Wordsmith.org
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Sanctity of Books - 06/06/13 04:16 PM
Books were so precious in the Middle Ages that monks invoked curses against any who might steal them:

This book belongs to S. Maximin at his monastery of Micy, which abbat Peter caused to be written, and with his own labour corrected and punctuated, and on Holy Thursday dedicated to God and S. Maximin on the altar of S. Stephen, with this imprecation that he who should take it away from thence by what device soever, with the intention of not restoring it, should incur damnation with the traitor Judas, with Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate. Amen.

Should anyone by craft or any device whatever abstract this book from this place may his soul suffer, in retribution for what he has done, and may his name be erased from the book of the living and not be recorded among the Blessed.

This book belongs to S. Alban. May whosoever steals it from him or destroys its title be anathema. Amen.

May whoever destroys this title, or by gift or sale or loan or exchange or theft or by any other device knowingly alienates this book from the aforesaid Christ Church, incur in this life the malediction of Jesus Christ and of the most glorious Virgin His Mother, and of Blessed Thomas, Martyr. Should however it please Christ, who is patron of Christ Church, may his soul be saved in the Day of Judgment.

These are from The Care of Books, by John Willis Clark, 1901. Happily, in 1212 a council met at Paris to decree that “We forbid those who belong to a religious Order, to formulate any vow against lending their books to those who are in need of them; seeing that to lend is enumerated among the principal works of mercy. … From the present date no book is to be retained under pain of incurring a curse, and we declare all such curses to be of no effect.”
Posted By: Jackie Re: Sanctity of Books - 06/07/13 12:20 AM
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sanctity of Books - 06/07/13 12:24 AM
The 'seen' and the 'unseen'.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Sanctity of Books - 06/07/13 01:09 AM
heh
Posted By: winwalk Re: Sanctity of Books - 10/22/13 06:14 AM
the 'unseen'
Posted By: Faldage Re: Sanctity of Books - 10/22/13 10:57 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
This book belongs to S. Maximin at his monastery of Micy...

In her Columba aspexit Hildegard of Bingen says of St. Maximin "you are the mount and the valley", O Maximine,
mons et vallis es
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sanctity of Books - 10/22/13 06:37 PM
He must have been very highly regarded to get the acclaim
of Heldegard.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Sanctity of Books - 10/22/13 11:23 PM
I was just amused by the maximin-mount/valley thing.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Sanctity of Books - 10/23/13 03:39 PM

Click to reveal..

...it took me a moment, but now I get you. Amusement, yes.
Posted By: Cowboy_Monkey Re: Sanctity of Books - 04/22/15 12:10 AM
TAKE NOT THIS BOOK...for fear and shame,
Cowboy Monkey is not thou name.
For when you die and the Lord doth say,
"WHERE IS THE BOOK, you took that day?"
You'll bow your head, "I do not know."
The Lord will point, "Please step below."

Older than me granny's foot and twice as corny.
Posted By: Cowboy_Monkey Re: Sanctity of Books - 04/22/15 12:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
heh

formerly known as etaoin...

And Buckwheat say, "OOOOOOH TAY!"
© Wordsmith.org