Wordsmith.org
Posted By: musick My friends, words beseech me... - 07/23/01 05:04 AM
It is with great sorrow that I type these words.

BeingCJ passed away this evening in a tragedy that almost took the life of her two chidren and her Father. I apologize for the blunt nature of this post, however, I cannot reflect any clearer that which has occurred. PM's will be forwarded.

My guitar will gently weep...

Posted By: Jackie Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/23/01 09:52 AM
Keven...Keven...oh my God. Her new house, that she was so happy to be in...those poor children. Oh, I'm crying...

Posted By: maverick Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/23/01 01:57 PM
No words are enough

This is a chapter for the board we might have wished to never find written in such sorrow

All love to those left grieving

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt A few more inadequate words - 07/23/01 02:34 PM
Keven, too true no words can be of much avail, but be assured you and all those devastated by this tragedy are in my thoughts and prayers.

Please consider that the opening words of your post are significant: My Friends
We are, I believe, a large collection of friends here on AWADTalk, and friends mourn with each other, even when scattered over the four corners of the earth.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/23/01 02:55 PM
Oh no! I am so sorry, for her, for her family, for her friends, for us. *sob*

Posted By: nancyk Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/23/01 04:05 PM
How awful! Thoughts and prayers for Being CJ, her family and friends - and thankful that the tragedy wasn't compounded by the loss of the children and her father.

Posted By: Marianna Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/23/01 04:23 PM
Dear Keven,
I'm very sorry, and very saddened to hear about BeingCJ. I wish for inner strength for her family, her friends and yourself.
Your friend,
Marianna

Posted By: wow Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/23/01 05:02 PM
The news is like a physical blow ... such a tragedy .
Words fail....

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/23/01 05:19 PM
A shocking loss...stricken wordless, my thoughts are with her children and loved ones. And I pray for the childrens' speedy recovery, if injured.

Posted By: Jackie Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/23/01 06:49 PM
My tears are still coming for BeingCJ, her family, musick and her other friends including us. She was a friendly and nice lady. She was printing out CapK's travelogue, to take home and read to her girls. We miss you, Carol.

Posted By: maverick Re: For Keven - 07/23/01 08:01 PM
Keven, I cannot pray for & with you as some can - all I can offer is a few words from the heart

Common Tongue

A promise breaks:
Splintering shards of glass
That stab and slash us all with
Slivers of your pain
Worlds fall
Words fail

There will be times of
Flame upon the mountain
Blistering agonies of sulphurous flux
That coruscate the heart and sear the mind
Blinding torrents and
Angry shouts that leave no room for hope
No pause for breath

There will be later times:
Whole dreary oceans roll
In deep and doleful splendour
Across the cold sea floor
Crabwise and endless
Green and bitter
Numb and
Empty as a brittle shell
Where love’s light
Spills in sombre chill

Yet from these gasping depths we rise
Pressure on our chest
Iron in our throat
And in the keening bite of bitter wind
The living tang of salt:
A promise on
Our lips
A word given flight
A glimmer of warmth
And the sharing of breath on
Our common tongue

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 07/23/01 10:33 PM
Posted By: Jackie Re: For Keven - 07/24/01 12:31 AM
Yet from these gasping depths we rise
Pressure on our chest
Iron in our throat...

Maverick, you...I...oh...you do know, don't you? I can feel it, Dear Heart--we all can. Oh, Honey...I am riveted, and yet want to shut my eyes against the terrible beauty of your words, the truth---and I am ashamed, because it is not I who is living it. Bless you, love--bless you both.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/24/01 01:51 AM
What a shock this was when Faldage told me about it tonight. Sandra and I were stunned. My heart goes out to Carol's family. She was a very lovely person and she will, I'm sure, be missed by many other people as well as her friends here on the board.

Keven, this must have been very hard for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Posted By: Avy Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/24/01 05:00 AM
I'm sorry.

Posted By: rodward Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/24/01 08:22 AM
I did not know BeingCJ except through her posts. Yet I, like many of the board, feel a common sense of loss. I am also moved to express my sorrow for the family and the friends on the board who were close and must feel the loss more keenly. My thoughts are with you all.
Rod

Posted By: juanmaria Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/24/01 03:34 PM
A friend emailed me about BeingCJ tragedy.
After the initial shock I thought that the only thing I could do was reading her posts again. It has been an unforgettable experience.
Don't have more words.
http://wordsmith.org/board/showprofile.pl?Cat=&User=BeingCJ&Number=20444&Board=announcements&what=showthreaded&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&vc=1

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/24/01 06:15 PM
Like Rod, I knew Being CJ only through her posts, but this loss has brought home to me not only how true Donne's words are in general but htere particular relevance to those of us whose frienship exists through the board. I have never felt like an island, apart from mankind, but this has made me feel even more strongly how "every man's death diminishes me."

My deep sympathy to all of her family and close friends.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/25/01 05:21 AM
It did occur to me while remembering what little I knew of BeingCJ, how possible it is for something to happen to one of our valued friends here and the rest of us would never know anything about it, just notice that someone is missing. Some of us have offboard contacts with other members, others don't. I realise caution is probably desirable but even if it's just an occasional phone call maybe we should keep in touch with each other in other ways too.

Bingley
Posted By: paulb Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/25/01 12:08 PM
I've just returned from visiting my three boys and their partners in Melbourne to learn of BeingCJ's passing.

As I currently live alone, I consider all board members to be part of my larger 'family' and this news has saddened me deeply.

My condolences to BeingCJ's family and friends.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/25/01 01:02 PM
I looked back on BeingCJ's posts to remember her, and I just wanted to add my thoughts and condolences to those of all of us here. No words can express my sadness, and I feel even worse when I think of her friends and family.

Posted By: satin Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/25/01 01:13 PM
I grieve as we all do for this very special lady. I hate the thought of even one persons knowledge and opinions to be terminated from this wonderful forum. My tears & most of my prayers are for her children.

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 07/25/01 10:32 PM
The joy of becoming a grandmother (just a few days old) was tinged with sadness as I heard the news about Being CJ. I hope her family and friends will find solace in the many kind words sent their way,

Posted By: musick For Carol - 07/27/01 10:34 PM
On behalf of Carol's family and friends, I extend a sincere thanks to all of you for the love and the words you have shared. I would especially like to thank maverick for the words in "Common Tongue", and inform the members here that it will be displayed on an easel at her memorial service.

For those interested, her visitation-service will be held:
Mon. Aug 6th. 3-7:30-9pm
Cooney's
3552 N. Southport
Chicago, IL 60657-1436
Posted By: maverick Re: For Carol - 07/27/01 10:43 PM
I am stunned, and honoured, Keven.

Perhaps across the seas, words can join us in some small ways. Love to all at Carol's service.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Being CJ - Terrible news - 07/28/01 12:42 PM
Words aren't always the best way to express our feelings. Hugs and pats are better. You have mine. As Bingley stated, something could happen to any of us and how would anyone know? I found out about this post because Keven failed to respond to an e-mail I sent him, so I pulled up his info and saw this post. I was so sorry to read this, but heartened by the outpouring of love from this AWAD family of ours.

consuelo
Posted By: Jackie Keeping track - 07/28/01 02:18 PM
something could happen to any of us and how would anyone know?
I was just telling someone yesterday how neat it is, that so many of us consider the board members as another family.
I have the feeling that this is fairly unusual on the 'net.
It also occurred to me that, tragic though it is, Carol's
passing has done some good, in helping to both spotlight and solidify that feeling, by pointing out not only how fragile a human being is, but also how tenuous our hold on each other here is. We seem to have opened our hearts this week as we never have before.

I love my friends, and I hate losing people. Here is what I have done about that for here. Some people know how to contact me directly, and I know how to contact some directly, though a time or two, I had to beg. I have written out instructions for my husband on how to make a post right here, should something happen to me, and I hope he can and will do that. For those of us who don't have anyone to do that, the only thing I can think of is to consider letting someone know how to contact a family member or friend, in your absence. This of course requires a high level of trust, and understanding that this info. will not be abused. For what it's worth, I do not think it is a good idea for our private phone numbers and addresses to be on the internet, even on Max's site. My instructions to my husband include that, should something happen to me, that anyone who has my address can feel free to give it to any board member who asks for it.

I would like to think that everyone here could be accounted for, in case of unexplained disappearance, but I know that not everyone is comfortable with that. For me, it is not a matter of being nosy or keeping tabs, it is a matter of that if something is wrong, I want to be able to say I'm sorry, and to offer help if possible. I'm still upset over losing David 108--he had started teaching me Afrikaans, and
he just...vanished.

I feel rather presumptuous in saying this, but for any member who doesn't feel comfortable sharing personal contact info. with anyone in particular, if you'd care to send it to me, I promise not to abuse it.

Posted By: Marianna Re: Keeping track - 07/28/01 02:58 PM
I do entirely agree with Jackie that we have a tenuous hold on each other here. Obviously, some information is shared with others, such as e-mail addresses and such, but I would say that only a very few have established the kind of friendship that allows more direct contact, such as phoning people or knowing their address. As she also points out, this is all a matter of personal choice, of what each of us is comfortable with, and so it should remain.

But it appears that many of us care enough, and feel close enough to other members to want to know if anything should happen to someone. The outpouring of sorrow over Carol's passing has made that quite evident. And I think there are a couple of things that we can all do to make it easier for all of us to know if anything does happen:

One is, tell a good friend of yours about the board. Someone who you think would enjoy the interaction and all the learning. We found out about Carol from Keven, since they were friends out there, and were both coming here to contribute to our ramblings. Of course, this is also a great thing, since we get to have new contributions!

Two is, let others know if you are going to be away for a long while, just so people don't start wondering or worrying unnecessarily. I, for one, will be moving back to Spain in a few weeks, and I will probably not have Internet access until I am well settled. One of the things that I had planned on doing was either make a leeetle post explaining, or simply send a few private messages to let other members know that I was temporarily leaving (maybe all this won't be necessary after this post?). You know, just in case anyone got to wonderin'.

Just some thoughts...

Posted By: maverick Re: Keeping track - 07/28/01 04:57 PM
Good sentiments, Jackie and Marianna.

Now, by the time we have had our first Big Meet...

it's gotta happen... "make the field and they will come"

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Keeping track - 07/28/01 10:28 PM
I too agree with Jackie and Marianna. How about the next person who is going to leave for a "protracted" (and that is relative, of course) period of time start a thread here in Info & Announcements to let others know. And it can be the thread for all of us to use for the same purpose. So far we've kind of been doing that haphazardly, with a "by the way, I'll be gone for the next two weeks" in our last post, wherever that may have occurred, but I think it would be a good idea to have a single thread for this purpose. That is, until we decide it isn't.

I have been in a number of chatrooms and bulletin boards in my five years on the net, and not a one has come close to approaching the level of comraderie and sheer civility of this board. Yes, there are moments that are less than civil, but compared to my experience in other net places they don't even count.

Posted By: Wordsmith Re: My friends, words beseech me... - 08/05/01 04:45 PM
Our deep sympathies to the family of BeingCJ on their loss and peace to the departed soul.

Posted By: Jackie HER SERVICE - 08/09/01 01:18 PM
I had thought sweet Keven might post about it, but perhaps it is too hard for him, so I am.

I was able to attend Carol's service, and felt that I was representing the entire board, since Keven was there as her friend as well as fellow board member. I got to see her picture--you could tell she was a lovely and loving person.
She obviously had lots of friends--there was SRO, about ten deep at the back. I heard someone say that there were people who would not be alive today, had it not been for Carol.

One of her daughters was still in a wheelchair from the injuries in the accident, for all the world holding court like a little princess. Both girls are adorable.

Keven had been asked to speak, and did a wonderful job.
That reminds me--there were two other board representatives there, in words not in person. WhitmanO'Neill sent Keven the Native American poem, which Keven did read. It was perfect. Maverick's poem got some attention, also, in its lovely frame on the table next to Keven's flowers. I saw one lady whom I believe was copying it down.

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: HER SERVICE - 08/10/01 02:04 AM
I was able to attend Carol's service, and felt that I was representing the entire board

Jackie, that was beautiful, what you did. We are always learning from you, what it is to be a friend.

Posted By: Jackie Re: HER SERVICE - 08/10/01 04:24 PM
Thank you, Dear Heart. It felt right for me to go.

© Wordsmith.org