Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sparteye AWAD payee? - 06/13/01 07:31 PM
So, regarding donations to AWAD, does anybody know to whom one makes out the check? Friends of AWAD? Wordsmith?

http://wordsmith.org/awad/friends.html

Posted By: Hyla Re: AWAD payee? - 06/13/01 07:35 PM
The link didn't work for me - got a "Not found" message and some suggestions for other parts of AWAD to visit.

Also - what prompted this? Did AWAD solicit funds, or did you just feel that the tax refund check you'll be getting courtesy of Dubya should go to a good cause?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: AWAD payee? - 06/13/01 07:47 PM
There was a link for donations in the AWAD letter from a few weeks ago, and it's been on my to-do list. Here's the excerpt from the letter:

If you like, you can contribute in two ways:

o Business sponsor
You can sponsor an AWADmail mailing with an ad about your product
or service. Please email sponsor@wordsmith.org with your details.

o Friends of AWAD
Individual contributors can donate whatever amount they are comfortable
with. Please see http://wordsmith.org/awad/friends.html for details.

Neither of these is mandatory. You are welcome to enjoy AWAD for free.
We'd be unhappy if even one subscriber dropped out because of this
suggested donation. Your interest, passion, love of words, and feedback
more than pay us back.

Here's what the page at the link says:

Friends of AWAD
If you would like to help us meet the costs of providing this free newsletter, a cheque for any sum would be welcome. Our mailing address is:
Wordsmith.Org
P.O. Box 202
Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-0202
USA

Please include your name and email address. Also, let us know if you prefer not to have your name and email address published in the list of donors.

Business Sponsorship
If you would like to be a business sponsor and put an ad in our mailings, contact sponsor@wordsmith.org with details.
Please note that none of these is required. We would be sorry if even one subscriber dropped out because of this suggestion. Your interest, passion, love of words and feedback are more than enough for us.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: AWAD payee? - 06/13/01 08:22 PM
Aha!

This inadvertently answers an age-old burning question. Reynoldsburg, eh?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: AWAD payee? - 06/13/01 08:28 PM
well, it's a fur piece from Cleveland and the lake... and the river too, for that matter.

Posted By: Faldage Re: AWAD payee? - 06/13/01 08:35 PM
A hundred fifty some odd miles SW of Cleveland

Posted By: Brandon Re: AWAD payee? - 06/14/01 01:56 PM

The recently-mentioned Smithsonian article gives some good details (and a good picture of him on his unicycle). Anu earned a Masters in computer sciences at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, and he now works for AT&T as a consultant in Columbus. And about the $$$, it says he currently pays over $400 a month to keep the servers up and running.

And this is what he says about writing that monthly cheque: I receive what you could call psychic income from AWAD. And with the grace of God we can afford it, so it doesn't bother us.

What a man he is.

Brandon

Posted By: wow Re: AWAD payee? - 06/14/01 03:14 PM
Sparteye: Why not send the check direct to address given in body of the message?
If you would like to help us meet the costs of providing this free newsletter, a cheque for any sum would be welcome. Our mailing address is:
Wordsmith.Org
P.O. Box 202
Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-0202
USA

If I could afford it, I'd make it out to "Anu Garg, AWAD"
and note the check face "contribution to AWAD"
Does this make sense to anyone else?
wow

© Wordsmith.org