Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Scribbler A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/04/01 05:07 AM
Having perforce been absent myself (owing to the exigencies and concerns of the Real World) for a week or more, I returned to review the news of this particular corner of the universe. As I did so, it occurred to me that there are many NEW contributors ( to whom I will, following the lead of others, add my personal, somewhat belated welcome.) It further occurred to me that there are many "old friends" from whom we have not heard in some time. I will not arrogate to self the right - or the duty! - of toasting all of such persons, but will initiate a "thread" ( my command of the idioms of this Forum is lamentable) to prompt any who may wish to do so to add to my list of such honored absentees. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF AWAD, PLEASE STAND AT YOUR KEYBOARDS, RAISE YOUR VIRTUAL CYBER-GLASSES (or should it be "cyber virtual-glasses?) TO TOAST TWO "ABSENT FRIENDS", "FATHER STEVE" AND "SHANKS". WE MISS YOUR WIT AND WISDOM, WE HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU AND LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU IN THE COURSE OF TIME! (Add appropriate expressions of choice wishing good health, etc. to the honorees.)
Poster's note: 1) As I recall, our friend Shanks had advised that he was going to be incommunicado for a while. Any further news?
2) As for Father Steve, the last I heard was that he was planning "to have his nuptials vowed" (acting pro se, ex officio?) Of course, the HONEYMOON is never REALLY over, but the usual progression ( not one, I should have thought, for Father Steve) is a segue to a time of "Honey-do this" and "Honey-do that".
Gentlemen, we miss you.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/04/01 05:47 AM
Welcome 'home', carus scribbler!! i trust your trip was relaxing.

I'd like to add, if i might, a couple of names to the list of those i miss:

jo(who's posted but once in the last month, IIRC)
bel(wasn't her move date June 1?? she told me about some strange thing in canada, where everyone moves on the same day. must be h*ll trying to book movers.)
marty (it's been *months* since we've heard from him)
hyla (yeah, yeah, new house, new baby on the way... but let's not forget your AWAD family, dear)

and of course, we miss CapK already (and when might we expect the next installment?? aren't the 2½ days up yet??)

i'm quite certain i'm forgetting some folks....

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/04/01 01:57 PM
When last heard from, Shanks advised he was off to the U.S. Awaiting with great anticipation his return.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/04/01 01:57 PM
And TEd too!

Posted By: wwh Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/04/01 02:13 PM
And dear Max Q has been regrettably silent.

Posted By: Hyla Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/04/01 03:33 PM
Of Troy very kindly e-mailed me this thread. Thanks very much for the kind words, gang.

We moved this weekend - 15 friends showed up to help, I got a HUGE truck, and we did the entire move, from start to finish, in under 3 hours. It was great. I spent Saturday afternoon unpacking madly, and Saturday night in the new hot tub.

Baby's due two weeks from tomorrow, but we're expecting it to come a bit sooner - will keep y'all posted.

Hope to read some posts, and even post a bit, some time soon. At last count I was well over 1000 posts behind - when does one just decide that catching up is impossible?

Posted By: maverick Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/05/01 12:33 AM
and sweet Nemo hasn't posted this week, I think.

and I am getting worried about tsuwm, several minutes have passed...

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/05/01 06:31 AM
Catching up is never impossible, at least that's what I tell myself. I still haven't started the 8303 Miscellany posts which are still marked unread....

Rapport was established superficially.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/05/01 12:15 PM
I still haven't started the 8303 Miscellany posts which are still marked unread....

Too bad you can't find time to view them, since that's where all my witty, erudite bon mots* are posted. [in-case-you-were-wondering-where-I-hid-them emoticon]

* Per aenigma: Bonanza Motel

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/05/01 06:32 PM

I've heard it's a bitch getting here from Tol Eressea, specially in rush-hour elvish traffic ...

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/05/01 06:39 PM

I've heard it's a bitch getting here from Tol Eressea, specially in rush-hour elvish traffic

So what are the palantirs for, then? Should be safe now that Barad Dur has fallen!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/06/01 09:09 AM
So what are the palantirs for, then? Should be safe now that Barad Dur has fallen!

Yeah, but the queue! And the gap into each is kinda small. Designed by a dwarvish committee, no doubt. And Barad Dur was designed by the same guy who designed St Pancras station, so you can imagine waiting for the next available slot on a palantir!

Posted By: wwh Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/06/01 04:47 PM
I have missed seeing posts by Inselpeter. I'm still grateful to him for giving me link to Burnside site.

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/07/01 06:00 AM
As opposed to all your other bon mots....

[wondering-how-to-do-emoticons-emoticon]

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/07/01 06:02 AM
Or should that be bons mot?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/07/01 12:32 PM
It is bon mots. Unless you are aenigma, in which case it is Bonanza Motel.

Posted By: Faldage Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/07/01 01:28 PM
I like Bonanza Motel better. The beds are more comfortable.

Posted By: maverick Re: A Toast to "Absent Friends" - 06/07/01 03:20 PM
Is that a cactus, or are you just [deleted by gutter police]

© Wordsmith.org