Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow New AWAD Titles sought. - 06/14/01 03:05 PM
Received this message from AWAD HQ today :
We're open to the names for future titles. Please raise the issue on the board and give us suggestions.

Ready? Set! GO!
wow
High Priestess

Title corrected after a "gentle nudge" (see thread) and boy am I ing!

Posted By: maverick Re: New AWAD themes sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 03:51 PM
Wow, you have titled this about 'Themes' and your own contribution suggests that to me also, but isn't it possible to read this as an invitation to dream up appropriate new names for titles (as in, life-beyond-pooh-bah)?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: New AWAD themes sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 03:55 PM
Words to describe blabbermouths.

Conversationalist
Bombast
Blabbermouth
Earchewer

Posted By: tsuwm Re: New AWAD themes sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 04:00 PM
>appropriate new names for titles

we need clarification on this before it gets out of hand!

Posted By: Faldage Re: New AWAD titles sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 04:02 PM
an invitation to dream up appropriate new names for titles

I, too, boggled for a moment trying to decide titles for what. I thought perhaps titles for new fora and couldn't think of anything. But mav's suggestion sounds like the right one to me. I'll need some time to think of some.

Posted By: wow Re: New AWAD themes sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 04:05 PM
isn't it possible to read this as an invitation to dream up appropriate new names for titles (as in, life-beyond-pooh-bah)?

YES YES YES, Because I sent the page about the titles to AWAD HQ ...Banging head on desk
I will change the title IF I can !
Later edit : Ok I changed it to TITLES ...
so the question is what are suggestions for titles beyond Pooh-Bah ?

Posted By: wwh Re: New AWAD titles sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 04:08 PM
Forgive me for feeling that additional categories seem superfluous, since we cannot even keep "Miscellany" adequately replenished.

Posted By: tsuwm deleted due to following false trail... - 06/14/01 04:09 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: After Pooh-Bah - 06/14/01 04:09 PM
Head banger.

Posted By: Faldage Re: New AWAD titles sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 04:11 PM
Dr. Bill notes: additional categories seem superfluous
Exactly the reason I had problems with the thought that he was looking for new forum categories. As for me, I can't remember where a given post is.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: New AWAD titles sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 04:12 PM
>additional categories seem superfluous, since we cannot even keep "Miscellany"

well, it seems that we now have a *third (3rd) interpretation!

a) AWAD weekly themes
b) AWADtalk user titles
c) AWADtalk categories

good luck to you, wow, in sorting this one out!

Posted By: wow Re: Titles beyond Pooh Bah - 06/14/01 04:15 PM
My abject apology for causing the confusion.
(groveling in the dust before you all -e)

Not a new category, not a new theme, the TITLE request is for the information of The Great Anu and his Wonderful Worker Bees as to our preferences for what titles could be awarded after the exalted rank of Pooh-Bah. I think this came as a result of the general disapprobation of the present ascendancy of titles after Pooh Bah.
wow
Please forgive and offer titles. Please?
Posted By: wow Re: Titles beyond Pooh Bah - 06/14/01 04:29 PM
The thread with the titles is "Nothing like spoiling the punchline" and the ranks are given thusly:
(If you don't want to know don't drag your cursor across the following.)
0-24 stranger
25-49 newbie
50-99 journeyman
100-199 member
200-399 enthusiast
400-699 addict
700-1,199 old hand
1,200-1,599 veteran
1,600-2,499 Pooh-Bah
2,500-3,999 Carpal Tunnel
4,000-9,999 Turtle
10,000-? Master Aster :)

Posted By: Hyla Re: Titles beyond Pooh Bah - 06/14/01 04:43 PM
If I recall a semi-recent wwftd correctly, aeolist might be a proper fit, in keeping with Sparteye's suggestions.

(And "bombast" seems to be a category error, relative to the other suggestions - shouldn't it be one who produces bombast? Perhaps bombastard?)

Posted By: Sparteye Re: New AWAD themes sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 04:56 PM
...and akin to incessant talkers, terms to describe prolific writers. A person with many, many, many posts just ought to be called Steven King.

Posted By: wow Re: New AWAD themes sought. Act now! - 06/14/01 05:26 PM
Hey, wait a sec, Sparteye ... there is one and only one King around here and his name is Anu!

How about Board Master for the *very *top ranking?
Or is that leaving the person open for Bored Master puns? You out there somewhere TEd?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Harrumph® - 06/14/01 11:39 PM
Why does any of it matter?

Posted By: teresag Re: Harrumph® - 06/15/01 03:45 AM
Supreme High Time-Waster? *from one aspiring to the title herself*

Posted By: Bingley Re: New AWAD Titles sought. Act now! - 06/15/01 04:34 AM
Harmless Drudge
Lexist Pig

Bingley
Posted By: maverick Re: Harrumph® - 06/15/01 10:27 AM
Why does any of it matter? harrumphs half our tag team.

Well, the linguist’s Halliday-inspired answer might be: what we do here is produce collaborative texts with both ideational meaning and interpersonal meaning – the need to express not only ideas but also our social relationships with others.

We just have to make sure there is some kind of balance of content and context, to avoid sounding like the tedious yapping of stray dogs!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Harrumph® - 06/15/01 11:11 AM
Again, maverick quickly arrives at the essence of what I poorly try to articulate as he Ockhams the need to express not only ideas but also our social relationships with others.

Hear, hear. Notherwise, the tag-team wouldn't have made any kind of announcement here. But I still think all this stuff about chat titles is a bit silly, she said, harrumphing* and enjoying rocking the boat.

*patent pending

Posted By: wow Re: Titles Harrumph® - 06/15/01 02:03 PM
But I still think all this stuff about chat titles is a bit silly,

Aww, c'mon Anna, Cheer up! Your title ideas are sure to be imaginative if you just get your own self into the spirit of the endeavour!
We just can't let Anu down ... especially after we ragged so on the standard titles ?!?! and Heaven knows there have been comments enough about titles in dozens of threads, n'est ce pas?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Species Alert! - 06/16/01 01:02 AM
Has anyone ever seen a Carpal Tunnel Turtle? I, for one, prefer the Carpal Tunnel Rat!

And, now, on a more serious note, how about Word Guru , or something simple like Bard or
Grand Bard ...not that the last has anything to do with ageism (ahem).

Posted By: nikeblack Re: Species Alert! - 06/16/01 02:20 AM
Bard -on

OK. How about *no titles at all?

how about, in ass-ending order:

Pundit (especially for our Francophiles)

Humpty

Jabberwock

Posted By: wow Re: Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers - 06/18/01 05:02 PM
Pundit (especially for our Francophiles)

And Boffin for our Brit chums?

Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers is a terrific book, especially the Flack Catchers part, for aspiring reporters ... Hi AnnS
Posted By: Scribbler Re: Post-Poohbah Era - 06/18/01 05:04 PM
The pseudo-mythic Flaw Firm of Barnum, Blarney & Balderdash (the specialites of which firm include, inter alia, anti-intelllectual property flaw, has scribbled the following suggestions :
"Grandiloqwonk" "Philologolistissimus" "Logomaniac" "Rara Avis" and "Logolist-in- Chief"
Scribbler rather likes "Mot Justiciar" "Logomach" and "Wordwarder" (and "Warden" in some of its several senses, would also be interesting?!)

What Francophiles?

Posted By: Brandon Re: Jabberwock - 06/19/01 02:33 AM
maverick has suggested Jabberwock.

I haven't been able to get this one out of my head all day. Looks like I know where my vote is going (oh, yeah, this isn't a democracy).

Jabberwock, unlike the other suggested titles, is rooted within the field that has drawn us borogoves together.

Brandon (who celebrates his first triple-digit post by raising his vorpal sword in the air and chanting "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Bandersnatch - 06/19/01 04:28 AM
Bandersnatch! ...for who's more frumious than an ascending Pooh-Bah?

Posted By: rodward Re: Bandersnatch - 06/19/01 10:42 AM
Word Prefect
as a pun on "Word Perfect" and "Ford Prefect" and implying the Prefect monitoring role as at school?

I like many of the suggestions already made. Can we change ALL the levels or just the ones higher than Pooh Bah?

Rod

Posted By: wow Re: Titles beyond Pooh Bah - 06/19/01 06:57 PM
Rodward gave me pause by asking Can we change ALL the levels or just the ones higher than Pooh Bah?

I went back and read the note I rec'd from AWAD HQ and sure enough I had copied and pasted OK ... so, since the note said "We're open to the names for future titles" it would seem that FUTURE is the cause for the question.
I presumed the future meant those not already awarded ... but, what the heck, suggest away!

The question was raised about why we needed titles at all ... I can empathize with the feeling ... on the other hand -- for myself -- I find that I am more patient with Strangers and Newbies just as I am more patient with children than with adults.
It's a character flaw! Ahhh, well.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Titles beyond Pooh Bah - 06/19/01 07:31 PM
I'm with ASp on this issue. I think the titles have been a horrible (an 'orrible) [but not terrible?] distraction. on the other hand, I have no aspirations to become a turtle (why turtle?) and I will retire/expire before submitting to "master aster" (I don't even want to know!)

well, obviously we're never going to reach concensus on this, so some benevolent god/goddess will have to decide what to submit to the G&P one. were it up to me, I would choose thusly:
2500 - whangdoodle
5000 - nonesuch
10000 - Icarus

oh, wait... upon second thinking, aster might be meant to be that suffix denoting partial resemblance
: one that is inferior or not genuine; as in, poetaster or criticaster.
in which case, masteraster...

Posted By: squid Re: Bandersnatch - 06/20/01 09:37 AM
How 'bout Snark?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Titles beyond Pooh Bah - 06/20/01 07:23 PM
we are open to names for future titles

Well, since it seems that Anu means to look at all suggestions and surprise us with his picks, here's some I scribbled down without posting (until now)...good, bad, winceable, or otherwise. Lest they should go to waste.

Bogart (for you could say the post-Pooh-Bahs are bogarting the board!)

Speilunker

Boardosaurus

Wordosaur (--saurus)

Word Dervish

Pooh-Pooh Bah (sorry...but why waste it?)

© Wordsmith.org