Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jimthedog Hamlet in Latin - 06/11/01 09:42 PM
Can anyone give me the "To be or not to be" speech from Hamlet in Latin?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/11/01 10:22 PM
Hmmm . . . contemplating death in a dead language. Why?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/11/01 10:57 PM
Indeed. Why?

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/12/01 08:45 AM
There was an author I've heard of, I can't remember his name, who wrote stories about death and ghosts and such in Yiddish because, he said, these types of stories were best written in a language that was dead, or nearly dead. That's why. I would do it myself if I knew Latin.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/12/01 05:50 PM
language that was dead, or nearly dead. That's why. I would do it myself if I knew Latin.

OK....I still don't get why. If you don't know Latin, presumably you won't be able to read it, so what will you do with it once you have it? The rationale escapes me.

Posted By: Faldage Psst, nancyk - 06/12/01 05:53 PM
Shhh

We're doing his homework for him.

Don't tell nobody.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Psst, nancyk - 06/12/01 06:07 PM
Thanks, Faldage! Nobody finds out nothin from me .

(Of course, no one should read that as an unwitting comment on my lack of wit.)

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/12/01 07:47 PM
I'm not sure but could it be something like "Vini, vidi, vinci"?.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Psst, nancyk - 06/12/01 08:29 PM
We're doing his homework for him.

. . . ignoring the fact that school is out for the summer already.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Psst, nancyk - 06/12/01 08:44 PM
>ignoring the fact that school is out...

it's hard, ain't it hard, for most of us OPs to recall what it's like having significant time off, don't you know.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: homework - 06/12/01 08:46 PM
This OP remembers such a thing as summer school.

Posted By: of troy Schools out? - 06/12/01 08:49 PM
No Jazz--Not in NY-- NYC has one of the latest school end of term days-- NY State is a little earlier--
Most NYC school haven't had gratuation yet.. and classes usually continue till about June 20th or so-- sometime even later.. My kids are beyond "school days" but I still see school buses in the morning on the way to work, so i know school is still open. For NYC the first day of school in the fall is the Monday after labor day-- sometimes as late as September 15th! (like language-- the school schedule is one that has local variences! by law a NYC school year is a minimum of 180 days-- 188 are usually scheduled-- extra in case of "snow holiday's")

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Schools out? - 06/13/01 09:24 AM
Today is my last day. And what with the new test for 8th graders, I haven't gotten homework. And even if they did teach Latin here, you're only allowed to take one language. I know because I wanted to take French and Spanish, but they wouldn't let me. No matter. The French teacher doesn't work here anymore.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: You call that school? - 06/13/01 02:21 PM
I'm sincerely sorry for you, JimBowwow. What a crummy school district you must be in; what you have told us is disgraceful. Your interest in languages in most commendable, especially since the adults in your community don't seem to care about language. I can only suggest that you get whatever instruction you can from whoever you can find, even if you have to mow a lot of lawns to pay for it. Meanwhile, keep asking here for help, now that we know how badly you need it. I might even think about Hamlet (no promises).

Posted By: Faldage Re: To be or not to be - 06/13/01 02:30 PM
Esse aut non esse.

Or something like that. Wouldn't care right now to go into the whole thang.

Posted By: wow Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/13/01 02:54 PM
Jimdog : Try this
http://www.google.com/search?q="Hamlet"+in+Latin&btnG=Google+Search It may take you direct to the list, if not, and a box comes up type in -- "Hamlet" in Latin -- (without the -- )and click search.
In the body of the first entry there is a note that Hamlet in Latin is available from Danish source. Only read first entry on list so mayhap others have even more info.

Tsuwm, do you live where there is no snow? Helen's right about school ... we are still in session and because of snowy winter it may be about 20th before school's out.
wow

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/13/01 03:35 PM
>Tsuwm, do you live where there is no snow?

on the contrary, we have so much snow that it takes a veritable mother-of-all-blizzards to get a snow-day declared; otherwise there would be no summer break, don't you see. this is very frustrating for the kids, who are reduced to hoping that the electricity fails or the pipes freeze.

Posted By: of troy Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/13/01 04:21 PM
update-- i checked this AM with some "commuter students" who take the same train as i -- the last day of class for HS is today-- a week of finals-- and then final day if class is june 27th.

NYC is loath to close schools for snow too, too many parents count on schools and afterschool programs for "childcare". the "big storm" that the weather service predicted (and that never quite materialized) resulted in 1 snow day this past winter.. first snow day in about 5 years..

Its not just the snow-- NY isn't too bad--(city-- state is an other story) but its the grades.. many roads in east are old road.. and have never been re-graded-- I have found steeper grades on road in New England than i did when driving cross country-- and crossing the rockies! US I-80 had grade signs posted 5%, 6%, 8%-- that not a grade-- 12% (not at all uncommon in NE,) 17%, not unknown-- thats a grade! add some snow or ice.. and no one is moving anywhere -- except down hill! fast!

Posted By: Hyla Re: You call that school? - 06/13/01 04:28 PM
Jim - unsolicitedly tacking onto some of Bob's advice, if you're really interested in learning a foreign language, you need to get abroad (note single entendre here). When I was in high school I was an exchange student in Italy, through AFS (http://www.afs.org/) and it was the start of my love of travel and joy in learning-by-doing in language study. I was fortunate enough to get a scholarship through the public school system (which somehow overlooked the fact that I had already studied several years of Spanish, and offered me a free trip to Italy ) - so money needn't always be an issue in such things.
Posted By: jimthedog Re: Hamlet in Latin - 06/13/01 07:19 PM
I tried googling it, but I didn't find anything; only Hamlet specifically, and Latin specifically.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 06/13/01 09:00 PM

© Wordsmith.org