Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen DDoS? - 05/25/01 07:42 AM
Does anybody know why the site was down so long? Was it a DDoS attack, or something less sinister? I could scarcely believe my luck when coming back just now and seeing no new posts, after nearly 12 hours away.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: DDoS? - 05/25/01 08:34 AM
Last night? I have no idea. I just know that that, combined with my brother annoying me, made me very mad.

jimthedog
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: DDoS? - 05/25/01 09:59 AM
The server must have been down. My finger twitched on the refresh button for about 15 mins and the site appeared. Let us just drink and be merry for tomorrow Cable & Wireless may collapse.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: DDoS? - 05/25/01 10:33 AM
I'm glad, in a perverse way, to know it wasn't an idio-Mac attack, she said, twitching & heading in for her fix.

Posted By: wow Re: DDoS? - 05/25/01 02:05 PM
"What's a DDoS ?" she asked displaying, yet once again, her complete lack of knowlege of computer-ese.

Since I didn't check last night I was saved the frustration.
Commiseration to all who tried and were disappointed.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: DDoS? - 05/25/01 03:41 PM
[WARNING: lay person's definition follows]

DDoS = distributed denial of service. It is an internet attack on a website, comprised of sending requests/queries to the site in such volumn and speed as to tie up the resources of the server, thus denying service to legimate users. The "distributed" part comes from the hacker's use of others' computers as dummies to make the requests.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Dogs - 05/25/01 05:50 PM
Last night? I have no idea. I just know that that, combined with my brother annoying me, made me very mad.

If it's any consolation, your brother annoys me, too.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Dogs - 05/25/01 05:56 PM
Thanks.

jimthedog
Posted By: BeingCJ Re: DDoS? - 05/25/01 05:59 PM
I was on when it went down around 4 last evening. It never threw me off, but I couldn't move around either. It was still down when I finished teaching last night. At first I thought it was something in our system because all our applications were running slow.

CJ
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 03:05 AM
What makes everyone think it was an attack? Servers do funny things for all sorts of reasons. They were (up until yesterday ) the bane of my existence. Well, one of the banes, shall we say? Has someone talked to someone who works with the AWAD servers?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 03:19 AM
CK claims that servers have been pernicious to his well-being

I was unable to update my web-site all week due to server problems. imagine what it's like trying to get AmericaOnLine (HA!) to admit that they have a bad server. ("You stupid fool... clean out your cache... reinstall your aol adapter... delete ALL your temporary files, especiall those darnn cookies")
i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take it any moreDSL or broadband cable??

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 04:12 AM
What makes everyone think it was an attack?

I guess that DDoSs have been on my mind recently after a security-related forum that I frequent was hit by several of them over the last few weeks.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 05:31 AM
Well, I suggest that people take a peek at the "A Week in the Life of a Help Desk Operator" on your i-drive for some other possibilities ...

Posted By: musick Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 02:43 PM
...They were (up until yesterday ) the bane of my existence. They are still mine!

CK - Does this mean your spirit begins its travels? Your soul is no longer owed to the company store? You bashed your alarm clock with a sledge hammer this morning?

One of my favorite things servers do is "run out of space".

Posted By: wow Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 02:50 PM
DDoS = distributed denial of service.
Thank you Sparteye.

It is an internet attack on a website
People do this on purpose?
Why?

Posted By: jimthedog Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 02:52 PM
Why?

Because they are idiots.

jimthedog
Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 02:56 PM
It is an internet attack on a website
Why?

Why do people hunt anymore? It's for the challenge of the "sport".

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: DDoS? - 05/26/01 07:22 PM
CK - Does this mean your spirit begins its travels? Your soul is no longer owed to the company store? You bashed your alarm clock with a sledge hammer this morning?

I'm now gainfully unemployed ... we head south to get used to English winters later this week!

© Wordsmith.org