'm glad to be back in St. John's, where life is a little slower, the people are a lot friendlier, and the longest it can take you to get from one end of town to the other is 15 minutes. It may take me a while to get back in the swing of things on the Board, because I have tons of work awaiting me. But I'm glad to be home!

Posted By: wow Re: Away for a while II - 09/28/01 02:14 PM
October is my busiest month of the year and this year shaping up to be more hectic than usual ... so I won't be entirely "gone" (I heard that!) but time for the Board severely limited ... maybe just an occasional popping in.
Happy autumn all!
wow

Posted By: consuelo Re: Away for a while II - 10/03/01 06:41 PM
I, also, will be away from the board for awhile. Nothing drastic but I feel the need to meditate instead of whatever it is I'm doing here. Anyone that has my private e-mail address is welcome to e-mail me but I might not even be turning on my computer for awhile. See you all again when I return.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Away for a while II - 10/05/01 11:28 AM
I'll be going out of town over the weekend for the first time since the bombing. Need to get away from the fire, which still smells quite strong in my neighborhood, and the general fugue of distress and absence of same. Also need to concentrate on work, again--to train myself to concentrate again, period. So I'm going to try to be out of here for a week or so. Here's hoping! ()

Disclaimer: this notice is only valid as of 5:30 pm EST on October 5.

Posted By: of troy Re: Over and out - 10/06/01 01:45 PM
like inselpeter, i too, am getting away this weekend (wash is done now, and I'm off) see you on tuesday.

meanwhile i hope the rest of you are planning your trips to NY.. for years, we have pumped money into US economy, and for a little while now, we are going to be a drain.. come see how your federal dollars are being spend.. ( and we'll let you come and spend, and buy retail too, and fleece you just as we always have.. some things don't change!)

and for all of you in more far flung places, you're welcome to-- we'll gladly take your money too!

© Wordsmith.org